Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2017, 01:03 PM   #1601
Celjabba
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Luxembourg
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Allergies I assume, because I thought that only Asian giant hornets can kill people that aren't allergic or stung literally thousands of times.
Allergies. There is a victim every few years. But since we spent a few millennia geting rid of anything deadlier and larger, or domesticating it, wasp win by default. Viper are very rare and rarely kill fast enough that you cannot get treatment. Wild boar are more common but usually run away instead of attacking. Wasp are everywhere, and if someone allergic get stung for the first time ever in or around the throat...

Speaking of wild animals, it seem the little girl caught by a sea lion was actually bitten, and is now enjoying a cocktail of antibiotics just in case.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:35 PM   #1602
William
 
William's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Man survives 30 years in the woods, thieving and hiding. He so rarely saw or spoke to anyone that his verbal skills had atrophied when he was caught.

Asked upon his arrest for deep mystic wisdom about the human condition, ignore the actual reply he gives ("Get enough sleep.") and look at what he said earlier: that without anyone else around, his identity became tenuous. When there's no one else for you to say you're not, it's hard to say who you are, because what would the claim mean? There's not so much a "you" as there is one among many objects in the world.

Proof of concept, at least, for a character in a game. Had he been managing it legally -- say, in a medieval forest where he would have the right to forage and hunt -- he might have passed the rest of his life out there and died as alone as he wished. Or maybe with no identity to lose, he might have died and not noticed.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:10 AM   #1603
Anders
 
Anders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Man survives 30 years in the woods, thieving and hiding. He so rarely saw or spoke to anyone that his verbal skills had atrophied when he was caught.

Asked upon his arrest for deep mystic wisdom about the human condition, ignore the actual reply he gives ("Get enough sleep.") and look at what he said earlier: that without anyone else around, his identity became tenuous. When there's no one else for you to say you're not, it's hard to say who you are, because what would the claim mean? There's not so much a "you" as there is one among many objects in the world.

Proof of concept, at least, for a character in a game. Had he been managing it legally -- say, in a medieval forest where he would have the right to forage and hunt -- he might have passed the rest of his life out there and died as alone as he wished. Or maybe with no identity to lose, he might have died and not noticed.
Be aware, though, that most people do not seek out this kind of solitude. He may have had issues with identity even before he took off for the woods. Very interesting.
__________________
“When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive, to think, to enjoy, to love ...” Marcus Aurelius
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #1604
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Be aware, though, that most people do not seek out this kind of solitude. He may have had issues with identity even before he took off for the woods. Very interesting.
If you're off in one way, you're probably off in another. Like how if you have one allergy, you're very likely to have others.
Long periods of solitude is literally torture for healthy humans, so someone wanting, or believing they need it, is off in more ways than one.
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:10 AM   #1605
exalted
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Proof of concept, at least, for a character in a game. Had he been managing it legally -- say, in a medieval forest where he would have the right to forage and hunt.
In most medieval forests however he would have been hunted as a poacher, vagrant or madman and not unlikely all three. Those people usually had very strict rules for who could do what to forests that where remotely close to any habitation.
exalted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:13 PM   #1606
David Johnston2
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted View Post
In most medieval forests however he would have been hunted as a poacher, vagrant or madman and not unlikely all three. Those people usually had very strict rules for who could do what to forests that where remotely close to any habitation.
But then he could pretty much avoid people just by being a "holy hermit'.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:51 PM   #1607
Johnny1A.2
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
If you're off in one way, you're probably off in another. Like how if you have one allergy, you're very likely to have others.
Long periods of solitude is literally torture for healthy humans, so someone wanting, or believing they need it, is off in more ways than one.
It's a spectrum, and people fall along it between 'loner' and 'hive' But yeah, I'm pretty sure Heinlein had it right when he had a character observe that humans need both company and solitude, and you can drive someone mad by depriving them of either for long enough.
__________________
HMS Overflow-For conversations off topic here.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:05 PM   #1608
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Even the most antisocial healthy person that ever lived still needs some human interaction for sanity. Over periods of weeks to a month or two, of course. While many people suffer severely if they go for just a single day or two sans social interaction.
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:30 PM   #1609
David Johnston2
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

A skin care clinic in Vietnam was recently spotted using the Umbrella Corp logo as theirs. Now we know where the zombie apocalypse starts...
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #1610
Anders
 
Anders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Diver attacked by octopus.

And so it begins...
__________________
“When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive, to think, to enjoy, to love ...” Marcus Aurelius
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.