Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-24-2012, 05:54 AM   #1
tieflyer

Default Best version of Munchkin to start playing with?

Brand new to the game, and the various versions all look great, but I need to start with one and build up. Thought of getting the Holiday edition for myself with the boosters packs, but since I was an assistant scout master, I am also gravitating to Munchkin 5 – De-Ranged since he looks like a scout master in the pics!

Help, where should I start my addiction?

Already purchased Booty with Fish and Ships for my Scout Master friends birthday present since he is into Pirating!
tieflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
Bampop

Default Re: Best version of Munchkin to start playing with?

The numbered expansions are not stand alone games. I suggest starting with the original Munchkin, often referred to as "Fantasy." It's the most basic version with the simplest (in munchkin terms; bwahaha) ruleset.

Several other expansions and versions have added rules for added fun, so basic is a good start. If that's not an issue, just pick a genre that excites you.
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com
Bampop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
Mister Ed

Yeah, the important thing is that you need to start with a Core Set (in the bigger box) before you get expansions (which come in a small tuck box).

Since you are interested in De-Ranged, you should probably get the original Munchkin (as Bampop suggested) as De-Ranged is an expansion for that set.

Once you have the Core Set, you can add expansions (for that version-expansions for other versions are designed to work with THAT version of the Core Set) to taste.

They were printed in the order of the numbers on the box, so some would suggest getting them in that order (that's the way they were designed to work), BUT I will say from personal experience that it isn't really that big a deal if you skip to the one that interests you most (De-Ranged is Munchkin 5). I got Need for Steed (Munchkin 4) as my first expansion, and it didn't really cause any problems. There were just a few odd cards that were there because of things added in previous expansions (that I didn't have yet), but they didn't have much effect on the game.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
CKorfmann

I definitely recommend starting with the fantasy deck. Most of the non-core-specific accessories that come with cards, come with fantasy cards, i.e. the Dice Bag, the Jumbo Dice, etc. Plus, it has the most expansions in general.
CKorfmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
tieflyer

So I guess buying my buddy the Booty with Fish and ships will not allow us to start playing since it is just an expansion and booster pack?
tieflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
Bampop

Well, if you bought Munchkin Booty, you're fine. If you bought Munchkin Booty 2: Jump the Shark, that's an expansion. There are currently 12 different core sets. All but three (Axe Cop, Impossible, and Conan) have at least one numbered expansion. If your set came in a larger box with a die. That's a core set.
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com
Bampop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
CKorfmann

Yes, and for the record, Booty is pretty fun. I've played that combo several times and have enjoyed it. When you are able, add in Booty 2 and it will only get better.

Sorry for the confustion. Bampop covered it, but if you'd like a visual, check out the website and look at the Munchkin card game page. There you will see all the core sets that are meant to be played seperately, but can be mixed together. It has recommended that if you mix them together that you add Muchkin (fantasy) 7: Cheat With Both Hands as it includes several cards specifically intended to make mixing decks (or blending as it's commonly referred) better. But... to start, you just wanna find one or two you like and stick to them for a while. I recommended Fantasy not just because it has the most available cards, but it's the one I like the best.
CKorfmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
emillang1000

I started with Fantasy in college, back when all you had was Fantasy, Star, Bites, and Impossible. I think maybe even Munchkin Foo was in there; either way, it was relatively early-on.

Fantasy is a good one to start with, but it's also a double-edged sword. It has the most promos, but it also has the most expansions, meaning there is a LOT of stuff to get.

One nice thing about something like Cthulhu or Booty is that they're fun, but don't have too many expansions or promos (well, Cthulhu has almost as many promos as Fantasy)
Old 08-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
RL

I really like Munchkin Cthulhu. I started with Munchkin Fu, and it's a blast.