Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 08-10-2018, 12:04 PM   #21
JLV

Default Re: Who will replace the Hymenopterans?

I would very much support something like this. I like my favorite authors (and what is a game designer but a somewhat specialized author?) to cooperate!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:17 PM   #22
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Shadekeep - Got your mail, and I shall be in touch. Thank you! I am definitely a Vance fan, and I love the idea of a respectful treatment of his work.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:48 PM   #23
stefanj

Jack Vance's work had a profound effect on all of my RPG writing. It would be so cool for TFT to be the official RPG venue for The Dragon Masters.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:43 PM   #24
J. Durr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Howard Thompson has the rights to Chitin I, so to be safe, Steve Jackson is not carrying them across. Legally he is likely OK, but better safe than sorry.
Getting off topic here, but did SJG get the rights to TFT back from Thompson personally, or did they lapse somehow?
J. Durr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:43 AM   #25
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Durr View Post
Getting off topic here, but did SJG get the rights to TFT back from Thompson personally, or did they lapse somehow?
Steve Jackson was able to terminate his copyright assignment to Metagaming because 35 years had passed since the assignment. Here's info about the law. It apparently required significant legal work, not just allowing it to lapse.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:50 AM   #26
DarkPumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Just heard back from Jack's son John, the executor of the Vance estate, and he is happy to allow the "dragons" from The Dragon Masters to appear in The Fantasy Trip. Obviously they would be used under permission of Jack's estate, and with credit to Jack. If Steve Jackson is reading this thread, I would be happy to speak directly with him as to how this might work.

I am further discussing with the Vance estate the idea of creating a full-blown Dragon Masters supplement book, with the beasts as well as the characters and settings from the story. This would include stats for TFT, and possibly other systems, depending on how the arrangement with SJG pans on the inclusion of Vance's Dragons directly into the system.

I'm excited, can you tell? ^_^
This is awesome news! Card-carrying Vance fan here (my proudest fan moment was proof-reading one of my favorite books, Cugel's Saga, for the VIE).
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:24 AM   #27
zot

So now I'm reading The Dragon Masters (about two thirds through it). It must have influenced Cidri a lot, people use old weapons -- even blunderbusses -- and there are technological artifacts that the general populace has no idea how to build or maintain. Dying Earth seems to have even more overlap because it has all that and adds magic to it.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:56 AM   #28
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPumpkin View Post
This is awesome news! Card-carrying Vance fan here (my proudest fan moment was proof-reading one of my favorite books, Cugel's Saga, for the VIE).
Well done! The VIE editions are the basis of the books now being published via Spatterlight Press. I am a cover artist for them, among other things, and have done the covers of all the mystery novels and some of the science fiction titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
So now I'm reading The Dragon Masters (about two thirds through it). It must have influenced Cidri a lot, people use old weapons -- even blunderbusses -- and there are technological artifacts that the general populace has no idea how to build or maintain. Dying Earth seems to have even more overlap because it has all that and adds magic to it.
Indeed, it seems to have had quite an influence. A couple other literary notes I've recognised in TFT are that the Mnoren are reminiscent of the Amberites from Zelazny's Amber books (though not quite so powerful), and the Slinker almost certainly was inspired by the creatures of the same name in Stanley G. Weinbaum's story "The Mad Moon". I don't consider these outright theft (nor do I consider Chitin:I to be per se stealing from The Dragon Masters), but more in the sense of tribute and pastiche. We all of us stand on the stones of the past.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:30 PM   #29
Refplace

Quote:
I don't consider these outright theft (nor do I consider Chitin:I to be per se stealing from The Dragon Masters), but more in the sense of tribute and pastiche. We all of us stand on the stones of the past.
Yeah, I have seen a lot of what I think of as derivative work in books and games and think of most of it as complimentary rather than piracy. Especially when as SJG tends to do the source is credited.
GURPS had I believe two Vance based licensed settings for Third Edition, would love to see those revisited.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:11 AM   #30
Chris Rice

Quote:
Just heard back from Jack's son John, the executor of the Vance estate, and he is happy to allow the "dragons" from The Dragon Masters to appear in The Fantasy Trip. Obviously they would be used under permission of Jack's estate, and with credit to Jack. If Steve Jackson is reading this thread, I would be happy to speak directly with him as to how this might work.

I am further discussing with the Vance estate the idea of creating a full-blown Dragon Masters supplement book, with the beasts as well as the characters and settings from the story. This would include stats for TFT, and possibly other systems, depending on how the arrangement with SJG pans on the inclusion of Vance's Dragons directly into the system.

I'm excited, can you tell? ^_^

Errrrm. Wow! Not sure what else to say. Wow!
Chris Rice is online now   Reply With Quote