Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 02-25-2019, 12:11 PM   #51
Maximum7

Default Re: What could a scientist in my Star Wars RPG be researching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
Ecology of the Akkadese Maelstrom
HTML Code:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Akkadese_Maelstrom
All good but I can’t use the Purgill one. Too close to finding Ezra and Thrawn. The Maelstrom is too dangerous and the third one isn’t what I’m looking for. Do you have anything else?
Maximum7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:07 AM   #52
Lord Azagthoth

Extra-galactic research

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:24 PM   #53
Maximum7

Okay so my archeology idea didn’t work. My scientist is called upon by the New Republic to investigate why the supermassive black hole is more active than usual and sucking in things from a further range. I just need something for the scientist to be studying before he is called away. It has to sound fresh and cool.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:32 PM   #54
Maximum7

This time I found an idea. For real this time. Thanks for all your help!!!
Old 03-06-2019, 05:04 PM   #55
Maximum7

I decided to go with a quark star. It’s better than a black hole because we don’t even know if they exist. Perfect for expansion However, I still need something for him to be working on before he deals with the quark star. I’m looking not for a gadget or piece of tech. I’ve decided everything technological that we can think of, can be done. Speeders with deflector shields? Sure. We haven’t seen them but they can easily be done. I’m looking for something that would still be an emerging field of science. Something a Type II/III civilization would do next. Any ideas?
Old 03-06-2019, 05:55 PM   #56
Kax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
Maximum7
Im trying to write an RPG profile about a scientist who is working on something in the era of the New Republic. He does not believe in the Force. I just need something for him to be researching.

The composition of and relationship between living and/or semi-living crystals on different planets and how they are so similar across the galaxy despite mineral composition.

Not directly to do with the Force, as there are known sentient crystals and crystalline beings in the lore.

It has relevance to PCs, esp Jedi, as everything that is force-active is alive in some way, and lightsabre crystals are force-active. So 'attunement' to a crystal is actually telepathically making friends with a semi-sentient crystal and persuading it to let you use its power-modification and concentration abilities.

Which is why the Sith use artificial ones; they are 'brainwashed' to accept attunement because natural creatures stay away from the Sith.

They can be used without attunement but at lower efficiency.

There: within lore, relevant, visibly useful, has relevance to PCs, can happily get the PCs is all sorts of scrapes, but isn't going to change the universe.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:57 PM   #57
Kax

Quote:
I decided to go with a quark star. It’s better than a black hole because we don’t even know if they exist.

Yes we do, because a bunch of our observations can't be anything else--they tried alternatives.

Also, black holes exist in SW canon.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:26 PM   #58
Maximum7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kax View Post
Yes we do, because a bunch of our observations can't be anything else--they tried alternatives.

Also, black holes exist in SW canon.

Sorry I meant to say we don’t know if quark stars exist. Sorry. I worded it wrong.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:52 AM   #59
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
I decided to go with a quark star. It’s better than a black hole because we don’t even know if they exist. Perfect for expansion However, I still need something for him to be working on before he deals with the quark star. I’m looking not for a gadget or piece of tech. I’ve decided everything technological that we can think of, can be done. Speeders with deflector shields? Sure. We haven’t seen them but they can easily be done. I’m looking for something that would still be an emerging field of science. Something a Type II/III civilization would do next. Any ideas?
Stargates. Instant transport from point-to-point (only well outside major gravity wells, so you still need ships) but requiring massive expensive infra-structure on each end. Maybe it's been like flying machines on Earth, people dreamed of them and tried to build them for millennia, but never succeeded and it became a byword for futility, until Wilbur and Orville finally did it (and they couldn't do it until other people had produced the necessary ingredients).

Maybe people have been researching the theoretical possibility of stargates since before the Republic was founded, but nobody could ever translate theory into practice successfully. Or maybe they succeeded but it was so dangerous they were never practical. (Roll 1d for each use of the gate. On a '1' the gate explodes catastrophically.)

Since our scientist doesn't believe in the Force, you might throw in a kicker whereby a Force-user can sense the explosion about to happen and take preventive measures, so Jedi and Sith and their ilk can use such gates safely and reliably but nobody else can. Since the researcher doesn't believe in the Force, he would be constantly looking for a mechanistic explanation that just isn't there to be found.

Last edited by Johnny1A.2; 03-07-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:23 PM   #60
Lord Azagthoth

Stargates did exist in the EU sending ships through hyperspace in a time before the Old Republic

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sci fi, star wars, technology