Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
BetaTesterZERO

Default Ghost Employee

I want to make a character that acts as a ghost employee, in other words, although it has a job that requires your time and effort it just does not and still drawing his salary as if you were at work (doing it by fraud).

How does it work? It would be a case of "Secret"?
BetaTesterZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
Nosforontu

Default Re: Ghost Employee

I would say it is a combination of Secret and enough independent income to cover the "jobs income level"
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
Dustin

Sounds like Independent Income + Secret.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Dalillama

Or possibly just Independent Income, depending on the setting. It's not unheard of for someone of aristocratic breeding and/or a familial relationship to a CEO to get a job with a fancy title, a fat paycheck, and a more competent, worse paid, and less well-connected assistant to do the actual work.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
BetaTesterZERO

I've noticed this but the cost would become a troubling issue. Independent Income can only cover 20% of Starting Wealth that can correspond to the extra money to gain 10% of the corresponding of Average level of wealth existing in scenario. It was concluded to have an income equal to the average I would account for 70 points. For that price would be par Wealthy and still be left over points!

There must be an alternative...
Old 11-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
Nosforontu

At TL 8 a character with average wealth starts the campaign with either 20k. Each month the character works at a job and makes a successful job roll he earns 2,600$ a month. A character with independent income earns 1% of his starting wealth each month without spending any time working at TL 8 and with Average income he earns 200$ a month for each point invested in independent income.

Taking the 2,600$ he would be expected to earn that month if he was working and dividing by 200$ per point of independent income. I get 13 points invested in independent income will equal out the income of a job for an average income employee.
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
Anaraxes

You don't mention anything about the setting, but I'm guessing from the reference to 70 points that it's TL 3. (You can't per RAW have more than 20 points in Independent Income.)

TL 3 Starting Wealth: $1000
20 points of Independent Income: $200 / month
Typical monthly pay: $700

TL 8 Starting Wealth: $20,000
20 points of Independent Income: $4000 / month
Typical monthly pay: $2600

Using the Basic values for TL 3, the cheapest way to get an income of $700/month is to be Wealthy [20] with 14 points of Independent Income [14] for a total of 34 CP. Starting wealth is then $5000, * 14% = $700. You could also be Very Wealthy [30] with 4 points of II ($20,000 * 4% = $800), again for 34 CP.

The Wealth rules are certainly highly debatable, but it may very well be intentional that the monthly pay levels flatten out at lower tech levels, representing labor unamplified by much in the way of productivity technology. Unless you're Wealthy enough to own a manor, have connections to receive a stipend from the crown, own your own business with several apprentices, or whatever, it's hard to generate extra wealth. II may intentionally be not for average people at low tech levels.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaTesterZERO View Post
I've noticed this but the cost would become a troubling issue. Independent Income can only cover 20% of Starting Wealth that can correspond to the extra money to gain 10% of the corresponding of Average level of wealth existing in scenario. It was concluded to have an income equal to the average I would account for 70 points. For that price would be par Wealthy and still be left over points!

There must be an alternative...
At TL 8, the starting wealth is $20,000. 15 points in Independent Income gives $3,000 per month which is a better than average income. All of this assumes a status of 0.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
BetaTesterZERO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosforontu View Post
I get 13 points invested in independent income will equal out the income of a job for an average income employee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
You don't mention anything about the setting, but I'm guessing from the reference to 70 points that it's TL 3. (You can't per RAW have more than 20 points in Independent Income.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
At TL 8, the starting wealth is $20,000. 15 points in Independent Income gives $3,000 per month which is a better than average income. All of this assumes a status of 0.
But the calculation off Independent Income is done over the Starting Wealth. Assuming that the character does not work your financial situation is qualified as Dead Broke and so this percentage been charged on zero, to avoid this problem would be to buy Extra Money.

Last edited by BetaTesterZERO; 11-02-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
malloyd

The GURPS mechanics don't do variations in how hard the job is well at all.

Personally I'd just have you buy the appropriate Wealth level, pay 5 points for never having to worry about finding work (equivalent to Tenure) and somewhere between 6 and 20 points for not actually having to show up to draw your pay (equivalent to the cost of enough Less Sleep to have as many extra "free" hours a month as you would ordinarily be expected to work - 6 would be for a modern part time job, 12 for a 40 hour week, 20 for a satanic mill sort of one (10 hours, 7 days a week, or 12 hours, 6 days).

Tags
character creation, character points, character sheet, character stats