Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-30-2021, 11:14 AM   #1
whswhs

Default test driving GURPS Realm Management

I'm in the process of starting up a new GURPS campaign, set in the city of Pavonis Portal from GURPS City Stats, and this seems like a good time to try out GURPS Realm Management. So I'm going to post questions here as I work through the rules.

I'm assuming a starting time a few decades after the construction of the orbital elevator. I'm not going to start by assigning resource points and see what I can build; I already know what PP is like, but I'm going to try to describe this in RM terms and work backward to resource points.

So: The single crucial economic basis for PP's existence is the Mars orbital elevator, extending from Pavonis Mons to Deimos. Does that have a representation in terms of resource points? It's clearly not agriculture (most food is produced locally, but there's not a significant surplus); or military; or workforce. Could it count as a sort of natural resource? Or is good trade location something else entirely?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 11:28 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: test driving GURPS Realm Management

Pavonis Portal has 50,000 inhabitants, and is TL10, which grants a maximum sustainable carrying capacity of 600 inhabitants/square mile. That implies an area of at least 83.33 square miles, which will fit into a radius of 5.15 miles. Since Pavonis Portal has six sectors developed (out of 10 potential), it actually needs 138.89 square miles and a radius of 6.65 miles.

On one hand, in terms of area, it's about 1.7x a standard city-state's area, which falls under the 2x for +1; so its realm size value seems to be +7. On the other, its diameter is also about 1.7x a standard city-state's diameter, which is more than 1.5x but less than 2x, so it seems that its size in linear dimensions is +8—it's slightly stretched, perhaps.

Old 11-01-2021, 09:34 AM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
So: The single crucial economic basis for PP's existence is the Mars orbital elevator, extending from Pavonis Mons to Deimos. Does that have a representation in terms of resource points? It's clearly not agriculture (most food is produced locally, but there's not a significant surplus); or military; or workforce. Could it count as a sort of natural resource? Or is good trade location something else entirely?
I don't think your primary economic engine needs to be represented in Resource Points. The city is full of workers who pack and unpack goods for shipping elsewhere, and probably has a major hospitality industry as well. This is workforce really, though it might be of a specialized type. It also might not be good at doing anything beyond break and bulk packing.

Realistically, it probably has some industry, because industries pop up around break and bulk points.

The city doesn't actually have to control its surrounding farmland, though it might. if you can't feed your population via realm management, that means you'll need to continually be importing food, I think.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 02:07 PM   #4
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I don't think your primary economic engine needs to be represented in Resource Points. The city is full of workers who pack and unpack goods for shipping elsewhere, and probably has a major hospitality industry as well. This is workforce really, though it might be of a specialized type. It also might not be good at doing anything beyond break and bulk packing.
But it seems that the orbital elevator itself is a resource of some kind. Do you just ignore it?

Quote:
Realistically, it probably has some industry, because industries pop up around break and bulk points.

The city doesn't actually have to control its surrounding farmland, though it might. if you can't feed your population via realm management, that means you'll need to continually be importing food, I think.
My vision is that Martian cities grow their food inside the city walls and pressure; it wouldn't survive the cold and the low pressure on the surface.

Old 11-01-2021, 04:01 PM   #5
benz72

My assumption for Martian agriculture would have been tunnels and hydroponics, which implies the area can be below ‘normal’ surfaces like living domes &c. (Assuming those too are not in tunnels). How does RM handle stacking like that?
Old 11-01-2021, 04:05 PM   #6
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
My assumption for Martian agriculture would have been tunnels and hydroponics, which implies the area can be below ‘normal’ surfaces like living domes &c. (Assuming those too are not in tunnels). How does RM handle stacking like that?
That's a good question. I haven't been able to locate an answer yet.

Old 11-01-2021, 04:46 PM   #7
Anaraxes

Wouldn't you just use the effective usable area, regardless of how many levels that might be? It's not footprint on a planetary surface that matters, but useful square miles of space where you can do stuff. If you've got two levels under your dome which happens to have 0.5 mi^2 of area, you've got a 1.0 mi^2 realm. RM isn't really concerned with exactly how that working surface is arranged.

See the first full paragraph on RM p6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM 6
Some realms occupy complex or ill-defined spaces rather than simple blocks of territory. For instance, a tunnel complex may sprawl under thousands of square miles of land – some of which is accessible for occasional exploitation – but have a regularly inhabited area equal to that of the tunnel floors.
That section also suggests simply working backwards -- if you know the population and its productivity for its TL, then you can run the process in reverse to find out the realm's effective area.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 04:19 AM   #8
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
That section also suggests simply working backwards -- if you know the population and its productivity for its TL, then you can run the process in reverse to find out the realm's effective area.
On one hand, that might work. In fact I've already done the calculation: 50,000 inhabitants divided by 600 inhabitants per square mile gives 83.3 square miles or about 53,000 acres. I'm assuming that the inhabited areas are all underground, for protection against background radiation, and they could be stacked to take up less horizontal area. But on the other, I've been assuming that that 600 inhabitants per square mile could already assume some stacking, at least in the urban centers. I suppose maybe "a small percentage of the land has multistory buildings on it" isn't the same thing as "the entire inhabited area is multilevel" . . .

Checking GURPS Future History, I find that the population density of a European city ranges between 6400 and 32,000 per square mile, so a city of 50,000 would occupy between 1.56 and 7.8 square miles. Assuming it's fairly flat (tunneling laterally is no more expensive than tunneling vertically), just under 10% of the inhabited area would be "urban," while the rest would be "farmland." But is that assuming terrestrial ideas of what farmland or crops are like? On Mars, plants grow in (expensively) manufactured soil or in hydroponics; could the required area be significantly reduced?

Last edited by whswhs; 11-02-2021 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-02-2021, 08:21 AM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
But is that assuming terrestrial ideas of what farmland or crops are like? On Mars, plants grow in (expensively) manufactured soil or in hydroponics; could the required area be significantly reduced?
This is either the "Fertile Territory" or "Habitable Land" enhancements on p. 25 of GURPS Realm Management.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:57 AM   #10
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
But it seems that the orbital elevator itself is a resource of some kind. Do you just ignore it?

Its not a finite expendable resource though. Resource points are consumable and don't automatically regenerate. The orbital elevator is a static resource that generates wealth depending on the outer economy.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote