Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-30-2021, 09:54 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Shock the Ogre

Did they ever fix the issue that Ogres can be shockwaved to death by cruise missiles exploding outside of Secondary Battery range in minis, but not the boardgame?

In either case AP guns need a 14+ interception roll, with a +1 to the roll for each doubling of AP guns used for the interception. (Matches to GURPS OGRE also, and otherwise there's no point in shocking Ogres at all.)

Last edited by hcobb; 11-30-2021 at 11:40 AM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 11:41 AM   #2
HeatDeath

Default Re: Shock the Ogre

I don't believe so.

CMs against Ogre components in the current OM 2e hardcover:

6e: insta death in the same hex (0-2"), 2-1 at 1 hex (2"-4"), and 1-2 at 2 hexes (4"-6"), no effect beyond 6".

OM: instadeath within 3", 4-1 at 3"-4", 3-1 at 4"-5", 2-1 at 5"-6". 1-1 at 6"-7".

They just do significantly more damage, significantly farther out.
The interception odds stay the same, except that the cm can travel half again as far before the defender gets their interception bonuses

And yeah, Ogre secondary batteries have a 4" range, so in OM, CMs can do 1-2 attacks against Ogres all day with no chance of being intercepted, once the mains are gone. In the boardgame, those CMs have to enter the 2-hex range ring, and the SBs get their interception shots in.

Funny thing is, I suspect that given the number of CMs you'll need to strip the Ogre with 1-2 attacks, you can fence the Ogre in with impassable 2" craters before you actually finish it off.

Last edited by HeatDeath; 11-30-2021 at 11:45 AM.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 11:48 AM   #3
HeatDeath

Dunno where you're getting the AP gun rule from - in both the Battlefields rules and OM 2e rulebook, AP guns can't intercept CMs at all, and even if they could, in OM the shot down cruise missile would still have 1/6 odds of instakilling the Ogre.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:50 PM   #4
hcobb

APs vs Cruise Missiles are covered at GURPS OGRE (July 2000) page 106.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:37 PM   #5
HeatDeath

Wow. Uh, ok.

I would be extremely cautious about backporting edge-case GURPS Vehicles rules (3D6 roll-under) back into either OM or 6e (1D6 CRT/2D6 roll over) until I'd verified that the GURPS Vehicles rules reproduced the probabilities of the core game mechanics correctly.

All this notwithstanding that the GURPS Vehicles stats, of dubious canonicity themselves, are completely unusable without GURPS Vehicles for GURPS 3e, and is that even available in PDF anymore? [Oh, hey! It is! http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...assic-vehicles ] It's not part of GURPS on Demand (though I for one would buy it on sight if it was. That and GURPS Man-To-Man.)

That being said, I'm really genuinely curious how you derived 14+ on 2D6 from 22 (+20) roll under on a 3D6. Math plz?
Old 11-30-2021, 01:55 PM   #6
hcobb

The math is for balance.

Mark III using all 8 APs in one shot vs off-board missile is 14 - 3 (three doublings) -3 for range is a 8+ or 41.67%. Two 4-AP shots at 9+ each is 47.8%. Four 2-AP shots at 10+ is 30.6% etc. This way you'll just roll all of the AP in one shot, rather than rolling them one at a time and taking all day. (Esp. at closer range)
Old 11-30-2021, 02:03 PM   #7
HeatDeath

I'm looking at P. 106 of GURPS Ogre and I still don't see where you're getting the doublings from, unless that's the "Aiming Successive Groups" rule from Vehicles p. 182-183?

[Which, again, I would take with a salt crystal the size of a small mountain until I'd established its mathematical compatibility with combat events that /are/ addressed in OM and 6e, like a Main Battery strike on a HVY, for example.]
Old 12-07-2021, 01:11 PM   #8
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
Funny thing is, I suspect that given the number of CMs you'll need to strip the Ogre with 1-2 attacks, you can fence the Ogre in with impassable 2" craters before you actually finish it off.
Why does this drum up visions of playing Go with Ogres?
Old 12-07-2021, 03:52 PM   #9
selenite

That would be a degenerate strategy for Kill the CP:

Fence CP off with craters at 3 hex radius, then kill the Ogre's missiles.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 04:15 PM   #10
HeatDeath

No good. CP's a D0 unit - it'll take a 4-1 attack from every CM that lands at range 3. It'd never survive the pounding.