Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-18-2021, 10:51 PM   #1
Michael Thayne

Default [Banestorm][DF][Fantasy][Magic] Was Dependency (Mana) a mistake?

GURPS Fantasy and GURPS Magic (all references are to Fourth Edition) have some templates with Dependency (Mana; Common; Constantly) [-50]. That -50 points seems rather excessive, given that in many fantasy worlds no-mana zones are extremely rare. So Banestorm and Dungeon Fantasy 3: The Next Level downgraded this to (Mana; Very Common; Constantly) [-25], which is definitely an improvement. But it still seems like too many points. For comparison, Weakness (1d per minute; uncommon substance or condition) is only worth -20 points, and does more damage per minute than being deprived of a Dependency with a frequency of "Constantly", which does causes only 1 point of HP loss per minute. It seems like a fairer approach to beings that need mana to survive would be Weakness (No-mana zones; 1d per minute) [-10]. If you want to preserve the existing point cost of racial templates that use the -25 point Dependency, you could add something like Vulnerability x3 (Meteoric Iron) [-15]. The Inner Light power-up from Dungeon Fantasy 11 could then work like this:
  • Level 1: reduce Weakness to 1d per five minutes and Vulnerability to x2 (10 points).
  • Level 2: reduce Weakness to 1d per hour and Vulnerability to x1.5 (18 points).
  • Level 3: Completely remove both Weakness and Vulnerability (25 points).
Thoughts on this approach? Anyone want to speak up for RAW on this?

Last edited by Michael Thayne; 11-20-2021 at 01:01 PM.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 06:47 AM   #2
Gnome

Default Re: [Banestorm][DF][Fantasy][Magic] Was Dependency (Mana) a mistake?

I love your house rule, will most likely reinterpret those templates in light of it for future games. Agree entirely with you on the RAW.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 01:01 PM   #3
Michael Thayne

Thanks! I really appreciate that I'm on the right track with this.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 09:20 PM   #4
Alden Loveshade

I think this is one of those Disadvantages that's largely campaign-specific (Dependency effectively has virtually endless variations in GURPS Basic Set p. 130). In a campaign where mana is everywhere and can't be "shut down," I wouldn't allow it for a PC. In a campaign where mana in nowhere, I wouldn't allow it for a PC (unless the player only wanted to play that character for five minutes....)

The -25 price listed in GURPS Banestorm is for a campaign that's "by-the-book" for that world (I've been involved in a few such campaigns).

And actually, GURPS Fantasy has it listed at the same -25 points on p. 108. The -50 is for a different case. Pages 132-133 have it varying from -5 to -30. So in GURPS Fantasy, unless I'm missing an example, the price can vary from -5 to -50.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote