Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 03-21-2022, 08:54 AM   #1
hcobb

Default The reverse of a mundane background advantage

Have you considered requiring that every wizard character spend the two memory points to learn Literacy and Aid, as any teacher would have required this?
Old 03-21-2022, 09:12 AM   #2
Bill_in_IN

Default Re: The reverse of a mundane background advantage

Both are good spells/talents with which to start but I wouldn't require either.

I would very strongly suggest Literacy and advise the player of the risks of not taking that talent for the wizard to properly develop or be as useful as wizards are regularly expected to be. They are usually the more intelligent PCs so being illiterate makes them much less useful although, I still would not push them into the useless category. What's the wizard going to do when they find a spell book or scroll that is key to the adventure? Hand it to the non-wizard that can read?

Now, if you have a fighter-wizard that is a hero with a couple of spells, he really only needs to know those spells that typically help them in combat. Literacy would be nice as it is for all characters but definitely not required.

Aid Spell is a choice and can be picked later when the wizard has enough strength or mana points in their staff to make it useful for them and the party in which they are a part.

Last edited by Bill_in_IN; 03-21-2022 at 11:12 AM.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:50 AM   #3
Shostak

Requiring Literacy implies that there is no hedge magic.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:02 AM   #4
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Requiring Literacy implies that there is no hedge magic.
I think that I know what you mean but could you define this term so that I can follow the conversation properly?
Old 03-21-2022, 10:12 AM   #5
hcobb

Without Literacy all spell training taxes a teacher's time.
Old 03-21-2022, 10:51 AM   #6
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_in_IN View Post
I think that I know what you mean but could you define this term so that I can follow the conversation properly?
Instruction that uses an oral tradition instead of writing would be a better description, since hedge schools often did include reading and writing (in Ireland, anyway) and have a connotation of being illicit.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:11 AM   #7
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Instruction that uses an oral tradition instead of writing would be a better description, since hedge schools often did include reading and writing (in Ireland, anyway) and have a connotation of being illicit.
Thanks. That describes what I thought and maybe a little more.
Old 03-21-2022, 01:40 PM   #8
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Have you considered requiring that every wizard character spend the two memory points to learn Literacy and Aid, as any teacher would have required this?
As others have pointed out, there are different paths to magical abilities; different traditions and origins. I agree that LITERACY and AID would be common for a large percentage of mages, but I also like the idea of hedge wizards and even spellcasters manifesting spontaneously in the world.
Old 03-21-2022, 02:20 PM   #9
hcobb

So you take dummies in the hedge school because these are disposable tools to expend against your oppressors? I suppose that even the Image spell can be used to stir unrest if properly used.
Old 03-21-2022, 02:55 PM   #10
phiwum

Henry, perhaps not every campaign is structured so the high IQ and fragile wizards are the only valuable characters while the remaining population serve as cannon fodder. Perhaps some campaigns include characters, including wizards, with middling IQs and average ST.

If you want a campaign where the only way to become a wizard is to go through a guild-accredited apprenticeship, then it would make sense to require Literacy and Aid for every wizard. It turns out that others don't want that sort of campaign, where the mightiest and most fearsome folks of all are those who tend a wicked fast transportation system (and who benefit from abnormally high approval ratings from the hoi polloi). But no problem. Room for everyone, after all.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote