Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-29-2022, 10:39 AM   #1
Bathawk

Default Attribute Transfer?

Hey I was wondering if there was simple way to recreate the ability of stealing someone's attribute and adding them to your own. I thought this would have been the "Leech" ability, but this seems just to steal the attrbute for purposes of healing

Am I correct the only way to accomplish this is by an affliction (attribute penalty) with the bonus attribute bought with a trigger? (and how much should that trigger be?)
Bathawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 12:50 PM   #2
Pursuivant

Default Re: Attribute Transfer?

GURPS Powers has expanded rules for Leech which should cover what you want. Treat it as a +100% enhancement to drain ST or HT, or +300% to drain DX or IQ.

Treat the drained traits added to your score as regular attribute levels, but with a -30% limitation (Trigger, Leeched Attributes).

Not perfect, but probably close enough.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 01:00 PM   #3
jason taylor

This would go well with fantasy that involves some sort of sympathetic magic, totemism or even sacrifice and cannibalism. You can for instance eat a dragon's heart to get it's strength.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:51 PM   #4
Bathawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
GURPS Powers has expanded rules for Leech which should cover what you want. Treat it as a +100% enhancement to drain ST or HT, or +300% to drain DX or IQ.

Treat the drained traits added to your score as regular attribute levels, but with a -30% limitation (Trigger, Leeched Attributes).

Not perfect, but probably close enough.
Yeah, may have to go with infliction +triggered attribute as it would be cheaper.

Same thing with absorption...as you would need DR: 100 (absorption, ST only +80%) for 900pts., just to get a +10 to your ST
Bathawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 06:52 AM   #5
BaHalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathawk View Post
Yeah, may have to go with infliction +triggered attribute as it would be cheaper.

Same thing with absorption...as you would need DR: 100 (absorption, ST only +80%) for 900pts., just to get a +10 to your ST
True, the version here at https://www.mygurps.com/index.php?n=...orptionRevised addresses that.

I have only two notes on that article:
1 - Being damaged would be a trigger*, as clarified on Powers (I think the article is older than powers, as it seems to have been written soon after the release of 4ed, because it refers to the 3ed rules (where absorption was a separated advantage) in the beginning).

(*but trigger -15% with -35% of reduced duration 1/60 is -50%. And half a point for every point you have for only one second and only after being hit still seems too expensive to me. But if going that way, it would be a 10% enhancement instead of 5%)

2 - And extended duration (in the final example) should be applied only over the absorption enhancement, not over DR itself (even if the basic set only mentions limited enhancements we have examples of enhanced enhancements in other books).

Last edited by BaHalus; 10-10-2022 at 06:55 AM.
BaHalus is offline   Reply With Quote