Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-04-2024, 05:23 PM   #1
Rubble

Default Books with Critters

Hey all. Just returning after leaving GURPS for a long time. I find that all my many 1st ed books are completely out of date.

Later this year I plan to start a new game on Roll20 using GURPS. Since they only have 4th ed character sheets, I'm upgrading.

I have the 2-book basic set and the magic book.

I'm having trouble finding PDFs to buy which focus on critters. My game's planned to run a very long time (as most of mine are), and therefore need critters from something that 50 point PC can step on, so things that will make a 300+ point character bring friends.

There's stuff like the Bestiary and Fantasy Bestiary, but they don't seem to be 4th ed.

What I'm looking for here are suggestions of books I can buy PDFs of off the site or on-demand a physical off Amazon, which have critters.

For those who want to help, please share info in this format:

Edition, book, # of critters.
For example: 3d ed, Bestiary, lots.

Actually, if 3rd ed books are usuable with 4th ed, that pretty much solves my problem as I see lots of 3rd ed books in the list which didn't show earlier.

DO 3rd ed ones work in 4th?

Anyway, thanks for your time folks, I really appreciate any suggestions you can make.
Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 05:30 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Books with Critters

This page on my blog lists and links to most foe type books. In particular from what I think you want I recommend the Nordland Bestiary and some related material.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 05:41 PM   #3
Rubble

Awesome, thanks!
Old 03-04-2024, 05:45 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubble View Post
Awesome, thanks!
My pleasure!
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 07:18 PM   #5
rkbrown419

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy has 5 Monsters books so far. The Creatures of the Night series is also an option although I think those trend more towards horror than direct confrontation.
rkbrown419 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 07:20 PM   #6
Rubble

Thanks.

I think that's in the stuff listed above, but if not I'll certainly look for it.

You guys are awesome.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:13 AM   #7
Anders

Seconding the Nordlond Bestiary. All the names are in pseudo-Old Norse, but the book has a table with standard names as well. I think most of the monsters in the book are named there, but I'm not certain.
Old 03-15-2024, 10:11 PM   #8
namada

Since nobody has noted this before, Dungeon Fantasy assumes 250 point PCs, not 50 point PCs, which is where you indicated you were starting, so I'd recommend going with GURPS Fantasy instead. It's much lower powered, and if you buy the Character Assistant with it, it's so easy to make, for example, Race/Character Templates, in any combination whatsoever. Goblin/Archer, Goblin/Knight, Goblin/Mage, etc. DF is much more powerful than 50 point characters could handle, on average.
Warning: I have several neurological disorders. If I post something that makes no sense, or seems offensive to you, please just let me know & I'll try to clarify what I was thinking at that moment, which did not come out in the post...

Thanks for understanding & helping.
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 07:48 PM   #9
Rubble

Yeah, I saw an expert for dungeon fantasy so I'm aware of the 250. My players will likely make it up there in a year or so.

Character Assistant is something I haven't seen before. What is it? A book? A program? A web site?

Don't focus on the 50 point start. I have plans in the works to make the first 10 points go buy faster than normal to get them to a "standard" fantasy start. (well, it was standard back in first ed). And I plan to run the game for 4-5 years. Even if they only make 3 points a session, that's roughly 150 points a year for 4-5 years. It'll be high powered when we wrap, unless something goes horribly wrong.
Old 03-16-2024, 08:39 PM   #10
rkbrown419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubble View Post
Character Assistant is something I haven't seen before. What is it? A book? A program? A web site?
GURPS Character Assistant GCA
Is the official GURPS character creation software. It's quite helpful with the math, especially at f you're making use of modified advantages or disadvantages.
rkbrown419 is online now   Reply With Quote