Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2021, 08:56 AM   #81
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
That's a good question... What do I need to be sure? If I'm reading the situation clearly, she's suspicious in that she's not suspicious, which doesn't seem to be the strongest evidence. I suppose she could be taken away for interrogation and her possessions searched but that seems a little brash.

Throwing in a roll for some guidance:
Its a little more than not being suspicious: she has views that exactly match the official line, seems very familiar with this type of work already, and has a tendency to answer questions about her background a little too completely.

How to be sure? I suppose the most common ways to be sure would be to verbally trip her up, to find contraband in her belongings, or to set a trap (perhaps a honeypot trap?) and catch her red handed.

Or perhaps to tell them she might be suspicious and call it a job well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
"I have come to offer my aid in the interest of friendship and a desire to see our neighbors in the empire regain their stability and harmony. I ask for no payment. I am aware of your Emperor's habits, but I understand a visit to his temple may rouse his essence from its slumber.

The form of any aid that may follow is something that will bear some discussion once I have a more nuanced understanding of the plight of the empire."
Senatrus purses his lips. "I understand your request. I will convey it to men more experienced in such matters than me. I am not he who you must speak to. It may take some time to get back to you. Chamberlain Gadialtus will see to your needs. Will you be waiting here, or returning to the Worlds beyond the Worlds? We can provide you with a bed, food, and even an assistant or two."
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:33 AM   #82
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Its a little more than not being suspicious: she has views that exactly match the official line, seems very familiar with this type of work already, and has a tendency to answer questions about her background a little too completely.

How to be sure? I suppose the most common ways to be sure would be to verbally trip her up, to find contraband in her belongings, or to set a trap (perhaps a honeypot trap?) and catch her red handed.

Or perhaps to tell them she might be suspicious and call it a job well done.
I'll let the Colonel know that I'm going to try to set a trap for the possible spy. I'll use Intelligence Analysis to determine what kind of trap to set up (i.e. whether it's more likely to be information gathering and passing it on or trying to directly sabotage operations), Memetics! to tailor the trap for her, and hm... Administration to actually create a false document that is the trap?

Quote:
[26] 21-07-23 17:20:10 BST
Intelligence Analysis
3d6 <= 14
6 + 4 + 1 = 11 ... success
[27] 21-07-23 17:20:33 BST
Memetics!
3d6 <= 15
5 + 2 + 3 = 10 ... success
[28] 21-07-23 17:20:53 BST
Administration
3d6 <= 15
2 + 3 + 5 = 10 ... success
Next, I'll keep an eye on the possible spy in case she does something suspicious:
Quote:
[29] 21-07-23 17:32:54 BST
Observation
3d6 <= 16
4 + 4 + 3 = 11 ... success
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:01 PM   #83
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Senatrus purses his lips. "I understand your request. I will convey it to men more experienced in such matters than me. I am not he who you must speak to. It may take some time to get back to you. Chamberlain Gadialtus will see to your needs. Will you be waiting here, or returning to the Worlds beyond the Worlds? We can provide you with a bed, food, and even an assistant or two."
"Your hospitality is accepted with my gratitude. Might I have a tour of the temple while I await an audience?"
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 12:04 PM   #84
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I'll let the Colonel know that I'm going to try to set a trap for the possible spy. I'll use Intelligence Analysis to determine what kind of trap to set up (i.e. whether it's more likely to be information gathering and passing it on or trying to directly sabotage operations), Memetics! to tailor the trap for her, and hm... Administration to actually create a false document that is the trap?
At this level, espionage is much more likely than sabotage. Halcyone is able to make a document implying some false information about troop movements that made its way into this pile: specifically, it gives away where the main rebel air force will be at a given moment


Quote:
Next, I'll keep an eye on the possible spy in case she does something suspicious:
Halcyone is able to spot the instant the potential spy comes across the document, as the woman starts, reads the page more carefully, and looks around. She's certainly noted its potential information. She sets the page aside ... possibly for further processing, possibly to transfer information from.



Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
"Your hospitality is accepted with my gratitude. Might I have a tour of the temple while I await an audience?"

Senatrus: "A Full Tour? That may be awkward. There are portions of the temple not even I have visited. We can arrange a partial tour though, one that will keep you out of the most sacred areas while still keeping you out of the site of the common visitors.. unless you can turn of your glorious radiance..."
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:51 PM   #85
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Senatrus: "A Full Tour? That may be awkward. There are portions of the temple not even I have visited. We can arrange a partial tour though, one that will keep you out of the most sacred areas while still keeping you out of the site of the common visitors.. unless you can turn of your glorious radiance..."
Vassarious sheaths her sword to see if that puts out the light and if not, attempts to banish it by force of will. Assuming it the light dims...

"That's not a problem, though I would enjoy the opportunity to bask in the spiritual energies of the more sacred areas if that might be permitted."

As they talk, Vassarious watches for signs of evasions or falsehoods and tries to get a feel for his hosts.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:25 PM   #86
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
At this level, espionage is much more likely than sabotage. Halcyone is able to make a document implying some false information about troop movements that made its way into this pile: specifically, it gives away where the main rebel air force will be at a given moment



Halcyone is able to spot the instant the potential spy comes across the document, as the woman starts, reads the page more carefully, and looks around. She's certainly noted its potential information. She sets the page aside ... possibly for further processing, possibly to transfer information from.
Or maybe she read all the information and memorized it... Well unless I can get any further information from passive observation I think this is the point where I can turn it in. Halcyone isn't built for shadowing, and if there's any physical evidence it's probably better to be caught at the source.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:08 AM   #87
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Vassarious sheaths her sword to see if that puts out the light and if not, attempts to banish it by force of will.
The glowing stops on either cue.


Quote:
"That's not a problem, though I would enjoy the opportunity to bask in the spiritual energies of the more sacred areas if that might be permitted."
Senatrus: "I am not sure if our... um... pantheons are compatible. I will pass on your request to the priests. They will know much more of that than I. Perhaps we can find a suitably sacred location. Also, could you conceal your wings for the public tour?"


Quote:
As they talk, Vassarious watches for signs of evasions or falsehoods and tries to get a feel for his hosts.
The man was caught very off-guard. He is a bit defensive about the whole situation. And really doesn't want to commit to you meeting with the emperor. Or even getting close. And he's nervous about making a mistake, either overstepping his bounds with you, or telling you more than he should, or something.



Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Or maybe she read all the information and memorized it... Well unless I can get any further information from passive observation I think this is the point where I can turn it in. Halcyone isn't built for shadowing, and if there's any physical evidence it's probably better to be caught at the source.

Wait, the cyberpunk face-changing social manipulator doesn't have shadowing? she doesn't. has observation and stealth though, which indicates her style.



The colonel gets the report of what Halycone has done. "Huh, we'll see what comes of it. I think we'll leave you in this group for the moment. You might be useful hear. tonight we'll see how good you bodyguard"
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:26 PM   #88
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Wait, the cyberpunk face-changing social manipulator doesn't have shadowing? she doesn't. has observation and stealth though, which indicates her style.
Yeah, I was surprised too. If Chameleon worked with shadowing then I'd be a bit more willing to attempt the default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The colonel gets the report of what Halycone has done. "Huh, we'll see what comes of it. I think we'll leave you in this group for the moment. You might be useful hear."
"That's good; I'll look into the four possible sympathizers then."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"tonight we'll see how good you bodyguard"
"Expecting any action tonight? Who needs guarding? You?"
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:09 PM   #89
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

"That's not a problem..." And Vassarious shifts the wings away.

((OOC: I'll add a detailed template when I get a chance to write it up...))

"Tell me more about your current situation. I understand there is significant unrest."
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:50 AM   #90
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
"That's good; I'll look into the four possible sympathizers then."

"Expecting any action tonight? Who needs guarding? You?"
Colonel: "Not on the job testing: I want to see how well you shoot, and how good your eye for trouble is."

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
"That's not a problem..." And Vassarious shifts the wings away.

((OOC: I'll add a detailed template when I get a chance to write it up...))
The angel template has a perk that lets it hide its wings, so if you want to stay as an Angel for now that's just fine.

The Commandant pauses for just a second, then says: "Then there is no objection to giving you the public tour, I suppose."

Quote:
"Tell me more about your current situation. I understand there is significant unrest."
"There is indeed significant unrest... but I'm sorry I cannot divulge more without a decision from the Imperial Governor. Enjoy your tour, and I hope we can arrive at a decision quickly"

He turns to leave without waiting for a response.

Gadialtus the chamberlain steps up almost immediately: so would you like the tour first, or some food? There is a dish that is said to be the Emperor's favorite, we often serve it to important guests, a seethed mixuture of 5 herbs and 5 tubers. Or we can start you on the tour, would you like to walk, take a vehicle, or ride a beast? Or if you want to rest for a moment, I can get you a bed or couch in the chamber of the otherworld...."

The man continues to make offers of small niceties, all of which are simple material comforts that keep V inside of the temple complex, and away from important parts of it.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.