Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 08-23-2004, 12:16 PM   #1
Cyst13

Default IN: Are you Christian?

Friendly inquiry.

If you play In Nomine, are you a Christian in real life? If so, how do you relate your religious beliefs to the game?
Cyst13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 12:37 PM   #2
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.
Default Re: IN: Are you Christian?

When SJG announced In Nomine I thought it was very cool. The obsurd conflict between Christianity and gaming has done damage on both sides and I was happy to see something that looked like it had the potential to help bridge the gap. I had seen a Christian CCG back in the craze days, but I think it was one of the many to hit bottom right out of the gate.
I've thumbed through several In Nomine books, talked it up to many people at cons and played an introductory scenario once. As an RPG, it just didn't fit with me.
On the note of gaming and Christianity, I always thought it was cool that Vampire: The Masquerade validated Chrisitanity in its history since Kane was the 1st Vampire and such.

To answer the other half of your question, I am not Christian.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:40 PM   #3
Nights_Sorrow

Yup well to be exact Im Mormon. Used to be a Utahite.

Last edited by Nights_Sorrow; 08-23-2004 at 04:04 PM.
Nights_Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 03:23 PM   #4
Lucius Drake

Was once a Christian. Moved on for reasons I prefer not to disclose.

I think that In Nomine manages to walk the line of "offends everybody and/or nobody" in the religious sense.

On the one hand, IN canon says that no single religion is true, and that it's not necessary to follow any religious rules at all in order to go to Heaven. Heck, people sometimes have Destinies that do not even requre them to be good.

On the other hand, IN validates the concepts of the monotheistic relgions. There is a God. There are Angels. There is a Hell, there are Demons. Generally speaking, Heaven is good, Hell is bad (darkness levels not withstanding). In the default setting, God's agents are dedicated to helping humanity. To a lesser degree they are also responsible for the punishment of God's enemies. In this RPG though, God's enemies are not the next tribe over, or any non-Christian/Jewish/Muslim people. Regardless, Angels do fulfil their traditional roles, religiously speaking.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:38 PM   #5
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyst13
If you play In Nomine, are you a Christian in real life? If so, how do you relate your religious beliefs to the game?
No. And I try to keep my religious beliefs out of it. O:> (Though probably one or two concepts have snuck in, where they happened to fit the implications already around.)

We've played with a very nice Christian family, though. One of them coined a quote of "Finding ways to be annoying in the service of the Lord."

They're very secure in their faith, I guess. And cool people.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:45 PM   #6
EDG

The closest I can come to describing my beliefs is "Zen Deist": God takes shape in the structure, complexity, simplicity, and beauty of the universe. (For years, I was Zen Buddhist, until I discovered that Buddhism, and for that matter a lot of Zen, just didn't sit right with me.)

So, er, no. :)
EDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 03:56 PM   #7
jramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB.6361
On the note of gaming and Christianity, I always thought it was cool that Vampire: The Masquerade validated Chrisitanity in its history since Kane was the 1st Vampire and such.
Nah, I'm non-practising Jewish. (and why would Cain validate Christianity? If it was Jesus who created the first vampire, I could maybe see that.)

<Having said that, I do think the stuff I wrote was informed by my views of theology in general - I'm much more old testament than Maya, frex.>
jramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 03:59 PM   #8
EDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jramsay
(and why would Cain validate Christianity? If it was Jesus who created the first vampire, I could maybe see that.)
No, no; Jesus was a vampire hunter. :D
EDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 04:02 PM   #9
jramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDG
No, no; Jesus was a vampire hunter. :D
My head hurts. You have merited a blog entry :P
jramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 04:37 PM   #10
cappadocius

I'm not Christian, although (as with most midwesterners, I suspect) I was raised in a nominally Christian household.

I try to keep my religious beliefs entirely separate from my gaming, but agnosticism is a hard one to keep from coloring one's perceptions.
cappadocius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meta