Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2021, 05:42 PM   #1
MWnRNC

Default Cyberpunk 2077 Guns

Just for fun, I've been thinking about how I'd convert guns featured in Cyberpunk 2077. These break down into three categories:

Power
These are conventional guns that use cased ammo and allow you to use ricochets to hit targets at odd angles, around cover, etc. There are examples of Power revolvers, semi-auto & machine pistols, shotguns, SMGs, ARs, sniper rifles, and a LMG. Conservatively, I'd probably just use stats from TL8 guns and allow certain cyberware to grant the Bank Shot perk. Several weapons, such as Tamayura or Liberty seem like Desert Eagles or 1911s with the serial numbers filed off.

Would there be any reasonable, incremental improvements to guns firing cased ammunition from TL8 to TL9?

Tech
Tech weapons are described as rail guns and their gimmick is that they can be charged up before being fired in order to produce a more powerful shot that can also penetrate cover or walls. They explicitly use caseless ammunition and their reloads often look like they include some kind of power supply as well as bullets. The lore describes them as expensive and finicky to maintain. There are examples of tech revolvers, semi-auto pistols, a double-barrel shotgun, and sniper rifles. The Electrothermal-Chemical (ETC) option paired with TL9 caseless guns could fit, but TL10 electromagnetic guns might be more game-accurate, albeit with significantly fewer Shots.

I seem to remember that gauss weapons allowed boosted velocity shots, similar to the liquid propellant option, but I'm not sure this is RAW. Maybe this could be an alternate firing mode that increases damage but requires a few seconds between each shot?

Smart
Smart guns fire bullets that home in on their target once fired. The lore describes them as using gyrojets to fire caseless guided "micro-projectiles." Smart guns require particular cyberware (a Smart Link) to function and are somewhat rare/expensive. Once you aim at the target, your shots will curve and arc in the air toward it, even taking hard turns in order to hit behind or over cover. Some cyberware can jam the smart bullets, reducing their chance to hit. A particular advanced smart pistol allows you to specify limb vs. headshots for the gun. There are examples of smart machine pistols, shotguns, SMGs, an AR, and a sniper rifle.

This seems like the hardest one to convert. Gyrocs seem like the closest fit at TL9, but are also kind of the opposite of CP2077's presentation. Gyrocs have high damage, low RoF, and low Shots, while smart guns tend to have lower damage, high RoF, and high Shots. Smart guns also don't have lower damage at close range and, when fired from the hip, it sees like they should use their relevant Guns specialization, not Guns (Gyroc).

Higher-TL homing projectiles fired from conventional TL9 guns is another option, but since Infrared homing isn't available for 7mm ammo until TL11, each round ends up costing over $8 (assuming TL9 setting), which doesn't seem conducive to the "bullet-swarm" style in the game. Perhaps they are radio guided, rather than homing? If so, I don't see any Ultra-Tech options for guided bullets. One of the weapon's features may be programming it to try and hit the head or a limb, allowing the projectile to make its attack roll at a -7 or -2. I'm not sure about the bullet curving around cover, though. I'm wary of making smart guns too much like a magic missile that always hits.

I appreciate any thoughts or assistance on these!

Last edited by MWnRNC; 02-12-2021 at 05:52 PM.
MWnRNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cyberpunk, guns, ultra tech