Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-24-2022, 09:08 AM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Dungeon Fantasy Companion 3

Capable delvers
Mighty challenges to face
Await you within
— Writing on a mysterious pyramid
If you agree that the theme of the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game is "more," then you'll be pleased to learn that there's more "more." It was always right under your nose . . . but strewn across nine issues of Pyramid. Here's all that goodness in one place, with better art, text tweaked and updated to reflect the system as it stands today, and in the same layout as the rest of the game (the original Pyramid issues were formatted differently from Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game supplements).

Dungeon Fantasy Companion 3 offers four new delving professions, plus more than a chapter of rules for customizing your hero's background, outlook, gear, and abilities; another complete chapter on designing dungeons, encounters, and entire adventures; a whole slew of monsters and traps; and six ready-to-use adventures. All tied together by a proper table of contents and index, plus new intro text, so it feels like a book, not just a random collection of stuff. With proper front and back cover pages, for those who plan to print and bind . . . say, by using the handy service at DriveThruRPG.

Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG31-1014
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:13 AM   #2
Kristoffer

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Companion 3

Wow! That was a bit of a stealth launch, I thought it was gonna be a kickstarter
Kristoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:17 AM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristoffer View Post

Wow! That was a bit of a stealth launch, I thought it was gonna be a kickstarter
So did I! But I guess The Powers That Be (of whom I'm a servant, not a member) had other plans. Or too many Kickstarters for one year. One of those.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 11:46 AM   #4
Baldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
With proper front and back cover pages, for those who plan to print and bind . . . say, by using the handy service at DriveThruRPG.
I use Amazon for PODs, hoping to see the book there...
Baldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 05:45 PM   #5
sparcipx

Hopefully the POD has the same dimensions as the other DFRPG books (so it can join them in the box)!
sparcipx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 05:50 PM   #6
AOTA

From looking at the PDF it appears to be the same size as the other books. This makes me happy.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 05:54 PM   #7
Michael Thayne

Conflicted because I'm a GURPS completist and am curious what revisions got made, but I already own every issue of Pyramid Volume 3 and this is probably not the best use of my $25.
Old 03-25-2022, 04:11 AM   #8
Blind Mapmaker

While I am very excited about the book and the preview looks really good to me, I am quite taken aback by the image of a money-counting, pointy-eared, hook-nosed goblin on the back-cover.

At first glance, this feels almost as much like an anti-semitic caricature as anything a certain fantasy author condones and there has been a lot of talk about this sort of thing lately. Here's a short article (from the Jewish Chroncile) on why this is problematic, even if it's completely coincidental.

Dungeon Fantasy goblins aren't even like that; they aren't naturally greedy or good with money (judging from DFRPG Monsters and how they're presented in GURPS DF). On the one hand, that makes it much better than what some other game companies are doing at the moment, but, on the other hand, the fact that this is on the second page of the preview will make some potentially interested buyers shy away from what is probably an excellent product. I sure am. For the first time in almost a decade I am not snapping up a GURPS or DFRPG product the moment it's available.

To make it perfectly clear, I am not accusing Steve Jackson Games of any intentional racism, but to me this feels like at least a quality control issue. I'd very much like the DFRPG to live up to the style it had in the boxed set that was refreshingly inclusive and avoided stereotyping. Goblins that are way too close to real-world anti-semitic caricatures are not the way to do that.
Old 03-25-2022, 05:56 AM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Maybe it's one of the goblins that Herschel defeated.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 06:32 AM   #10
Expy

Wow, some of the art on that preview looks beautiful. The three images of the halfling in exploits, and the ones in preparing too. Oooh and I just noticed the art credits. Gonna check them out!
Definitely buying the book when the next paycheck hits.
Expy is offline   Reply With Quote