Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #51
Lamech

Default Re: Talents for MH:RPM Paths okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
I think you missed the point of Sunrunners_Fire's example. If he can find a dozen or so of the recently devastated townsfolk who care more about revenge than their own lives, he can exact punishment on the person responsible for destroying the town. It needn't be a cynical ploy or a powergaming stunt, and can in fact be quite heroic (in a dark vengeance sort of way) if roleplayed properly. I suspect that such a character wouldn't make a standard practice of doing this sort of thing; but one of the points of RPM is that you don't need to make a standard practice of any given spell: the improv nature of spellcasting means that any given spell can potentially be a once-in-a-lifetime casting, suitable to the situation at hand but (hopefully) never to be repeated.

Personally, I'd go for an effect that's built around taking the energy from your willing sacrifices to summon their ghosts and/or the ghosts of the slain townsfolk, amp them up, and set them loose on the perpetrator. Much more satisfying and poetic to let the victims deal out justice directly, instead of just enabling you to do so on their behalf. Of course, that all depends on which Paths you know.

Oh, and I too am so looking forward to the RPM book. :)
Oh true, although I think that if I was in that situation I would simply use the magic to buff the town folks. Then the towns folk can just rip apart the target of their ire.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #52
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I really like this system. It would be nice to have clarification on greater vs. lesser on things like healing, etc.
I hope it goes without saying at this point that GURPS Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic will cover all this. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
I'm also not at all happy that GURPS needs a hard disadvantage limit.
It doesn't. There's no limit at all unless the GM wants one, and if the GM decides he does, there's no hard limit -- only a suggestion of 50% of power level. You can't get much softer than that, Peter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Yes, Magery is a Power Talent, and it seems rather absurd that there isn't an official RAW Power Talent for RPM.
Dude, I had to squeeze an new and complete magic system into nine pages. Seriously. You try doing that and see if some "it would sure be nice" things don't get left out. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
It seems like an intentional point sink to keep 400 point witches from overpowering other hunters. Which is fine for that setting specifically. But it causes problems for variants, especially lower point characters.
No, see my response to Peter immediately above. The lack of a Path Talent is due to short space and my not considering it necessary, given that the rules on pp. B89-91 seem to cover it all well enough. If you want a Path Talent, make one! (You'll see that there are no rules in MH1 forbidding it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
I hadn't really calculated the cost of being a RPM user until now. To have broad competency in RPM takes a LOT of points.
Being a powerful adept with broad competency costs a lot of points, yes. And it should. You're talking about being able to create nearly any effect you can imagine in a matter of seconds. Compare the cost of buying a few Alternative Abilities to buying Cosmic Power that can emulate any ability.

Being a competent RPM caster does not cost a lot of points. See the thread Ritual Path Magic for low-power campaigns for an example of what a caster in the 100- to 150-point range can look like, and how useful he can be. Hell, in said thread, I even included a mini-build for a competent 50-point RPM caster!

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:39 AM   #53
Dammann

RPK, I didn't intend it as criticism, and I hope you didn't take it that way!

I was just astonished. I feel like I am a few months (or years?) late to the RPM party, but it is a really cool system. It is also new to me. It does make sense that it is costly in character points, relative to a spell list. It is far more flexible and potentially powerful. I was just thinking of it in those terms (an alternative to a spell list) at first. I wanted to substitute RPM for spells for Druids in DF, but have come to see that it amounts to a lot bigger change than I initially conceived. It has taken some time to wrap my head around RPM, but I am getting it.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:37 AM   #54
PK

I certainly didn't take it as criticism! I just wanted to reply to give you that link, showing how RPM can be viable (if slower and requiring lots of preparation) at lower point levels.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #55
Dammann

Thank you! I've been following that thread.

I'll be using a downgraded version of Ritual Adept, with just the time reducing instruments, and some of my own Path Skills (actually, Paths suggested by Refplace from the forum) to keep my Druids focused firmly on nature. I like the idea of Druids who must prepare for delving in a sacred grove to make charms. I wanted to stay close to RPM so that my DF campaign can benefit from the supplement you're writing, but some tailoring seemed in order.

I am having a little trouble getting GCA to work right with the caps on Paths, as discussed here. I think that changing the Magery related effects on RPM is what is causing the complications, but I am learning a lot about how to create a .gdf, at least.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ritual path magic, talent