Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-06-2021, 08:01 PM   #31
TippetsTX

Default Re: Cidri's Got Talent!

Idea for a mage/witch hunter character...

IQ 12 - RESIST MAGIKS (3)
Thru special training and strength of will, thrown or any non-missle spells that target the character directly have a harder time taking effect. Wizards must roll 'to hit' on 4D instead of 3.

Some barbarian tribes believe it is their ritual tattoos that provide this protection (and will reject any claims to the contrary), but the true source is their own power.
Old 12-07-2021, 02:50 AM   #32
David Bofinger

I like the idea of something like a Resist Magic talent.

In some sense it's like a weaker version of the Spell Shield spell, but always on.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 06:55 AM   #33
David Bofinger

Idea:

Create a Resist Magic action, analogous to Defend or Dodge. It has the benefit of forcing wizards to roll 4/DX in some circumstances, along with other benefits like providing a free Disbelieve against any Illusion that inflicts damage on the resisting figure (if it succeeds no damage is taken) and taking a die off any saving roll against magic. (Like Disbelieve, it is actually a spell so simple that anyone can cast it, though in many cultures it is believed to be something else.)

The Resist Magic talent provides the same benefits as the Resist Magic action, and mostly stacks with it.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:24 AM   #34
Shostak

The talent and action are both interesting! What do you think of the idea that the talent be tiered instead of all-or-nothing so that each level (max 3) imposes -1DX to spells cast on the subject? Another thought would be to make ST meaningful in this, by lowering the IQ prerequisite (possibly as far as 7) but making higher levels of ST necessary to get the successive levels of the talent—maybe 10, 12, and 14.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 01:23 PM   #35
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
The talent and action are both interesting! What do you think of the idea that the talent be tiered instead of all-or-nothing so that each level (max 3) imposes -1DX to spells cast on the subject? Another thought would be to make ST meaningful in this, by lowering the IQ prerequisite (possibly as far as 7) but making higher levels of ST necessary to get the successive levels of the talent—maybe 10, 12, and 14.
Heh, I'm always thinking about talents that can be 'tiered'. In my own game, this talent is intended to be available to Legendary-tier characters only, but I am considering a lesser version for Veterans.

As context, this ability was originally limited to demons (4d roll vs lesser demons and 5d for greater) and stronger dragons in my campaign. I want it to remain rare among PCs.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:35 AM   #36
hcobb

IQ 8 - Pertinacious (2, Heroes only)
Heroes with this talent roll to resist control (or other magical control type effects such as the gaze of the Basilisk, or disbelieve illusions) against the higher of ST or IQ. They also gain a 4d6 roll (against the higher of ST or IQ) to resist mental magical effects that normally don't have a saving throw. (Such as the Sleep spell, but not the gas bomb.)

Last edited by hcobb; 12-08-2021 at 02:44 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 02:00 PM   #37
Shostak

Indomitable is in Hexagram 8 and does give some resistance to control magic.

edit: the post this was in reference to has been edited to change "Indomitable" to "Pertinacious"

Last edited by Shostak; 12-09-2021 at 08:14 AM.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:18 AM   #38
David Bofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
What do you think of the idea that the talent be tiered instead of all-or-nothing so that each level (max 3) imposes -1DX to spells cast on the subject?
It's possible to do this with lots of talents. RAW does it for Missile Weapons, it could in principle be done for Alertness, Horsemanship, Detect Traps, etc. I guess Dark Cities kind of does this to some extent. But it's a whole different subject from discussing the talents themselves. Offhand I can't see much benefit.
Old 11-20-2022, 10:15 AM   #39
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
I used to include the 'defensive cloak technique' under FENCING, but now I put it (along with some other non-standard off-hand defenses) under SHIELD EXPERTISE.
A long overdue follow-up to this idea... we've had some fun w/ the following new talent in our playtesting sessions.

IQ 11 - CLOAK DEFENSE (1)
This talent allows the character to use their cloak or robe, when wrapped around their off-hand/shield arm, to parry hits as a Small Shield (stops 1 hit, no DX penalty). Alternatively, they may also use the loose end as a distraction or to entangle their opponent's weapon. This requires the character to make an off-hand attack at the appropriate penalty and on a successful 'hit' rolls 1d3 DX damage which is then applied to their opponent’s next strike. The character may not use the parry and attack options in the same turn.

Prerequisite: SHIELD PROFICIENCY or FENCING
Old 11-21-2022, 12:35 AM   #40
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
The character may not use the parry and attack options in the same turn.
To be honest, I have not been following this thread very closely. Have you elevated PARRY to a full and separate option?

If "yes", I see this as a bit of an unnecessary complication, but possibly acceptable. If "no" then my question becomes "why not?", as that alone (a separate PARRY option) seems most in keeping with what you're going for, with the cloak or other fabric simply designated an acceptable "weapon" for purposes of the PARRY?