Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 03-31-2021, 07:54 AM   #1
MAKIMAKI

Default Greetings from China in the 21st century

To Steve Jackson Games:
Please allow me to introduce myself, I am a TRPG player in China who have hosted GURPS games for 10 years.The majority in our players' community play TRPG on the Internet by purchasing digital version of GURPS and sharing its Chinese translation.(And they think the Chinese-version of GURPS Lite is full of typo and misspelling or something alike.)
We hope that you can pay some attention to tabletop games industry and their localization in China, Many agents and game developers have successfully crowdfunded and promoted Chinese versions of their rulebooks.
As a GURPS fan, I hope that related projects will be added to your agenda. I will be waiting for your reply. (Another member of our community tried to contact you via email but didn't get any reply.)
Wish you success in holding the 2021 FnordCon.
MAKIMAKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:36 PM   #2
capnq

Default Re: Greetings from China in the 21st century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyan View Post
Aieeeee...
I find this response decidedly odd. What prompted it?

I think it's good that GURPS has a world-wide following. Welcome to our new Chinese friends.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. -- Mark Twain
capnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:13 PM   #3
SolemnGolem

I'm impressed they can access the SJGames forum.

It's not blocked by the Great Firewall or anything, but I would routinely get blocked from the forum side while I was in China.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:15 PM   #4
MAKIMAKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnq View Post
I find this response decidedly odd. What prompted it?

I think it's good that GURPS has a world-wide following. Welcome to our new Chinese friends.
Nice to meet you, capnq. Today's April Fool's Day is going on in Asia, and we are trying to promote this game and integrate it into the existing global player community. I will be in the United States in the morning and evening (off hour) to consider how to reply to you. (using translation software)

Last edited by MAKIMAKI; 03-31-2021 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:18 PM   #5
MAKIMAKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolemnGolem View Post
I'm impressed they can access the SJGames forum.

It's not blocked by the Great Firewall or anything, but I would routinely get blocked from the forum side while I was in China.
In fact, SJG forum is not blocked, and most of us can access it directly when the technology or service provider meets the conditions.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:46 PM   #6
Buzzardo

Welcome. It's neat to hear that there's a GURPS community in China. Does your group play in fantasy settings or do you play in other settings? Space? Cthulhu? My group has campaigns in all three of those settings, so I wonder whether your group has similar variety.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:13 PM   #7
MAKIMAKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
Welcome. It's neat to hear that there's a GURPS community in China. Does your group play in fantasy settings or do you play in other settings? Space? Cthulhu? My group has campaigns in all three of those settings, so I wonder whether your group has similar variety.
Our community is not specifically limited to a certain theme, everyone tries their favorite content. A lot of people are interested in SF, animation, Wuxia (not based on GURPS China). I am personally studying the rules book that was sold in Japan around 2000.

We use our own fantasy scripts. DND's player community is much larger than ours, which is 100 times of ours.

We love the space opera background.

It can be said that most TRPG writers in China are writing COC scripts. (but it's not well written)
Old 03-31-2021, 10:14 PM   #8
Saltyfish King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
The genres we play really various. Some love Wuxia, some love space opera, some love super hero, some like maho shojo or that kind of anime things. Recently I had a game mixing action with biotech and psi, in which I play as an esp infiltrator.
Saltyfish King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:39 PM   #9
SolemnGolem

I've heard that science fiction has a continued strong following in China, most recently due to Liu Cixin's Three Body Problem 三体 novels.

GURPS has a relatively "hard" sci-fi setting, Transhuman Space, which is set in 2100 and incidentally features China as Earth's most powerful nation.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:47 PM   #10
76 Biomecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyfish King View Post
The genres we play really various. Some love Wuxia, some love space opera, some love super hero, some like maho shojo or that kind of anime things. Recently I had a game mixing action with biotech and psi, in which I play as an esp infiltrator.
I am his GM, and this campaign is called the Rubik's Cube of Life, a TL8 world with TL11^ biotechnology. Use the Action's template for 250 points and an additional 50 free character points. The content of the story is that in 1985, a company called Tree of Life was born, leading to the divergence of human science and technology. In 2053, at the present time of the story, a number of biotechnology companies have pushed human biotechnology to an unprecedented peak, but the tree of life has been standing at the peak. As an agent of another biotech company, Ingram, PC is sent to the Tree of Life's home base, San Francisco, in search of the Tree of Life's ultimate secret, "Rubik's Cube of Life".
76 Biomecha is offline   Reply With Quote