Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 12-28-2020, 10:04 AM   #361
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
OOC:
Having heard his tale, Pacifica recalls whether or not she's read about the Black Kraken:
Literature for Pacifica:
3d6 <= 13
1 + 5 + 3 = 9 ... success
The Black Kraken appears to be an extremely local tale. It has all the appearances of a tall folk tale though, with about the same status as the modern bigfoot or loch ness monster. its famous on its own planet, but has almost no presence off of it. Pacifica has only heard the name once or twice, and that was just lumping it with a bunch of sea monster folklore, which the source claimed "were all pretty similar"

Quote:
As Nejora is cursing, Pacifica pokes her with her elbow and says:

IC:
Nejora, is that a metaphor? Fairies can be dreadful too. Some of crawl over your body silently, at the darkest hours, to steal your teeth.

OOC:

Acting for Pacifica:
3d6 <= 15
4 + 3 + 3 = 10 ... success

As Pacifica says this, she rides her own arm with her two fingers mimicking walking motion... until her fingers/hand "jumps" to her own jaw ending with a pulling something from my mouth motion.

She speaks in a scary/lugubrious voice.
Everyone at the table laughs except Nejora, who gives Pacifica a look like she wants to hit her in the face. "You're an <explicative> <explicative>"

(as I said, are you trying to annoy her?)

Quote:
IC: (to Nejora) Do you have creatures like these at your homeland? Also, what other creatures like this one exist at your homeland, Jipo?
"Well, you have your normal white and red kraken. Plus " He lists off a bunch of names you don't understand, as he explains what they are, it seems they're mostly oversized fish. You know, if a whale can be considered an oversized fish: same shape, similar movement, different details. Each was something that makes it unique. About half of them are armored. A number of them have enormous tusks. Others have solid sharp plates instead of teeth. Then he starts talking about the squid derivatives.

Quote:
Yes, I would like to request access to all of the shifts (plans, schedules, names) in the ship, to deliver an improved "master shift". I am doing this couple of days after I'm told the officers are pleased with my "circular economy" plan, I tell the officer I have also noticed the requests from other officers to improve the shifts, and that he can assess the quality of my job from my work on Zibo's hydrogen calculation requests, and from the help I provide to my colleagues.

I am including the management roll for the "master shift" task.

Administration for Pacifica (luck 2 of 2):
3d6 <= 14
1 + 2 + 1 = 4 ... success
Pacifica receives a letter from Zibo, letting her know that

"Your enthusiasm, while commendable, is misplaced. This is a suitable task for a crew member with more experience and a higher security clearance. We admire your ambition, and will happily sponsor your elevation to a higher security clearance next time the ship is in port. If you wish to increase your chances of receiving a commission during this conflict, we recommend volunteering on the extra hands list, performing your duty with excellence, and maintaining strict discipline. We also recommend watching and learning from your immediate superior."

So they'll happy give her access to that information after the ship has docked in port again and they can do the extra secure background check.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 11:21 AM   #362
TGLS

Quote:
IC:
• Nice to meet you, I'm (protocolary name you should provide among Dread Stormers), fully operational combat ESPER: I can fight blasters bare-handed; armor is virtually nothing against my melee attacks.
• I am a clerk in deck 9 (Navigation, Comms, and Sensors), this is my name *pointing at her uniform tag*, I rest in deck 18.
• Currently, I'm collecting passwords in my section and profiling the people so we can take over the ship more easily.
• I like gambling, literature and singing.
• I am pleased to work with you, FOR THE GLORY OF THE REPUBLIC.

Once she listens to her teammates, she suggests a plan.
Hua half reflexively repeats, "FOR THE GLORY OF THE REPUBLIC", then shakes her head a little to get back to her cover. Hua is a little more relaxed and shakes hands with Pacifica.

"Hi, I'm Hua. I'm quartered on deck 2, and in Transportation I'm on the move most of the day. I get to see a lot of the ship. Right now I'm planning to break into an armoury. I can see about getting you a gun too."

[But this is the past, so I'm planning on destroying the flour? 🤔]

--

Hua absentmindedly looks around the cell.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:37 PM   #363
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Pothi is white as a sheet. "Really, nothing? A guy gets shot running for it and they don't find anyone in here? Something isn't adding up. Maybe there is a dreadstormer in this mess. He looks nervously around the room. "But who?" he whispers. "I know its not me, and I know its not you. Anyone else you're pretty sure its not?"
Replying to Pothi, Day says, "The only ones I'm sure of are you and me. I like these other guys, but who knows?" While the officer and security are filing out, Day asks the NCO, "Excuse me, sir, may we go now?" If there's an opportunity to make skin contact with the officer or any security while they are leaving, Day will try Mental Surgery.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:19 PM   #364
Hide

Quote:
(as I said, are you trying to annoy her?)
OOC:

No, Pacifica is not trying to annoy Nejora. She's her buddy, and at least as much as the mission allows it, Pacifica will be there to support her; should I roll something to work with this matter?

Quote:
Pacifica receives a letter from Zibo, letting her know that (…) they'll happy give her access to that information (...)
OOC: Did other notice that I helped with the shift planning requests?

IC (thinking):

I think the letter is something good, but maybe it also is a warning of sorts. I was working with the requests I received, after all.

Is it appropriate showing the letter to Nejora? I would like to join the "extra hands", if that's useful for the mission; Nejora's presence is probably going to be required if I do.

My impression is that if they need "extra hands" at something, then there's the weak spot to work with. Do I have any other information, besides the "accident with the flour"?

IF I have permission to talk in regard of the letter, I will only say: Thank you sir, at your command!
Old 12-30-2020, 09:49 AM   #365
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
OOC:

No, Pacifica is not trying to annoy Nejora. She's her buddy, and at least as much as the mission allows it, Pacifica will be there to support her; should I roll something to work with this matter?
If I hadn't made this clear: Nejora is a prickly soul who gets annoyed by excessive cheerfulness, light-hearted jokes, and personal slights, even in jest. She wants to be treated dourly and seriously. Humor should be dark and directed at people who aren't present. Yes, its a rather immature attitude.

Pacifica is being presented as exceptionally cheerful and lighthearted, and its a good portrayal... but by coincidence its almost exactly the most obnoxious personality Nejora can think of. Which makes me laugh.

So I suppose we have a role-playing decision to make here: will pacifica tone down her cheerful and playful nature to accommodate her buddy among the enemy? Or will she persevere in her cheer despite the constant glowering?

Quote:
OOC: Did other notice that I helped with the shift planning requests?
Yes. That's not a complete sentence, but I'm pretty sure the answer is yes.

Quote:
Is it appropriate showing the letter to Nejora? I would like to join the "extra hands", if that's useful for the mission; Nejora's presence is probably going to be required if I do.

My impression is that if they need "extra hands" at something, then there's the weak spot to work with. Do I have any other information, besides the "accident with the flour"?
Extra hands is similar to community service: its a number of spacers who can be put on various duties as needed. It always exists. It has something of a tumultuous existence, being both suggested as a way to go the extra mile and gain attention for promotion and a common disciplinary tool. It always exists, regaurdless of how much work actually needs to be done.

Its perhaps the blandest advice on becoming an officer there is, and it may or may not even work, depending on how corrupt your immediate superiors are. Or even how much they consider perusing the blandest way to get a promotion to be.

Nejora will not want to do extra work, and vehemently object to joining her. Fortunately, its one place that buddies get officially rearranged, so that won't be an obstacle.

Quote:
IF I have permission to talk in regard of the letter, I will only say: Thank you sir, at your command!

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 12-30-2020, 10:37 AM   #366
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
[But this is the past, so I'm planning on destroying the flour? 🤔]
There were two separate meetings where both statements would have been said and be true. So Yes!

Quote:
Hua absentmindedly looks around the cell.
Its quite bare, other than the plastic bucket masquerading as a toilet. There are a few vents in the wall for temperature control and flooding the chamber with various gasses, same as every hydrogen brick chamber.

After a few hours, Some more security visits Hua. They have brought her a full set of bedding, dry rations (think blandish granola bars), a chair to sit on, and her data pad (which is mostly just useful for reading material she's already looked up).

They say that Botha is looking more and more guilty, and they are working on clearing her name and figuring out a new buddy for her. In the mean time, she has to stay here overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Replying to Pothi, Day says, "The only ones I'm sure of are you and me. I like these other guys, but who knows?" While the officer and security are filing out, Day asks the NCO, "Excuse me, sir, may we go now?" If there's an opportunity to make skin contact with the officer or any security while they are leaving, Day will try Mental Surgery.
Their visitors were gone before pothi made his comment. If Daymar brings up leaving before security and the officer have gone, the NCO will interrupt him with a barked command: "Attention!"

Once the visitors are gone, The NCO gives orders not to talk about the incident with those outside of the mess for 24 hours, then releases them to finish their breakfast.

Old 01-01-2021, 02:38 PM   #367
Hide

Quote:
If I hadn't made this clear: Nejora is a prickly soul (...)
OOC:

I see, I see. I thought she just was foul mouthed. If Pacifica understands what you described, then she will give Nejora "more room", little by little.

Quote:
Extra hands is similar to community service (...)
OOC:

Alright, Pacifica will join them!

When there is free time, Pacifica will tell Nejora about the letter and read it for her. Pacifica will ask Nejora if she would like to go with her.

IC:

"See? We might rise among the ranks if we are up to things like these. We both know how capable we are, why remain stuck here (in this position)? Let's make a name in this ship, and then in the whole empire".

Pacifica's fast-talk:

3d6 <= 13
2 + 3 + 1 = 6 ... success

OOC:

Prior to delivering her request and talking to Nejora, Pacifica will check the shifts and to find activities that either do not interfere/compromise with her team meetings or that provide better chances to assist to the meetings with less risks. (Hopefully exposition sense will help here).
Old 01-01-2021, 03:41 PM   #368
TGLS

Quote:
After a few hours, Some more security visits Hua. They have brought her a full set of bedding, dry rations (think blandish granola bars), a chair to sit on, and her data pad (which is mostly just useful for reading material she's already looked up).

They say that Botha is looking more and more guilty, and they are working on clearing her name and figuring out a new buddy for her. In the mean time, she has to stay here overnight.
Well, guess I can at least take some time and rest.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:48 AM   #369
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well, guess I can at least take some time and rest.

After a full night and one of the most uneventful mornings she's had in a while, Hua is told she is free to return to duty... but that duty has changed. She's been assigned to a different buddy, in a different mess and a different shift (though still the same section and floor).

Her new buddy is Vithibi "Thibi" Chitunu. Thibi is from Jeetu (same world as Nejora, with the rebels). She's a rather good looking girl with a white streak on the left side of her hair. She's new to the shift as well, her former buddy having gotten sick and is currently on medical leave. Their mess mates have a lot of questions about why they were transferred, and the ship is abuzz with rumors this morning.

The meeting time for Hua is now during her work shift, in the morning.

Last edited by ericthered; 01-04-2021 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-02-2021, 02:59 PM   #370
TGLS

Quote:
The meeting time for Hua is now during her work shift, in the morning.
OK, first order of business next meeting time, find a new meeting time. The current one doesn't work for anybody.

Quote:
After a full night and one of the most uneventful mornings she's had in a while, Hua is told she is free to return to duty... but that duty has changed.
No info about the third cell?

Quote:
Their mess mates have a lot of questions about why they were transferred, and the ship is abuzz with rumors this morning.
I stick to my story; "My former buddy was a crazy drug addict who hated me for no reason, and tried to frame me by hiding a pill on me. She ended up getting caught in the process."

Quote:
She's new to the shift as well, her former buddy having gotten sick and is currently on medical leave.
Hua pretends to be concerned about Thibi's former buddy: "Oh? What happened? Is she [the former buddy] infectious?"