Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-17-2021, 06:46 AM   #1
Plane

Default can I turn a Mastiff or a Rat into a Lich?

These dogs live about 8 years and weigh up to 220 pounds.

One of the moral problems with creating a Lich Wraith is you're morally doing something nearly equivalent to killing/enslaving which is a big deal for stuff like humans.

The enslavement thing isn't as far off from how pets are kept though, and if you picked one that was about to die of old age, in a way you're saving them.

When I began to think of modifying stuff other than humans with the spell (items or pets) and naturally thought of dogs as man's best friend (and necromancer's best minion) it reminded me of https://hearthstone.fandom.com/wiki/Arfus

I think the Lich Wraith spell is probably only intended for sapient creatures (IQ6 minimum) which would put pets off limits, but the spell doesn't actually appear to specify that. It says "the wearer" so it seems like in theory you could do this by designing the "amulet" as a dog collar.

Going by B457's "Large Guard Dog" the IQ4 compared to IQ10 assumption for humans that the Racially Innate Spells are probably -6, so they could only be cast at skill 9 instead of the usual 15 for Death Touch / Steal Health / Ethereal Body ?

To get even sneakier, I could see a necromancer turning smaller animals such as rats into Lichs Wraiths. There's even less moral problems since they have shorter lifespans and people seem to be okay with just killing them with cats/traps due to pestilence.

Unlike a dog, a rat might instinctively remove a collar though, so you might need to either Hex the low-cost version so they can't, or else use the double-cost version which makes them Reprogammable so they can't.

Reprogrammable is probably a good idea for a rat since they're probably harder to train than a dog. Even for a dog it's a good idea since Reprogrammable is more of an absolute guarantee of loyalty.

Last edited by Plane; 05-18-2021 at 04:33 PM.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:05 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: can I turn a Mastiff or a Rat into a Lich?

"Lich" usually refers to a caster who made themselves immortal. Gurps Magic does have the wraith spell, and casting wraith on a dog is something I'd totally allow. Its fairly clever.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:50 AM   #3
Shuckster

Step one: Perform Beast possession on the dog
Step two: cast lich at a high enough level to not require incantations or gestures, succeed in your role
Step three: end beast possession.

Would this work?
Shuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:44 AM   #4
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"Lich" usually refers to a caster who made themselves immortal. Gurps Magic does have the wraith spell, and casting wraith on a dog is something I'd totally allow. Its fairly clever.
Ugh I was looking at the wraith spell the entire time but for some reason typed Lich =/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckster View Post
Step one: Perform Beast possession on the dog
Step two: cast lich at a high enough level to not require incantations or gestures, succeed in your role
Step three: end beast possession.

Would this work?
Sounds like an interesting idea, makes me glad I goofed
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:15 PM   #5
Shuckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Ugh I was looking at the wraith spell the entire time but for some reason typed Lich =/

Sounds like an interesting idea, makes me glad I goofed
one of four things would happen, I think

either the dog becomes a lich, the collar is an amulet and you are normal
you become a lich and the dog's collar is the amulet, the dog is normal
you become a lich and the dog is a living amulet, the collar is unaffected
the dog becomes a lich and you are a living amulet, the collar is unaffected
Shuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:13 PM   #6
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
You could try PMing a moderator to get the thread title changed, and edit the opening post.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
large guard dog, lich, mastiff, reprogrammable, sapient