Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-11-2015, 12:36 PM   #11
Varyon

Default Re: [Sorcery] Plant Growth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Looking at the problem again... I don't think either Growth or Ghostdancer's solution has the Oomph I'm looking for. When you're trying to grow a seed into a flower, an increase of 10% or SM +1 is fairly trivial. So I think I'll combine Create and Control in some heinous fashion.
Reread Ghostdancer's solution. Growth is +10% for a 10%/level boost, +60% for a 20%/level boost, +110% for a +30%/level boost, and so forth. Now, I assume Plant Growth shouldn't have the "Doesn't affect Subject Weight" modifier of Ghostdancer's solution, so that means you're instead looking at +60%, +110%, +160%, and so forth, respectively.

A brief bit of internet research gives an estimate of around 14 days as the "doubling time" for shoots under optimal laboratory conditions. Assuming a plant typically doubles in size in a month (they're probably faster than this in the beginning, much slower once they've reached a decent size), that means a +100% boost is what you need. That's a +510% increase (assuming Control 1), and saying it results in a month's growth rather than a true doubling is probably appropriate. Control Plants is [20]/level, and you'll probably be using the final weight of whatever you're effecting. If the largest you can get the plant to grow is to 10 lb, that's [122]. If it's 40 lb, that's [144]. If it's 90 lb, that's around [156], 160 lb is around [168], 250 is around [210], and so forth - you need less Growth as you can effect more weight.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:37 PM   #12
Gnomasz

There's also Short Lifespan disadvantage that reduces maturation time as well. Though it's supposed to have only 4 levels, where 15.5 are needed. I'd maybe charge +50% cosmic for surpassing that limitation, it doesn't seem to be very game-braking when it can be only applied to plants.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:59 PM   #13
wellspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
There's also Short Lifespan disadvantage that reduces maturation time as well. Though it's supposed to have only 4 levels, where 15.5 are needed. I'd maybe charge +50% cosmic for surpassing that limitation, it doesn't seem to be very game-braking when it can be only applied to plants.
I've been watching this thread in part because I'm curious about spells that reduce age for human targets.
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:27 PM   #14
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellspring View Post
I've been watching this thread in part because I'm curious about spells that reduce age for human targets.
Human aging or reducing aging is affliction(unaging(age control +20%)).
Old 09-11-2015, 06:29 PM   #15
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Looking at other options - how about Afflicting Growth with Permanency?
Any reason why Control Plants (Vital Manipulation) not working for you?

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 02:35 AM   #16
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Any reason why Control Plants (Vital Manipulation) not working for you?
I'd have to read the original article to be sure and I'm trying to cut down on expenditure at the moment.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:50 PM   #17
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I'd have to read the original article to be sure and I'm trying to cut down on expenditure at the moment.
Well, with one level you can grow a plant 10%. Just add Extended Duration, Permanent (+150%) to make that additive. It'll take more time, but should do what you want. There was this thread a while back.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sorcery