Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2021, 03:05 PM   #1
Daimyo_Shi
 
Daimyo_Shi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Default How many Auto Manufacturers are there in NA?

So I am marvelling that the second coming of the huge amoun of small Auto manufacturers in North America in Car Wars, I figure that this is highly standardized largely robotic manufacturing with Engineers and designers as major over head with small management teams when compared to the Corporations that existed before the Economic troubles. I interested in hearing opinions on this.
__________________
CADA - Calgary
"If designing a Monte Carlo clone and putting a Thundercat power plant is wrong I don't want to be Right!"
Daimyo_Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:44 PM   #2
43Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: How many Auto Manufacturers are there in NA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo_Shi View Post
So I am marvelling that the second coming of the huge amoun of small Auto manufacturers in North America in Car Wars, I figure that this is highly standardized largely robotic manufacturing with Engineers and designers as major over head with small management teams when compared to the Corporations that existed before the Economic troubles. I interested in hearing opinions on this.
Well, the number would seem to vary -- it's noted in the writeup for the _Bastille_ the company which originally made it went out-of-business, and Samson picked up the construction rights -- so there's no telling how many might exist at a given moment.
__________________
"Dale *who*?"

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:13 PM   #3
swordtart
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Default Re: How many Auto Manufacturers are there in NA?

Also these could be three men in a garage knocking out custom vehicles, one of which got lucky in a regional final once. There doesn't have to be a manufactory producing thousands of that vehicle behind it, anyone can make a one-off custom design due to the standardised parts.

The Chassis + Suspension + Plant combinations are more limited and these might well be manufactured in the thousands by big companies, they just don't put their badge on the car that is built on them. This makes economic sense as fitting the plant is a more difficult job (and it is often the single most expensive component). Also the chassis limit pretty much determines what your plant needs to be and this further limits the credible combinations.

Every other component can be an after-market fit. Armour can be readily changed and that is what will set the "look" of the vehicle. Weapons are easily swapped in and out and they determine your combat performance.

This was the way it worked in the early years of motor vehicle manufacture. You bought a chassis and got another company to fit the coachwork to your personal specification. It was Ford who came up with the standardised design and that was only so that he could mass produce.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:11 PM   #4
juris
 
juris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CA
Default Re: How many Auto Manufacturers are there in NA?

It's spelled 'Fnord' ;)

I imagine there is no equivalent to Ford or GM etc. Most manufacturers should be local. I think the original naming system was based on the designer (I'd have to check the back of the AADA VGs where it lists who designed what).

My favorites - Aquarius Motors with all of their astrological sign names (I guess they could only make 13 vehicles). Fnord (obviously) as it's iconic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
.

This was the way it worked in the early years of motor vehicle manufacture. You bought a chassis and got another company to fit the coachwork to your personal specification. It was Ford who came up with the standardised design and that was only so that he could mass produce.
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 05:47 PM   #5
Daimyo_Shi
 
Daimyo_Shi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Default Re: How many Auto Manufacturers are there in NA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juris View Post
It's spelled 'Fnord' ;)

I imagine there is no equivalent to Ford or GM etc. Most manufacturers should be local. I think the original naming system was based on the designer (I'd have to check the back of the AADA VGs where it lists who designed what).

My favorites - Aquarius Motors with all of their astrological sign names (I guess they could only make 13 vehicles). Fnord (obviously) as it's iconic.
It was Mystic with the Zodiac line. Part of the Reason I was wondering is because I slowly working through ADQ and AADA To create a reference for my campaign, some if it is guessing given how lore Light Car Wars can be.

It isn't complete but this is the start of it.

Car Wars Vehicle Companies
__________________
CADA - Calgary
"If designing a Monte Carlo clone and putting a Thundercat power plant is wrong I don't want to be Right!"
Daimyo_Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:58 PM   #6
juris
 
juris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CA
Default Re: How many Auto Manufacturers are there in NA?

Ah correct. I was going from memory. Good catch.

My own idea: Mercenary Motors. Founded by a successful cycle bandit gone (semi) legit. All MM designs are road tested, with an emphasis on survivability. Ironically, the 'Pursuit Special' is a very popular line of police interceptors, based on what cycle gangs fear the most.

Pursuit Special -- Luxury, Extra-Heavy chassis, Heavy suspension, Sport power plant w/SC, Heavy-Duty High-Torque Motors, 10-pt CA (Power Plant), Fire Extinguisher, 4 Solid Radial tires, Driver w/HRSWC and BA and Safety Seat and 10-pt CA, Blast Cannon Front w/extra magazine and magazine switch and 10 shots HEAT and 10 shots HESH, Heavy Flaming Oil Jet Back, Heavy-Duty Shocks, Heavy-Duty Brakes, Antilock Brakes, Overdrive, Spoiler, Airdam, Plastic Armor: F40, L35, R35, B40, T10, U10, 2 10-pt Wheelguards Back, 2 10-pt Wheelhubs Front, Acceleration 10 (x2 w/HDHTMs), Top Speed 120 +20 w/Overdrive, HC 4 (5 @60mph), 6600 lbs., $39550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo_Shi View Post
It was Mystic with the Zodiac line. Part of the Reason I was wondering is because I slowly working through ADQ and AADA To create a reference for my campaign, some if it is guessing given how lore Light Car Wars can be.

It isn't complete but this is the start of it.

Car Wars Vehicle Companies
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 02:35 AM   #7
ak_aramis
 
ak_aramis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alsea, OR
Default Re: How many Auto Manufacturers are there in NA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo_Shi View Post
So I am marvelling that the second coming of the huge amoun of small Auto manufacturers in North America in Car Wars, I figure that this is highly standardized largely robotic manufacturing with Engineers and designers as major over head with small management teams when compared to the Corporations that existed before the Economic troubles. I interested in hearing opinions on this.
13 are listed on statistica; those are big names (smallest being Tesla). I'm well aware of at least three small ones in Oregon alone... but they're small scale custom places. One's in greater Portland, one's in Springfield. A third is in Medford area... all are very niche. One's building enclosed electric trikes on motorcycle frames. Another is using 4-wheeled 1-2-1 3 seat inline electrics... the side wheels retract at speed. The third is souped up golf carts. 2 of the three make things needing plates....

Many states have such small <50/year manufacturers. (Alaska has a boat yard that will make a custom car if you ask really nice and have the cash... and the plans... they assembled a kit car for a guy I know. Not cheap, but it passed roadworthiness.)
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.