Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-28-2020, 11:13 PM   #11
warellis

Default Re: GMing an FGO-Inspired Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengmd View Post
Had a family emergency and couldn't continue the game, but it turns out half the group couldn't make it anyhow. Funny how those things work, right?

I did make some headway on what I will do though. I think continuing the game as it is, with the 700CP characters is doable, because they're still servants with little utility outside of combat situations.

What I was thinking is that instead of making it some ominous force that's trying to destroy humanity, what if it's some-one, trying to seek revenge for the loss of someone they cared about? Their power, for some reason, is only limited, at the moment, to only the Crimean peninsula.

The party will need to figure out all this, and also, what if someone in the party was, at some point, and in some way, responsible for the loss of this person this enemy is seeking revenge for?

Thanks again for any input! :)
Not entirely. Think about what a Servant is. They're heroes of myth and legend and history, very famous and thus often have immense talent. These aren't just great warriors good at killing, they have brains and smarts and may be able to look at situations with an eye that their Master, or however you play them here, may not be as good at due to frankly, being less experienced and capable.

Also, since this is FGO-inspired, it means the characters are at least up to date on modern mores and values (since the magical means of summoning them in the first place updates their knowledge) so they may be able to blend in or have knowledge of the local mores and customs given to them by the home base. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll act "modern."
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:17 PM   #12
fengmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
Not entirely. Think about what a Servant is. They're heroes of myth and legend and history, very famous and thus often have immense talent. These aren't just great warriors good at killing, they have brains and smarts and may be able to look at situations with an eye that their Master, or however you play them here, may not be as good at due to frankly, being less experienced and capable.

Also, since this is FGO-inspired, it means the characters are at least up to date on modern mores and values (since the magical means of summoning them in the first place updates their knowledge) so they may be able to blend in or have knowledge of the local mores and customs given to them by the home base. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll act "modern."
Thanks for the ideas, because I get that Servants aren't just combat dolls. I was speaking more about what the majority of my group's servants are: combat dolls. I don't mind making Achilles rolling defaults on everything non-combat-oriented, but why would he want to know about X phase of the moon in 1854?

TBH, I think I'm going to drop an Alter enemy that will end up helping the party.

Still trying to decide on if the person who's been wronged was Ada Lovelace or Mary Shelley, though.
fengmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:27 AM   #13
fengmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Hmmm... thoughts....

Civilization in the Crimea is really old... it had Greek colonies on it when Rome was just one Italian City on it among many. You could feature ancient ruins from back then, or maybe a sunken ship: it was a big shipping hub. You can pull from ancient Mediterranean culture, or from old Slavic lore, or both.

As for what's making the "Hole in reality", or however you want to spin it, I have a few different ideas you could use.

• An building, structure, or other device for keeping evil sealed in a can was inadvertently destroyed as a result of the war, and now the evil is trying to get out.
  • Some individual with supernatural talent and skin in winning the war is performing a ritual or rituals to cause chaos in an attempt to win the war. They may be a member of the warring parties, a civilian caught in the crossfire, or a time-traveling meddler who want the war to go a certain way for some reason.
  • Someone is hunting supernatural secrets on the Crimea, and is using the war as cover to steal, break down, and have the occasional mishap go unnoticed (or at least less noticed). They may also be pushing things along intentionally...
I've got this weird image of ghost ships raised up from the sea bed as fun element you could add into the game.

I don't think the intent is to turn it into a detective game: its to wrap a narrative around the action. Combat is cool, but its more cool when it matters.

That depends on your players. You've got 2,000 year old characters there. Some players might want you to ask permission before inserting characters into their backstory. Others will enjoy it. Still others may want some control, but would enjoy short flashbacks or questions about the relationship with the introduced character.
Thanks you for your feedback! I think I'll go with the vengeance angle, with someone like Ada Lovelace or Mary Shelley dieing and their creation seeking retribution for the loss of their creator...
fengmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, game mastering, gurps 4e, help me out here