Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 08-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #11
Jim Kane
Banned

Default Re: Roman-style Chariots and racing - ala' Ben Hur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
... All of the above is both a bit more crunchy than TFT usually goes with things (though not a whole lot), and also manages to not really provide everything I'd really want, even at the TFT scale.

Specifically, they all fail to really address mapped combat details (sigh) such as what the counters would look like for the chariots and things like where the sides and wheels and animal attachments are and what their actual specific hex-by-hex effects are. But they give various good well-thought out ideas for how fast they ought to be able to go, what DX penalties ought to be like, how tightly they can turn, tricks you can do, what sorts of animals and their training you might use, etc.
Thanks for the info Skarg. Seems you and I have the same interest and need for chariots in combat for TFT, beyond just the racing and basic transportation aspect.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:15 PM   #12
JLV

You know, it sounds like there's a basic idea for a really good mini-game here -- on about the same scale as Melee. You'd need a bigger map, but probably fewer counters, and you could create rules for both chariot races and chariot-to-chariot combat (call it Circus Maximus -- I'm pretty sure the old AH game's name is no longer trademarked...). As a bonus you could throw in a table of things like chariots, wagons, carriages and stage coaches (which were used in renaissance Europe long before they were in the old west) showing their speed, number of horses/animals required, and carrying/load capacity in people and pounds. It would be a pretty cool thing, in my estimate.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #13
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
You know, it sounds like there's a basic idea for a really good mini-game here -- on about the same scale as Melee. You'd need a bigger map, but probably fewer counters, and you could create rules for both chariot races and chariot-to-chariot combat (call it Circus Maximus -- I'm pretty sure the old AH game's name is no longer trademarked...). As a bonus you could throw in a table of things like chariots, wagons, carriages and stage coaches (which were used in renaissance Europe long before they were in the old west) showing their speed, number of horses/animals required, and carrying/load capacity in people and pounds. It would be a pretty cool thing, in my estimate.
^THIS^ is a great idea for a MicroGame! When Car Wars first came out - as a TSG article, which you had to *Xerox* out of the magazine - all you had was a strip of straight road, and iirc, a curve. If they were not going to produce one big map, couldn't they do the same thing this a straight section and a curved section, which we move around as the vehicles progress?

JK
Old 08-13-2018, 08:11 PM   #14
JLV

Brilliant! I'd forgotten that! That would work just fine. They could even throw in a couple of curves and straights so you could simulate a road OR a circus type environment.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:06 PM   #15
Jim Kane
Banned

Right, that is what I was thinking JLV; if one big fold-out map (like Midville) was not feasible to produce, 2 sections of a circus map, which you could move about would be fine with me.

Would TFT Chariots be able to do the "Bootlegger Reverse" maneuver? LOL!

JK
Old 08-14-2018, 02:07 AM   #16
JLV

LOL! It would be tough on the horses! You could even do a chase scene with something like that -- wolves chasing the Troika, if you know your Russian legendry! ;-)