Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-29-2021, 08:32 PM   #1
edk926

Default How do Crafting Imbuements interact with Enchantment Spells?

Crafting Imbuements can be found in Pyramid 3/102. These crafting imbuements are made while the item itself is being crafted. The various imbuements are different than the various enchantment spells but can ultimately create similar effects. For example, one crafting imbuement is called Fortified Gear, and it gives you 5 points for protective traits like Damage Resistance, more if you are willing to attempt it at reduced skill. The Fortify Spell can give your armor +1 (or more) to DR as well.

Assuming Imbue has the Magical modifier, since Imbuing is happening during item creation, and Enchantment happens after the item has already been made, could you be able to (at a great cost for both processes) combine the Fortified Gear bonus and Fortify Spell bonus? Or does one supersede the other? What if the Imbue has, for example, the Divine modifier?
edk926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:18 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: How do Crafting Imbuements interact with Enchantment Spells?

There is no answer to the title question other than "How does the GM _want_ them to interact?".

If I were the GM I wouldn't try and mix them. They seem like alternate ways to skin the same cat to me.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:40 PM   #3
Rolando

it is a GM decision, based in the setting and campaign style and goals, and balance if anything.

But I can see a few general assumptions. If Imbuements are magical in nature then they may make enchanting an object a bit harder or easier. Mainly enchantments may be stacked in imbued artifacts and follow the same guidelines in multiple enchantments on an object.

For example, enchanting a +1 Fortified breastplate with additional Fortify enchantments, the object will have a maximum of total additional DR of 5.

On the other hand some enchantments will have no effect on an imbued object, like an object imbued to be able to affect spirits and incorporeal entities, enchanting it with ghost weapon will have no additional effect.

If imbuements are not magical in nature then there may be other additional interactions.

But as anything else, the GM may determine the exact way things work and may even determine that under certain circumstances something that worked one way will wor in some other way...specially when magic is involved.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:54 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk926 View Post
Crafting Imbuements can be found in Pyramid 3/102. These crafting imbuements are made while the item itself is being crafted. The various imbuements are different than the various enchantment spells but can ultimately create similar effects. For example, one crafting imbuement is called Fortified Gear, and it gives you 5 points for protective traits like Damage Resistance, more if you are willing to attempt it at reduced skill. The Fortify Spell can give your armor +1 (or more) to DR as well.

Assuming Imbue has the Magical modifier, since Imbuing is happening during item creation, and Enchantment happens after the item has already been made, could you be able to (at a great cost for both processes) combine the Fortified Gear bonus and Fortify Spell bonus? Or does one supersede the other? What if the Imbue has, for example, the Divine modifier?
They don't. Use one or the other.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:23 AM   #5
Varyon

My inclination would be to treat any item enhanced via magical crafting imbuements as though it had the equivalent enchantment. Something with +2 to damage would function as though it had Puissance 2 - adding a further +1 via enchantment would be the same as going from Puissance 2 to Puissance 3, rather than going from no enchantment to Puissance 1. As others have noted, however, it's ultimately up to the GM.

EDIT: As to other sources (divine, chi, psionic, etc), I'd say they exist simultaneously but don't "stack." If you get +2 to DR from Enchantment (magic), +1 to DR from some sort of blessing (divine), and +3 to DR from psionic crafting imbuements, you're only at best at +3 to DR, but if psionic abilities are blocked this only goes down to +2 (magic takes precedence), and if both psionics and magic are blocked you're still at +1 from the blessing; to completely shut down the armor's enchantments, you need to be in a no/low mana, no/low sanctity area with an anti-psi field of some flavor.

Last edited by Varyon; 09-30-2021 at 08:49 AM.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote