Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2020, 11:45 AM   #141
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
She rigs the sprinklers and a fire on deck 19 successfully. She rigs a trap on deck 18 as well
Well, I was going on 17 and 18 then pause before 19 (as the dance may be in away .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Also, I swear she had luck on her sheet. oh well.
Shows what I get for going cheap on a template. I can send you the better formatted sheet GCA spat out if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
How long of a delay does she want before the fires break out?
Well, I was planning on "when the lights go on" but maybe an hour after the dance ends?

The rest:

Stealth, to get to the deck 19 food store:
Quote:
[89] 20-09-23 18:33:21 CEST
Stealth
3d6 <= 16 : 6 + 4 + 5 = 15 ... success
Only by three...

Climbing to get at the lights and sprinklers:
Quote:
[90] 20-09-23 18:36:42 CEST
Climbing
3d6 <= 14 : 5 + 1 + 1 = 7 ... success
Traps to disable the sprinklers and rig the fire:
Quote:
[91] 20-09-23 18:37:45 CEST
Traps
3d6 <= 13 : 6 + 6 + 3 = 15 ... failure
Well at least I'm consistent.

Now Stealth, to return to the dance:
Quote:
[92] 20-09-23 18:41:33 CEST
Stealth
3d6 <= 16 : 6 + 4 + 1 = 11 ... success
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:29 PM   #142
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

On deck 19, Hua accidentally starts the bricks on fire early.



The alarms have been tinkered with and won't go off for a a few minutes, but H2 bricks are quite flammable, and grabbing the fire extinguisher will set off the fire alarms.. and they may reveal that the sprinklers have been tampered with.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:44 AM   #143
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
On deck 19, Hua accidentally starts the bricks on fire early.
Well, toss the kit into the fire (hopefully destroying any evidence) and slip back to the dance.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:00 PM   #144
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

OOC: this replaces the earlier Mental Surgery roll on the cook that resisted.

[93] 20-09-24 22:56:21 CEST

Mental Surgery with Pressed Attack technique to give Delusion (Day just told my fortune and didn't mess with my mind) [-5]. -8 to skill, will spend a total of 7FP (2 base for use of a technique, 5 to offset skill penalty).

3d6 <= 15
3 + 2 + 2 = 7 ... success by 8!

Relieved to have averted disaster and suddenly deeply fatigued, Day is going to excuse himself and go to bed. He plans to continue using Mental Surgery over the next two days to convince those in his mess he is not suspicious and to convince the cooks not to use flour or additives that contain psi-suppressants.

OOC: On the plus side, he will have a use of Luck on each of those days to help deal with failures or poor rolls. How do you want to handle this? How many rolls does he need to make? It's likely not practical to affect everyone in his mess, but he's targeting those he regularly eats with and the cooks.
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:40 PM   #145
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

The incident with the mind control happened in the late morning, as the cooks were getting started with the meal. Going to bed means either abandoning your post (with or without Pothi) or calling in sick.

Pothi is most concerned about Daymar's condition, and asks if he wants to stop by the infirmary. Daymar is above 1/3rd FP (he's at 5/12) so he can keep functioning if he has to.

Quote:
How do you want to handle this? How many rolls does he need to make? It's likely not practical to affect everyone in his mess, but he's targeting those he regularly eats with and the cooks.
you need to hit 6 cooks: you've made those rolls, though two haven't been processed yet. You also need to effect around 6 fellows eating with you-- the ship's quarters are cramped, and they sit 8 to a table most of the time. Pothi and you are of course already accounted for.

skin contact doesn't need to be rolled for, but the mental surgery rolls really do: its dangerous to do, but yields potentially large rewards.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:00 PM   #146
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Hua heads back to the dance as the flames build on deck 19. Botha is still enjoying herself. It doesn't take too long for the alarms on deck 19 to go off.



The dance is close enough to the deck 19 store that the alarms can be heard, even through the bulkhead. The spacers leap into action quickly: this is one emergency that is drilled for fairly regularly. crew race to the location and open up the fire-fighting equipment. Thee aren't enough fire-suits in this compartment, so only the most eager crew will get to go into the thick of the fire. Many crew place a larger priority on finding their scattered buddies.



the compartment with the food is heated and filling with hydrogen gas, burning out the oxygen, and making everything slightly damp. Hua left open the hatches to the life-support compartment to its starboard as well, enlarging the fire and hoping to have more oxygen for the whole thing.



What will Hua be doing when the alarm goes off, and what will she do after it goes off?
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:46 PM   #147
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
What will Hua be doing when the alarm goes off, and what will she do after it goes off?
Well, I'll act like nothing is wrong and the fire is a surprise:
Quote:
[94] 20-09-25 00:39:57 CEST
Acting
3d6 <= 16 : 2 + 4 + 1 = 7 ... success
When the alarms go off, I'll act confused briefly and go to help contain the fire (and I'll be able to get a look at my handiwork).

Spacer for firefighting (seems appropriate given drilling):
Quote:
[95] 20-09-25 00:43:33 CEST
Spacer
3d6 <= 14 : 2 + 4 + 4 = 10 ... success
Observation to check what's burning:
Quote:
[96] 20-09-25 00:44:35 CEST
Observation
3d6 <= 13 : 6 + 3 + 2 = 11 ... success
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:12 PM   #148
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The incident with the mind control happened in the late morning, as the cooks were getting started with the meal. Going to bed means either abandoning your post (with or without Pothi) or calling in sick.
I intended all of those rolls to take place Tuesday night, when he was showing off his Palmistry hookum. The rolls for Wednesday and Thursday I was going to do separately.
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).

Last edited by GnomesofZurich; 09-25-2020 at 05:11 AM.
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:17 AM   #149
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
I intended all of those rolls to take place Tuesday night, when he was showing off his Palmistry hookum. The rolls for Wednesday and Thursday I was going to do separately.

hmm... That is indeed what you said. I read it wrong.

You will need to hit each of the breakfast, lunch, and dinner cooks in the hours when they are on duty rather than at night.

We can apply the failed roll to a table buddy or to a pair of chefs. you can choose.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------'
Hua is among the first to react to the alarms, and gets one of the coveted fire suits. On her way to the fire, she spots Botha, who is looking around, presumably for Hua. In the fire gear, Hua isn't going to be recognizable.



The sprinklers are properly down in the food compartment, but on in life support. Life support also has the ship's water tanks and recovery system, as well as tanks for generating oxygen. Even with fire gear, its not safe to just go in and look at the blaze. Unlike many ship fires, this one has actual smoke from some of the food going up. Even though the sprinklers in the life support compartment protect the CO2 scrubbers and storage tanks, the hydrogen storage compartments still burn. Foam is sprayed into the brick compartments, hoping to deprive them of oxygen. Crackling pops are heard as the bricks destabilize and explode. Someone is trying to figure out why the sprinklers over the food storage haven't gone off yet.



The food hasn't had time to bake in the heat properly, but it is getting very scorched. Some people are busy trying to move particularly valuable or flammable goods out of the effected area, like hydrogen bricks on the outskirts of the area, laser chemical cartridges, and some of the more precious food (flour is not anywhere close to precious in this context).


Where will Hua try to get assigned?


Daymar was also on deck 19 when this all went down. What will he do when the fire alarms go off?
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 09-25-2020 at 08:33 AM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:12 AM   #150
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Where will Hua try to get assigned?
I'll try to get assigned to moving things, based on being in transportation.

Quote:
[97] 20-09-25 18:11:35 CEST
Freight Handling
3d6 <= 14 : 4 + 5 + 1 = 10 ... success
Is there anything inconspicuous I can do to try and help things along?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.