Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 09-05-2021, 07:17 AM   #1
pmpappas

Default What do you think about SJG releasing Munchkin accessories without a special rule?

Several accessories have been released without a special rule, to my and other Munchkin's dismay. In last week's SJGames Live, Hunter confirmed SJG is moving away from creating special rules for accessories. But why do that? It's practically canon Munchkin accessories have special rules (or cards). Even now, the first question usually asked about a new accessory is; "Does it have a special rule?"

Do you think I bought all those Cthulhu plush accessories just because they feel soft and soothing against my skin? NO! IT WAS TO USE THE SPECIAL RULE TO CRUSH MY ENEMIES, SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE ME, AND..., uh, well you get the point. Mental note: I might want to stop playing Munchkin Conan for a while.

Perhaps if enough of us ask nicely for the return of the special rule, the Secret Masters will hear our pleas and reconsider. So I'll start by saying the special rule is so quintessentially Munchkin, so embedded in its DNA, that losing it would literally change the flavor of the game. But don't take my word for it, read the description of the Cthulhu plush accessories which states; "Of course, this toy includes a special rule..."

If the Secret Masters don't want to create special rules, please consider holding a contest to create them. This was done at least once before for the Munchkin Silver Piece. The Munchkin that submits the best special rule, as decided by the Secret Masters, would have serious bragging rights and we would all benefit.

Are you a fan of the special rule? If so please reply to this post with your support and maybe we can save it.

"Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater." - Andrew Hackard
pmpappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:26 AM   #2
Fufu

Default Re: What do you think about SJG releasing Munchkin accessories without a special rule

A lot of kickstarters, Munchkin Apocalypse Kaiju, Car Wars weather dice, etc. have been a missed opportunities for newer Munchkin mechanics or including expected cards/rules with newer sets. The Secret Masters for Munchkin was really a single Secret Master for Munchkin, and that Secret Master is gone from this world forever. SJGames will need to open themselves up to more creatives.
Fufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:12 PM   #3
pmpappas

Default Re: What do you think about SJG releasing Munchkin accessories without a special rule

While I appreciate the reply, it may be both a bit harsh and off topic. Pretty sure I requested we "ask nicely". That is not a personal attack, just a reminder.

But if we are going to go off topic...

There are a lot of talented people at SJG in all aspects of the company and it is not polite or productive to berate them in wake of substantial personal and professional loss. I never met Andrew Hackard, but his work provided me with so much enjoyment that his passing really cratered my mood, so much so I actually walked away from Munchkin for a while. In fact it occurs to me I never offered my condolences to those personally affected by his passing, so please allow me to do so now and apologize for not doing so sooner.

Now back to the topic...

The spark of the special rule is still glowing at SJG. On Labor Day they released another in a series of holiday special #MunchknRule via social media. I hoped there would be enough response here to fan that spark back into a flame, but even with a fair number of post views there has not been so much as a "+1" reply. I fear the days of the Munchkin accessory special rule may be behind us, but if the players do not speak up we can not blame the Secret Masters if they abandon it.

Last chance Munchkins. Speak now or forever lose the Munchkin accessory special rule!

"Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater." - Andrew Hackard
pmpappas is offline   Reply With Quote