Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
magnustokai

Default Critique/verify my custom Character sheet.

I made this sheet so people can adjust their attributes without having to reference the book or the lite rules too much. I wrote down point costs for each attribute and the formulas to get the derivative stats. I included some references to advanced rules like Hit locations, Bleeding, Dehydration and Starvation. I did not include some things like status, appearance, languages, TL since it will not be that relevant to my campaign. I also made it so it fits on one page.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/106872960/...haracter-Sheet

Any suggestions to improve the character sheet. Did I get any of the formulas wrong.
magnustokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: Critique/verify my custom Character sheet.

Looks pretty good. I like how you laid out the attributes, with point costs and a little "flow chart" to show how the sub-attributes are derived. A few small, pedantic notes:
• You have Dodge listed as Basic Move +3, when it is actually Basic Speed rounded down +3. This is important because Move can be improved for +5 per level, whereas Speed costs +5 per quarter level.
• You have Parry listed as [Weapon Skill / 2] +3. More accurately, this should be Melee Skill, since unarmed skills also provide Parry. Ideally you'd have room for both Weapon and Unarmed Parries, though.
• In the Status box, you have a check box for "1/3 HP or FP (Half Move and Dodge)". It needs at least second check box, since a character at 1/3 HP and 1/3 FP drops to 1/4 Move and Dodge. Additionally, 1/3 FP reduces ST to 1/2 for the purpose of ST checks (not HP or damage rolls). Best to put two separate lines, one for low HP, one for low FP.

Last edited by vierasmarius; 09-24-2012 at 09:26 PM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
magnustokai

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Looks pretty good. I like how you laid out the attributes, with point costs and a little "flow chart" to show how the sub-attributes are derived. A few small, pedantic notes:
• You have Dodge listed as Basic Move +3, when it is actually Basic Speed rounded down +3. This is important because Move can be improved for +5 per level, whereas Speed costs +5 per quarter level.
• You have Parry listed as [Weapon Skill / 2] +3. More accurately, this should be Melee Skill, since unarmed skills also provide Parry. Ideally you'd have room for both Weapon and Unarmed Parries, though.
• In the Status box, you have a check box for "1/3 HP or FP (Half Move and Dodge)". It needs at least second check box, since a character at 1/3 HP and 1/3 FP drops to 1/4 Move and Dodge. Additionally, 1/3 FP reduces ST to 1/2 for the purpose of ST checks (not HP or damage rolls). Best to put two separate lines, one for low HP, one for low FP.
Made the changes. The dodge formula could have lead to confusion. Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
Dustin

That's very nice work there. For hit locations, I don't see places to list DR for Torso, Hands, or Feet. (I'd actually prefer if DR and the amount of injury needed to cripple the location were listed next to the body part.)

For melee weapons, I see two Reach columns - maybe one is supposed to be for minST instead?

Working in a place to list Shield DB seems handy, but if your campaign largely lacks shields, that's understandable.

Getting *insanely* nitpicky, I prefer to see thrust damage listed before swing damage, but if you like it that way for any reason, that's cool too.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
magnustokai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
That's very nice work there. For hit locations, I don't see places to list DR for Torso, Hands, or Feet. (I'd actually prefer if DR and the amount of injury needed to cripple the location were listed next to the body part.)

For melee weapons, I see two Reach columns - maybe one is supposed to be for minST instead?

Working in a place to list Shield DB seems handy, but if your campaign largely lacks shields, that's understandable.

Getting *insanely* nitpicky, I prefer to see thrust damage listed before swing damage, but if you like it that way for any reason, that's cool too.
Nice catch on the weapon stats and hit locations. I added the Hit location info.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:12 AM   #6
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnustokai View Post
I did not include some things like status, appearance, languages, TL since it will not be that relevant to my campaign.
And this is not at all a mandatory. They are advantages or disadvantages.

Very nice and handful character sheet!
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
Sutibu

This looks awesome... Just what ive been looking for! Can I get it from you in PDF form somehow?
Sutibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
gruundehn

Looks interesting but when I tried to download it to examine it better I ran into the mandantory Facebook registration and I quit. Facebook is too many problems and I will not join. Provide another way to download it and I will examine it and perhaps even use it if my examination shows the original promise is fulfilled.
Yes, I meant IS too many problems not has too many problems.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:59 AM   #9
Sutibu

Ah, I managed to download it on another computer! (oddly enough)

It's a great sheet, I've looked around alot and havent found a single-page sheet thats as compact and well-thought out as this one. I have minor points of critique

* Some of the dark area's are lighter than others. Not really sure why this is?

* The sheet assumes a humanoid with the graphic on the right. You might consider making one without a figure, for tentacled creatures, aliens, robots and whatnot :)

* Although very easthetically pleasing, I think the spacing of the boxing could use space a little better. This would allow maybe 5 more lines on there!
For example, the box on the top has a thick black bar, but has no text in it. I understand that there is an optimum betwean readability and density, but i just think you could squeeze a little more :D
Sutibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:57 AM   #10
TheHengeProphet

I very much like the character sheet and can't find anything wrong with it at a cursory glance.

I am, however, unable to download it, due to the same facebook restriction. This is very much something I would like to use, and hope you might find a better place to host it!
TheHengeProphet is offline   Reply With Quote