Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-01-2023, 05:43 AM   #501
Kesendeja

Default Re: [Space/Thaumatology] Stargate: Fantasy - Worldbuilding thread

6. The dominant power in their home system (a peer opponent to minor System Lords). This sounds good to me.
Old 03-01-2023, 06:14 AM   #502
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Frolechi Question II
I would say 5: dominant on one planet, probably with some minor offworld holdings. They can probably hold off the System Lords, but can't really compete with them (and if one of the big ones really wanted to, he or she could probably take their planet from them; fortunately, most don't see their planet as being worth the trouble) - and that's probably a big part of why they've sent G'annan to the Tau'ri, particularly if a parallel to what happened in the movie - them taking out the biggest, baddest System Lord around during their first foray through the Stargate - happens in our setting. An ally like that may be just what the Frolechi need.
Old 03-01-2023, 07:51 AM   #503
TGLS

9) The Frolechi can exert influence comparable to a dominant power on one planet, but they are also nomadic and scattered all over the galaxy. A hypothetical Frolechi superconfederation could exert enormous influence (maybe on the scale of a major system lord), but that remains a pipe dream, for the moment.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 08:06 AM   #504
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

5, 6, or TGLS's version of 9 (which is very similar to 6). 4, 7, and 3 are also good.

I'll be honest, I don't see much difference between 5 and 6.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 01:22 PM   #505
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
That depends on what else is in their home system, and whether the Frolechi have spacecraft, both of which are for later questions (though not the next question, which is about spying), because I'm not organized enough. Poll remains open until some time tomorrow, probably, but right now it looks like 6 is winning.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 03-03-2023 at 01:26 PM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 01:44 PM   #506
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I interpreted it as a matter of scale. "Dominant power on one planet" implies they have control of the planet, but cannot project their power very far - even if there are no other habitable planets in their system, there may be space stations, settlements on not-quite-habitable planets, etc. For example, the United Nations in The Expanse would count as dominant power on one planet (Earth), but not dominant power in their home system, as they have rivals in the form of the Martian Congressional Republic and, to a degree, the various Belter clans. And even if there aren't any other non-Frolechi settlements in their home system, if they lack the ability to project their power effectively into space (meaning the reason there aren't other settlements is more because nobody is interested - or perhaps aware of what's available - than because the Frolechi are powerful enough that nobody is will to risk it), they aren't a peer rival to minor System Lords.
Old 03-04-2023, 04:55 PM   #507
Prince Charon

Frolechi Question III

What is the Frolechi's first priority for espionage? (Not the only priority, just the first, but this filters everything else, including how they interact with the SGC.)

1. Trade (where does the money come from, where does it go, how can we get some...).

2. Diplomacy (who are their neighbors allied with, how strong are these alliances, who are their enemies, et cetra).

3. Military (the Frolechi are a warrior culture, and evaluate allies, enemies, and neutrals on that basis).

4. Something else (please specify).

Please remember to include the number(s) of your preferred option(s) when you vote.

Answer: There was a tie between 1 and 2, which I'm breaking in favor of 1.

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 03-08-2023 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-05-2023, 05:45 AM   #508
Kesendeja

2. Diplomacy (who are their neighbors allied with, how strong are these alliances, who are their enemies, et cetra).
Old 03-06-2023, 02:19 PM   #509
Prince Charon

So, is the question too boring or confusing, or is everyone else just too busy to reply?

Also, I'm thinking that I will post Questions about Frolechi space-travel capabilities before I post any about what-all is interesting in their home system.

-- Tacitus

Old 03-06-2023, 02:26 PM   #510
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
So, is the question too boring or confusing, or is everyone else just too busy to reply?
I'm too busy and the question is too hard!

I hate to say 1 or 3, and set everything back to neutral, but that's my honest answer. also: 4a) They're looking for people to absorb into their society. or 4b) they're looking for new lands to settle.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aliens, fantasy, space, thaumatology, worldbuilding