Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-21-2023, 09:29 AM   #11
sjmdw45

Default Re: DFRPG Spell Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
So I'm left wondering if anyone ever got around to making a version of Spell Charts for DFRPG, or at least a list of cases where prerequisites have been changed. I've started work on such a project but it looks rather daunting honestly. (I've been going alphabetically and I've gotten as far as "ethereal body".)
Crude but functional spell prereq visualizer: https://maxwilson.github.io/dfSpells/

It will auto-expand any prereqs for which there is only one choice, which is most of them.

Last edited by sjmdw45; 01-21-2023 at 09:40 AM.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 03:44 AM   #12
Juan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45 View Post
Crude but functional spell prereq visualizer: https://maxwilson.github.io/dfSpells/

It will auto-expand any prereqs for which there is only one choice, which is most of them.
Very useful, indeed.
Thanks for sharing!
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 09:39 PM   #13
tbone

This isn't what you're looking for, but you might find it interesting or useful: A categorization of DFRPG wizardly spells by Magery prerequisite.

It's mainly good for answering the question "so what spells can I learn if I'm a non-wizard half-elf?"

https://www.gamesdiner.com/dfrpg-res...ly-spell-list/

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 10:23 PM   #14
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
This isn't what you're looking for, but you might find it interesting or useful: A categorization of DFRPG wizardly spells by Magery prerequisite.

It's mainly good for answering the question "so what spells can I learn if I'm a non-wizard half-elf?"

https://www.gamesdiner.com/dfrpg-res...ly-spell-list/
This is a bit off topic but I'll say it anyway: there are some really good spells on the Magery 0 list, and some of them are even better for Scouts, Martial Artists, etc. than they are for wizards.

For example, Sound Jet is a decent spell, right? For 2-4 FP a wizard can get one chance at inflicting a HT-4 stun on an enemy (subject to Dodge, potentially with retreat bonuses), with recovery also at HT-4. If you all-out attack you can get TWO chances at HT-4. Furthermore it works with no extra cost even on SZ +3 Homogeneous creatures.

But if you're a martial artist with Uninterrupted Flurry and Extra Attack you can get FIVE attacks per 4 FP expended, all at that same HT-4 (and range 4). That's potentially even more cost-effective than Kiai especially considering the recovery penalty. Edit: make that seven attacks with Rapid Strike.

Melee spells also have potential. It's not completely clear whether injuring an enemy in the skull with Dehydrate or Frostbite requires an attack roll with a hit location penalty, or allows a defense roll in addition to the HT resistance roll, but if it does then a Scout or Martial Artist is going to be better than a wizard or druid at landing a skull hit. (A scout's Staff skill starts at 17, vs. Staff-14 for a wizard.)

Last edited by sjmdw45; 01-23-2023 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-23-2023, 12:31 AM   #15
Balor Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45 View Post
Melee spells also have potential. It's not completely clear whether injuring an enemy in the skull with Dehydrate or Frostbite requires an attack roll with a hit location penalty, or allows a defense roll in addition to the HT resistance roll, but if it does then a Scout or Martial Artist is going to be better than a wizard or druid at landing a skull hit. (A scout's Staff skill starts at 17, vs. Staff-14 for a wizard.)
Dehydrate and Frostbite are Regular spells not Melee and, this is what makes them awesome, don't do Damage -- they do Injury. So hitting the skull isn't a thing but neither is Diffuse.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 06:20 AM   #16
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
Dehydrate and Frostbite are Regular spells not Melee and, this is what makes them awesome, don't do Damage -- they do Injury. So hitting the skull isn't a thing but neither is Diffuse.
You don't get a damage multiplier for skull injury, but the spell says you can choose which body part to injure:
"Cast from a distance, it affects the whole victim; cast by touch, harm is limited to the part touched. Armor doesn’t protect!"
Frostbite and Dehydrate both have this language. It's unclear what mechanics are involved in touching an opponent while casting a regular spell, but it's clear at least that you can disable a limb or extremity by injuring it, and of course major injury to the skull imposes a -10 penalty on knockdown rolls.

If the GM rules that an attack/defense roll is required, Scouts and Martial Artists will have an advantage over wizards with these two spells. Edit: on second thought, I guess it's not much of an advantage, because the wizard could just cast a spell like Agonize, Tickle, or Sleep that also disables the enemy on a failed HT quick contest--the only advantage the scout hypothetically gains is that Dehydrate/Frostbite is cheaper and potentially knocks them unconscious for longer.

The Sound Jet synergy is still pretty awesome, and Invisibility also pays greater dividends for a warrior than a wizard. (Instead of just a runaround attack, you'll get a true rear attack, with all of your Extra Attacks.)

Last edited by sjmdw45; 01-24-2023 at 11:07 AM.