Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 08-29-2004, 09:05 PM   #1
Jross007

Default Most common PC ship.

I was wondering, (as I made my custom deck plans,paper and pencil, not comp graphics.) what set of deck plans would people most want to get?

For Traveler , MegaTraveler and the New Era, I managed to get several sets of deck plans, Fat merchant, Far Trader, Free Trader, various Scouts.
I allways wanted to get a larger scale Gazelle, (Or Fiery.) And the 2 DEs from Fighting Ships would have been great.
I did get one set of the Adventure Class Ships, (which set escapes me, they in storage and not accessable right now.)
Of course none of the PC ships stayed stock for long, but in many cases it was install better drives, bigger guns , or expand the cargo section.
On of my favorites was taking a Gazelle (LBB version.) refitting it with the drives from High Guard (Going from TL-13 to TL-15, TL 15 fusion way helped.)
And converting the ship into an Armed Freighter. I managed to squeeze 95 Dtons of cargo space into the bottom most deck and still get J-4 and M-4 capabilities.
I have tried to do the same in almost all versions of the game I have played so far, and the only one that defeats me is GURPS. That DR of 1700 makes the hull too heavy to get going fast and leave room for cargo.
(Though a version that I designed with DR200 made a good ship.Cargo room and to spare.)

So , your thoughts and desires. And your favorite stock ships, before and after mods.

John Ross
Jross007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 10:36 PM   #2
DrTemp

Default Re: Most common PC ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jross007
So , your thoughts and desires. And your favorite stock ships, before and after mods.
Plain vanilla Empress Marava class. Good hull design (especially for dramatic purposes, the bridge crew looking at "something" in the captain's cabin), good legs (jump-2 is exactly what one needs most of the time), some cabins for the adventure hook passengers, anything one likes.
DrTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 01:24 AM   #3
AndrewTBP

I don't buy deck plans, since I don't game with miniatures. I did buy Snapshot and played it. Once.
The last time I ran a Traveller campaign the players got an Empress Marava. It was a GURPS Traveller campaign long before there was such a thing. Back in MegaTraveller days.
I have always speculated, with no evidence whatsoever, that the late Empress Marava was a very well endowed woman indeed.
AndrewTBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 03:08 AM   #4
hydranhunter

hi Jross007:

two things you can do to most ships to improve performance, go to external mounted drop tanks for 60-80% of your jump fuel. If you need to jump do it, come back in a week. if you need to run fast now jump 3+ fuel is just slowing you down. keep at least jump 2 internal, so you can make that emergency jump 1 and come back again without getting stranded.

Second "possible" option is "tweeking" the tecknowledgy level. At level 10 you get 40 thrust, at level 11 you get 100 thrust, at 12 you keep 100 thrust but get reduced maintenance. At "late level 13" you get 350 thrust and reduced maintenance...... This is a really BIG Jump. G:T Starships p138, Megathrusters G:T Starships p73

While completely "unofficial" I find it quite reasonable that somewhere in the research and development community there exist developed improved reactionless thrusters that are not quite "late level 13" but are certainly better than standard level 12. an improvement of 50-100% 150-200 thrust per module has to be out there somewhere and would probably be easier to insert than A full blown ultra tech level increase. Maybee its "late tech 12" or very early 13, or a proprietary prototype that is not cost effective to "mass produce" Details up to the Game master of course. "tempermental and none working at the worst possible time?"

Throw in a requirement for a workshop tooled specifically for the new drives and require the upgrade of computer programs and character skill to run/maintain it. If you can't find/make the special parts that increase the efficiency it still works as a very expensive level 12 at 100 thrust. (did I mention some corporation may want thier stolen (I know the players didn't steal it) prototype back)?... and have hired somebody to find it....

Ultimatly at tech 12 the "black globe" is a lot less weight than armor, if you can find use and maintain one.

Hydranhunter
hydranhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 11:02 PM   #5
LKW
GURPS Traveller Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewTBP
Back in MegaTraveller days.
I have always speculated, with no evidence whatsoever, that the late Empress Marava was a very well endowed woman indeed.
Given who designed that particular ship, I'm inclined to say these speculations are groundless.

Loren Wiseman
LKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 05:07 PM   #6
AndrewTBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKW
Given who designed that particular ship, I'm inclined to say these speculations are groundless.
Curses! Foiled again! I thought it was such an amusing explanation. :-)

Just out of curiosity, who did design the Empress Marava class?
AndrewTBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 07:12 PM   #7
far_trader

Quote:

I'm a little curious now too, but only because of the strange coincidence of a friend seeing some of my ships mocked up as a chess set (in the works) a few weeks back. I was pondering which to make the Queen and which the King (between the 400T and 600T subbies) and he said well the 600T is obviously the Queen for it is well endowed and the 400T is rather phallic so it must be the King. Anyway I'd never really looked at them that way before and now I can't get the imagery out of my mind lol... and now you go and suggest the Empress has similar features...

Oh, most common, probably a tie between the type S and the type A for actually getting and using as players. I can't recall the one we pooled our resources for in a brief TNE game. Personal favorite, a type M(Q). Increased power and maneuver. Upgraded computer. 50t missile bay, and pop-turrets in two of the three hardpoints with only the wimpy sandcaster showing. Troops and the launch upgraded to a fast chase and boarding gig. And all still allowing a good show of it as a standard subbie on the route, until some hijacker or pirate shows their hand <eg>
far_trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 09:26 PM   #8
LKW
GURPS Traveller Guru

Quote:

Marc Miller created the stats and the general layout, and Bill Keith drew the ship.
www.lorenwiseman.com
www.irbw.com
LKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 05:03 AM   #9
pyratejohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jross007
I was wondering, (as I made my custom deck plans,paper and pencil, not comp graphics.) what set of deck plans would people most want to get?

John Ross
Scout is far and away my favorite. My first LBB character was a scout, and I've loved them ever since. In fact, I just picked up a copy of the scout deck plans from ebay.

Next on my list would be the corsair. Actually, that would be first on my list now, since I have the scout!

I also have a fondness for both the Yacht and the Safari Ship.
pyratejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 06:12 AM   #10
Jame

I wrote up a better-jump, better-maneuver version of the CT Book 2 yacht recently, which may become a class unto itself. I haven't had a chance to run it, and something tells me I want to keep it under wraps for any coming contests, but it's cool. Especially the specific ship I wrote it up for...

Edit: I'd want deck plans of the 200-ton Zhodani Courier, 400-ton Vargr Corsair and 600-ton Zhodani Frigate from GT Aliens 1, plus the yacht.

http://www.coinich.com/traveller/portal.php is a Traveller site for a campaign in the Greater Boston, MA, USA area.

Last edited by Jame; 08-30-2004 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Adding note
Jame is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
traveller