Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-12-2015, 02:48 PM   #1
isf

Default School, Study, and Reincarnation advantages

I have been working on a serially reincarnating witch for a MH/Cabal game and was wondering about how she would grow up, specifically regarding schooling.

For a character with Reawakened (10) or Racial Memory (Active, Immersive) (60), how do the rules for study and education Back To School interact?

Allowing the character to buy Accelerated Learning (only for things known to past lives -20%) (16 or 32).

Allowing the character to buy relevant wildcard skills, particularly in history

Making a modular ability for past skills give you 1 point of abilities if cosmic and (only for things known to past lives -20%) per 8 pts spent.

Something else?

Wpu;d any of these make sense as alternative abilities?
Old 07-13-2015, 09:53 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: School, Study, and Reincarnation advantages

Quote:
Originally Posted by isf View Post
I have been working on a serially reincarnating witch for a MH/Cabal game and was wondering about how she would grow up, specifically regarding schooling.

For a character with Reawakened (10) or Racial Memory (Active, Immersive) (60), how do the rules for study and education Back To School interact?

Allowing the character to buy Accelerated Learning (only for things known to past lives -20%) (16 or 32).

Allowing the character to buy relevant wildcard skills, particularly in history

Making a modular ability for past skills give you 1 point of abilities if cosmic and (only for things known to past lives -20%) per 8 pts spent.

Something else?
Racial Memory appears not to be relevant; it's for recall of factual knowledge, not of skills. As for Reawakened, is there a reason not to go with the Basic Set's version?

You can “remember” skills (spells, techniques, etc.) learned during previous lives. You must purchase these abilities normally; Reawakened is just a special Unusual Background (p. 96) that explains how you learned them without a teacher.

That doesn't give you any increase in learning rate. Rather, it allows you to put the skills on your character sheet as "I always knew this," even if there is no source of information on them available to you in the physical world.

° At the baseline, as someone Reawakened, you enter play already having those skills.

° If you reawaken during play, I might treat the new skills like spells granted by a god to someone with Power Investiture. That is, however many character points you have available to spend, the GM will decide what past skills you remember and grant you a point each.

° For a more active process, you might get defaults in the skills—including suitable defaults in skills that normally lack defaults—and get to try using them in play; once you succeed, you get a Dreaming roll to consolidate the knowledge and awaken the memories.

° Your idea about modular abilities isn't bad, so long as you're willing to accept losing the abilities immediately after using them. This might work for being temporarily possessed by an ancestor or a past self in a crisis, but not actually gaining conscious access to their skills.

° You might also want to look at Wild Talent.

I might allow Racial Memory to be a basis for Area Knowledge or something else purely factual. I wouldn't normally let it give you history, because the ordinary person does not have History skill for their own era. You might, I suppose, devise a perk giving +1 for history of a specific era equal to one human lifespan.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:44 PM   #3
isf

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Racial Memory appears not to be relevant; it's for recall of factual knowledge, not of skills. As for Reawakened, is there a reason not to go with the Basic Set's version?
Not once you asked that. I was picturing the character actively being the same mind and experiences all along (software) but generally having trouble running on inferior hardware until the brain finishes maturing but didn't realize that this was influencing my question.

Quote:
° You might also want to look at Wild Talent.
Yes, I had not thought of that.

Quote:
I might allow Racial Memory to be a basis for Area Knowledge or something else purely factual. I wouldn't normally let it give you history, because the ordinary person does not have History skill for their own era. You might, I suppose, devise a perk giving +1 for history of a specific era equal to one human lifespan.
The specific character has achieved this particular type of immortality a long time ago and is a fairly powerful witch in a cabal setting. I would think that having seen firsthand so much of the past would give a larger perspective.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:57 PM   #4
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by isf View Post
The specific character has achieved this particular type of immortality a long time ago and is a fairly powerful witch in a cabal setting. I would think that having seen firsthand so much of the past would give a larger perspective.
I wouldn't have it grant the skill of History. I might allow the use of a suitable Area Knowledge as a complementary skill.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabal, racial memory, reawakened, school