Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
Piperdog

Default Dungeon Fantasy Lite

For those that know me here, you know I have played Gurps since the late 80's, and almost exclusively for the latter part of the 90's. In recent years, I left it behind for rules lite gaming for a number of reasons, and it was a good change for me. I miss many concepts of Gurps though, and got interested again with the Dungeon Fantasy line. I would like to see a rules lite book come out for it though, with a truncated skills list and simplified character generation. No, I don't mean Knight! or Thief! levels of truncated skills, but maybe something in between that and the way it is now. The old Merp system of I.C.E. had categories like 1-Hand Edged, and Missle Weapon. Fairly broad categories. I know that Gurps is full of optional materials, and you can use what you want to, but I am thinking of people who never gamed before. There needs to be a product that presents a very simple but complete set of rules to get started, listing abbreviated skills (and only those skills pertinent to the genre). It could be a free giveaway or be sold as DF print version. I personally think a rules lite boxed set of Gurps Dungeon Fantasy, done like the old TSR boxed D&D sets would kick ass. A rulebook, an adventure book, some dice, a map or two......awesomeness.
Piperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
b-dog

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Lite

I agree with you. I feel that the Dungeon Fantasy series is an excellent way to get new gamers into GURPS. I feel it should be self contained and easy to use for a beginner. But this is only my opinion. Going through endless books really turns off new gamers.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
newtkeeper

Maybe something like a version of the GURPS LITE rules they used for standalone products back in the day, and add the Dungeon Fantasy information? I can't imagine the Powers that Be releasing a proper 'boxed set', though- they say even a proper compilation of the PDFs would be unprofitable these days. I've sometimes wondered if they're not underestimating their own product, but I'm not the one with business experience.
newtkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
Piperdog

My primary reason for leaving Gurps for awhile was that my children wanted to learn to game, and I had to find a very rules lite game to teach them with. Since then, I went into a nostalgia talespin, getting into bare bones rules systems. But now, as I miss some of the Gurps stuff, I am back, but wishing it were much easier for my kids. Games like Dragon Age, Castles and Crusades, and the retro D&D clones like Swords and Wizardry, Labyrinth Lord, and OSRIC, are pulling in gamers who are new to the hobby, or have been gone a long, long time. Gurps is a great system, but it needs some different marketing to appeal to new gamers. Rather than be elitest, and appeal primarily to seasoned gamers, it seems a smart thing to me to create a product line that reels in new blood.

Put out a self-contained rules lite Basic Dungeon Fantasy book, in a simple saddle-stitched book, with a two page adventure in the back, and see what happens.
Piperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
OldSam

For me that sounds like the need for a Dungeon-Fantasy-"Worldbook" which is "powered by GURPS" - basically the format of the 3rd Ed. Discworld Sourcebook is a good example for what I mean! (though not the specific humorous setting ;-))

A book with an interesting, but foremost easily accessible Fantasy-Setting, which is not too specific, but rather generic, to cover all the common expectations from dungeon fantasy games... (dealing with many known stereotypical characters, races etc.) - and <not> using real world religious conflicts etc. (like Banestorm). Also "Powered by GURPS" would mean, that the book contains a version of the Lite-Rules, which of course should be tailored to the specific needs of the genre.

In fact I'm thinking about such a thing for a while and I even have a great setting-idea (at the very least for an ebook), which I might propose to sjg in the near future... (If I find the time etc.)
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:28 AM   #6
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtkeeper View Post
I've sometimes wondered if they're not underestimating their own product
Me too.

But . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtkeeper View Post
I'm not the one with business experience.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote