Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2022, 01:34 PM   #37
Witchking

Default Re: Handling cinematic spaceship fights and other sci-fi stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Here's the benchmark I go by — film reference only!

Han wants 10,000 whatevers in advance. Luke balks, saying they could almost by their own ship for that. Let's take him literally. So a simple spaceship costs more than 10,000, but not much more.

Luke sells his used landspeeder, an old model that isn't in demand anymore, for around 2,000, the amount of money they agreed to pay Han in advance. If we suppose this is comparable to selling an older model used car, then a new speeder might cost 10,000 to 15,000 easily. That is, its price is probably comparable to that of a simple, used spaceship.

So if you set the cost of a simple spaceship as about five times the cost of a ground vehicle, you're probably in the ballpark. Buying a spaceship would be comparable to buying a boat.

So if you want spaceships as common as they appear to be in Star Wars, just set their prices at about the same cost as an equivalent boat. This explains why some guy can afford to fly around in an old freighter but only military forces can afford cruisers and destroyers.
IIRC (and it has been 2 decades? since I watched OG Star Wars). Luke offers to sell his speeder and Obi-wan says that with the money he has that should be enough. No real way to know that number but my 2 creds is that 1000 is closer to Luke's contribution than 2000.

Tags
gurps 4th, gurps spaceships, sci fi