Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-01-2017, 03:30 AM   #41
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: High Skill Vs Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Azagthoth View Post
Isn't there a rule that skills known only at default level lack the specials you would have if you put points in it (even if it's only 1pt)?

Maybe it's wise the describe the skills he only knows at default what they actually do for him (based upon the skill it defaults from).
That is correct:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Set page 173
Regardless of your default skill level, you do not get the special benefits of a skill – especially combat bonuses such as improved damage, special defenses, and unpenalized off-hand use – when you use a skill at default. To enjoy these benefits, you must spend at least one point on the skill.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:33 AM   #42
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
You don't understand why IQ! is disliked?

Let's start with it being a 10 point raise to over 270 different skills... yes, I know IQ is just a 20 point 'talent' for over 270 skills... but at least it's 20 points!

There are reasons why in my non-DF games I've separated out Per and Will and don't allow IQ to go above 16.
I don't so much like it as believe it's required to make most realistic smart people. But it's only a problem if you rigidly follow disad limits. I don't think many GMs and players actually do that, so it's not really a problem.
But I'm sorry for taking the accidental bait again with this thread derailment.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:22 AM   #43
AlexanderHowl

Why hate on IQ and not DX? DX effects nearly as many skills and many of those skills are combat skills that mean the difference between life and death. It also influences Basic Speed, which determines Basic Move and Initiative, so it is arguably the key attribute in the majority of GURPS games.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:06 AM   #44
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Why hate on IQ and not DX?
I hate on DX! as well. Also I limit all stats in my game to 16, so it's not like I'm just picking on IQ.

Quote:
DX effects nearly as many skills and many of those skills are combat skills that mean the difference between life and death. It also influences Basic Speed, which determines Basic Move and Initiative, so it is arguably the key attribute in the majority of GURPS games.
In my games DX skills and IQ skills come in at roughly equal importance...

And I double checked my notes, IQ has only 143 skills (not 270*) and DX has 93.

There are 279 skills overall (not counting Magic or special circumstance skills like Innate Attack or Telepathy, etc).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:25 AM   #45
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Why hate on IQ and not DX? DX effects nearly as many skills and many of those skills are combat skills that mean the difference between life and death. It also influences Basic Speed, which determines Basic Move and Initiative, so it is arguably the key attribute in the majority of GURPS games.
  • DX does not effect as many skills as IQ
  • these DX skills have a much tighter focus than IQ skills. Many of them are different different forms of hitting people with fists, sticks, and projectiles, grappling, or moving around.
  • DX! costs more than IQ!
  • I have a much easier time seeing the full range of DX skills in people than IQ skills.
  • DX skills respond well to pumping just a few of them sky high, IQ skills don't.
  • DX skills tend to complement ST and HT, while IQ skills tend to demphasize them.

To be fair, DX is not the key attribute in my games. Its generally IQ.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:21 AM   #46
AlexanderHowl

If we take two characters, one with DX 20 and one with IQ 20, the majority of PCs will probably prefer the former to the latter because they can do more with DX 20 than with IQ 20. Yes, it is fun to play the supergenius on occasion, but the majority of games tend to focus around combat and DX is much more important than IQ when it comes to combat. In the majority of games, a Guns (Pistol) skill of 25 (from DX 20) is much more important than an Anthropology skill of 25 (from IQ 20).
Old 11-01-2017, 09:28 AM   #47
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
You don't understand why IQ! is disliked?...[list of reasons]
Let me add one more: For a GM, IQ! is the least important part of IQ for a hero. Low Per means the PC is bad at noticing stuff, and low Will means they are easily dominated. In GURPS the "schmott guy" in the party is usually the one who covers this.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:10 AM   #48
talonthehand

Quote:
If we take two characters, one with DX 20 and one with IQ 20, the majority of PCs will probably prefer the former to the latter because they can do more with DX 20 than with IQ 20. Yes, it is fun to play the supergenius on occasion, but the majority of games tend to focus around combat and DX is much more important than IQ when it comes to combat. In the majority of games, a Guns (Pistol) skill of 25 (from DX 20) is much more important than an Anthropology skill of 25 (from IQ 20).
"Majority of games where magic doesn't exist" maybe - spells in almost every way I can think of them have IQ as the base stat, and fantasy games are more common than detective ones.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #49
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I don't so much like it as believe it's required to make most realistic smart people. But it's only a problem if you rigidly follow disad limits. I don't think many GMs and players actually do that, so it's not really a problem.
But I'm sorry for taking the accidental bait again with this thread derailment.
Attributes are very reasonably considered in regards to Skill v. Talent. Indeed, it was a problem with the OP's post that he didn't mention what any of the Attributes were. Talent is more likely a substitute for Attributes rather than Skills.

It's a problem with Talents that they often aren't much of a bargain compared to Skills.

Then there's "Disad limits". The only way to be rigid about a Disad Limit is for the GM in question to create one. There is no default Disad Limit in 4e.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:32 AM   #50
AlexanderHowl

50% of point value during character creation is the limit suggested in Characters.

Tags
defaults, healer, high skill, talent