Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 12-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #11
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: In Nomine Noir (backwards?)

My thoughts, as they come:

1) I have no problem with playing in a fictional City; if anything, it adds to the noir feel. The city is the world and the world the city -- the only difference a real-world name makes is that you sometimes get some good location shoots.

2) I believe in interactive character creation myself. (Of course, part of that is because I come out of a GURPS tradition, where the GM pretty much has to partner with the player in character creation, so that everyone knows what is or isn't appropriate for this particular game world.) In this case, an approach like the one in the on-hiatus 'Eli' game might work, to wit:

a) Give a rough idea of the main 'push' of the campaign. (Even if it's as basic as Mob Wars, Murder Mystery, or the like.) Don't give away any secrets, but it's nice to know whether Fat Tony The Gangster is an appropriate concept, or completely out of whack. (Uh, so to speak.)
b) Give a list of appropriate/inappropriate Words and Bands
c) Have the players make up 'rough draft' characters and submit them for review.
d) Talk out (through chat or e-mail) any changes or modifications needed to the character.

3) Co-creation with other players is an *excellent* idea in a campaign like this, where so much depends on the proper mood and theme. It makes a huge difference to the group dynamic if everyone is hard-bitten and cynical vs. having one or two PCs who are relative innocents (for Hell, anyway) having their eyes opened to a cruel world. (Or, this being noir, sometimes softening the Hearts of the more cynical characters as tragedy begins to enfold them all.)

4) I had to chuckle as you gave the plot outline ... yeah, that does describe about 80 percent of the noir out there, good or bad.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acolyte View Post
What do you think?
My preference would be for a real city (and I think especially for LA), but I can see why that might be difficult for you.

Quote:
What do you, the potential players, think?
Isn't restricting players to campaign appropriate characters something everybody does? I'd expect certain Bands and Superiors to be inappropriate, and would much rather get a list of such from the GM than have too much foreknowledge.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:49 PM   #13
JCD

(Shrug)

Place what restrictions you like on Word and Band. Don't care if it's a fictional or real place.

I tend to believe in evolving character creation. The player and the GM tend to have little idea where things are going or how the character's emphasis changes. But static or changing, it's all the same.

I just want to make sure that the game isn't a 'once every two week' post.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:42 AM   #14
Attercap

In an Internet-run game, I think it makes sense to use a fictional city--that way no one can use their real-life knowledge to get an edge on the other players... at least, geographically. That said, for general mood, it might be best to at least determine the region Cityville, USA is in--Pacific Northwest, East Coast, Midwest, etc.

If this game is going to go forward, count me in. Just let me know if there are any restricted or favored Bands/Superiors.

...Say, what if we all play Shedim of Factions? (Kidding!)
Old 12-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #15
Acolyte

I think there's enough interest to petition the powers that be to allow a game.

I'm sensing it wouldn't bother anyone too much with a fictional setting, and that you'd rather be surprised at the plot and just get a restricted list of starting options. Mixed backstories will be a must, I think.

As for posting regularity, if I were running a game I would post after every active/in-scene player had posted or 48 hours after my previous post, whichever came first, and would expect every player to do likewise, inescapable events in the real-world aside. Obviously the game would go much faster at the start (they always do), and occasionally slower (during a holiday weekend, for example), but after about three weeks or so I would expect whatever rhythm had been established to continue.

Currently, I see 6 interested posters (in no particular order):
Rocket Man
LadyArcana55
JCD
Attercap
Sir_Pudding
RudeBoyScott

Six players is at the max I'd like to handle for now (it's easy to have a lot of people in a pbp, but hard to push any kind of plot on a large group without having multiple threads/forums to work with). Once I am 100% sure of a start, I'll ask if you're willing to make a commitment. Yeehaw...getting a bit excited.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:42 AM   #16
JCD

Glad you are excited. And I like your posting policy. If I can't post in two days, check the hospitals.

That said, to get a PbP game going here, I've just started the thread. No permission needed. It's open provided you don't abuse it.

Hope that helps.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #17
rudeboyscott

Sounds good. If you can get your hands on a copy, Archon's NOIR game makes a pretty good go of a generic fictional city (always referred to as "The City"). I'd favor not knowing much about the overarching plot...in a good noir there's always that "aha" moment where things aren't like they seem. I don't have any band/superior combo in mind but I'm sure something will pop once you post a list of what'll work best.
rudeboyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:26 PM   #18
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
That said, to get a PbP game going here, I've just started the thread. No permission needed. It's open provided you don't abuse it.
So I see, reading the rules. Thanks.

Quote:
Sounds good. If you can get your hands on a copy, Archon's NOIR game makes a pretty good go of a generic fictional city (always referred to as "The City"). I'd favor not knowing much about the overarching plot...in a good noir there's always that "aha" moment where things aren't like they seem. I don't have any band/superior combo in mind but I'm sure something will pop once you post a list of what'll work best.
That brings up an interesting point. If there are any movies/comics/etc that you guys recommend as background, I'll try to take a look at them. Obviously, I've got my own noir sources, but I'm always up for looking at something else. I'll try to get the setting nailed down and a website set up over the next few days, so you can check it out before trying to solidify character concepts.

I use www.pbworks.com for my campaign websites, typically. Let me know if you have any problem registering with the site--they only harass me via email when I open a new wiki, so it shouldn't be a big problem.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:43 AM   #19
Acolyte

Alright, let's get this ball rolling. I've done the background work I think I need to do, and we can start talking about character concepts. The below information is to serve as a teaser and so we can begin the lengthy process of character generation. I'll work on getting a website up with much more detailed information, but feel free to discuss character concepts in this thread or by PM.

Character Concept Rules:
  • While Outcasts, Renegades, and rogue Ethereals can make tragic characters that fit the Noir setting, this adventure will feature travel to Hell, so only demons with Hearts (aka, serving a Prince or Free Lilim) are allowed
  • This is IN Backwards; while no demon will appear virtuous, the PCs are ultimately the good guys (aka, I want to root for your success)
  • Your PC must have a significant positive background interactions with at least one of the other PCs (aka there is some level of trust, mutual affection, or cooperation)
  • Your PC should be relatively "new" to "The City," reassigned as part of your Superior's attempt to get in on the power vacuum, but not overly new to Earthly duty ("Favored Servitor" status is assumed but not necessary)
  • Approved Words: Lust, Gluttony, Dark Humor, the Media, Theft, Technology (note that Technology and the Media will reflect the time period)
  • Possibly Approved Words: Secrets, Freedom, Factions (if the PC somehow focuses party-destroying impulses outward rather than inward)
  • Absolutely Denied Words: the Game, Greed, Fate
  • Uninvolved Words: the War, Nightmares, Fire, Death

Don't bother statting out a PC until we've talked about the concept. Expect a few house-rules once I get the information on a website.

The Setting, in brief:
The Earthly setting will be a bleak urbanscape located along the shores of the Great Lakes, with both its shipping and heavy industry decimated by the Great Depression (the game will take place in 1931; compare to Detroit, Duluth, Cleveland, Buffalo, etc). Previous to the Stock Market Crash, The City was Mammon's town. He controlled trade, profiteering, mafia, vice industries, etc, and allowed other celestials only at his sufferance. He set up a horrifying FOUR TETHERS to Greed in the town, and rumors in both Heaven and Hell suggested that he wouldn't be happy until the entire town was a portal to his Infernal Bank. But when he was assaulted in 1929 on Earth and in Hell, other forces moved on the town. Three of the Tethers were destroyed (possibly putting so many Tethers to one Word so close together was inherently unstable?), two of them replaced by darkly angelic ones. The one remaining Greed Tether has been the source of a bloody crackdown on Greed's "failing" Servitors, and so the town has been flooded by out-of-work demons serving many Words, hoping to wrest even more power from the very disfavored Servitors of Greed.

Angelic Tethers: to Stone (the Longshoreman's Union), to Fire (an unusual church with attached school and abbey), to Flowers (a speakeasy)
Demonic Tethers: Greed (a Mafia mansion), Fate (a gentleman's club)
Note: Two years ago, this town had 5 demonic Tethers and 1 angelic one; now, the balance has shifted and things are going from bad to worse, but this is just the situation for a young demon capable to make a name for himself

This will be a low contrast (demons and angels are both "bad guys"), low brightness (humanity is screwed either way), low-to-moderate humor setting (and it's all Kobal's kind).
Old 12-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #20
Attercap

The more I think about it, the more excited I'm getting for this game. My initial concept:

Tydhg, Djinn of Dark Humor
Using the Role of Tad MacNamara, tabloid journalist and photographer, Tydhg attunes to famous and political personalities into compromising situations and then reports on it. If no situations present themselves, the Stalker has no qualms about reporting on a "story" that he himself creates; setting the victim up. In many ways, he's a darker version of Danny DeVito's character in L.A. Confidential.

Tydhg had been working in Chicago, until he created and reported the wrong story. Unbeknownst to him, the subject of his attunement was not just a wealthy real estate magnate, but also an Impudite Gamester. While Kobal was amused when the tabloids reported the Taker with three prostitutes in a tub of bathtub gin, Asmodeus was not. Tad exited, stage left. Now he's in The City--because there's always a scandal people need to laugh about somewhere.

Tags
backwards, net play