Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-14-2019, 08:09 PM   #171
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: TFT Helper - beta test of app

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymc View Post
That’s a taller order than you’d think from a mobile app designed to work cross-platform at a variety of screen sizes. Hard in iOS, I would think. Nigh-impossible in Android without crippling it on anything but the newest devices.

Adobe should build an import feature into PDF for “mail merge” to allow a PDF form to import standard-formatted data. There are third-party plugins that do this, but they are expensive. That would solve a whole hell of a lot of “move data to printable formats” problems across all platforms — and solving multi-platform problems is what PDF is supposed to do.
Data is easy, presentation is not :-)
Old 08-17-2019, 06:59 AM   #172
tcr25

Not sure if this is a bug or limitation, but damage from cestus displays poorly.

On the weapon line, it shows Cestus (By ST), but in the Arena, it shows "You roll NaNdNaN for damage... NaN=NaN for a total of NaN. Edulf takes NaN points of damage..." The character had 12 ST (6 ST remaining).

It was enough to finish Edulf off (so 3 or more points of damage), so it's all good, but still ...

Last edited by tcr25; 08-18-2019 at 02:46 PM.
tcr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #173
Mallen the dark

NaN is a programming error saying answer is "not a number". There is a text to number error somewhere.
Mallen the dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:59 PM   #174
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcr25 View Post
Not sure if this is a bug or limitation, but damage from cestus displays poorly.

On the weapon line, it shows Cestus (By ST), but in the Arena, it shows "You roll NaNdNaN for damage... NaN=NaN for a total of NaN. Edulf takes NaN points of damage..." The character had 12 ST (6 ST remaining).

It was enough to finish Edulf off (so 3 or more points of damage), so it's all good, but still ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallen the dark View Post
NaN is a programming error saying answer is "not a number". There is a text to number error somewhere.
not only is it a text-to-number issue, it's specifically a display issue (i.e., the app had the number internally to calculate the damage, but didn't have the right information to display the details).
Old 08-20-2019, 11:45 AM   #175
andreww

A couple of responses:

My googling tells me Android OS has a 76% market share, but only 42.5% of TFT Helper users are on Android. I am committed to both platforms. 95% of issues effect both platforms in any case.

A printable character sheet would be really, really neat. It would be a chunk of work, but I may take a stab at it in 1.1 or 1.2.

Meanwhile, I am collecting issues from here, other forums, and emails and expect to have 1.0.2 out by the end of August with small fixes. Bigger stuff will have to wait for 1.1. I will probably release a beta of 1.1 first, which may only be announced here.

I don't use Facebook, so if you happen to notice an issue mentioned there but not here feel free to echo it.

Last edited by andreww; 08-20-2019 at 11:46 AM. Reason: added Facebook comment
andreww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:38 AM   #176
Fuhrmanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreww View Post
A printable character sheet would be really, really neat. It would be a chunk of work, but I may take a stab at it in 1.1 or 1.2.

I don't use Facebook, so if you happen to notice an issue mentioned there but not here feel free to echo it.
A short-term solution (easy) would be a functionality to export to CSV (or JSON). It would allow the community to develop character sheets separately, but perhaps SJG is not cool with that possibility.

You're asking users to copy/paste feedback from Facebook to here, and I have to say I would not take the time to do that. Hopefully you can understand our perspective. Unlike Facebook, this forum's software is from the 1990s and is tedious to use on a telephone (my guess is you don't use a smartphone to type your answers here). This forum does not have a responsive stylesheet (meaning you have to zoom in to read the pages that are rendered as if you're on a PC).

TFT Helper is aimed at smartphones, so it seems easier to discuss things on a facebook-like (modern technology) thread. That said, I totally understand you may not want to use a personal facebook account for many important reasons. However, could it not be feasible to set up a dummy account and page to manage TFT Helper feedback on Facebook? I guarantee you will get more input on the app. Hope you can appreciate this point of view.
Fuhrmanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:54 AM   #177
andreww

I'll see if I can squeeze CSV export into 1.0.2. The community-developed spreadsheets that would result would be a very important contribution to my secret goal behind the entire project. This latter will be revealed in the Designer's Notes.

I specifically said "echo", not "copy/paste" because there are all kinds of interesting issues surrounding copying someone's words from one forum into another. Some kind folks have already sent me emails about something said on Facebook that was helpful, and were kind enough to post my response. I want to hear everything.

I'm not asking anyone to do anything that's annoying or that they are no inclined to do. But if you see something on Facebook and feel like echoing it, the issue will get added to the work list that much sooner.

Last edited by andreww; 08-21-2019 at 10:03 AM. Reason: punctuation, Facebook
Old 09-05-2019, 04:48 AM   #178
JustAnotherJarhead

eagerly awaiting the next release.

I've run the current character capacities to exhaustion, we need the ability to ready a shield and a sword after dumping the crossbow in an arena fight, just need that third ready weapon option to work.

I'm also ready to use the other weapons like Guns, fix the Boomerang range,and have missle and thrown weapons skills work as intended on fire rates, adj. DX increased fire rates would be good too, and ready and throw in the same turn etc , Other Talents like Quick draw and Running and Tactics would be cool too.

I just discovered am Arena glitch, while engaged with the two goblins, I noticed it will not allow me to DISENGAGE from the slow Melee goblin, even though i have Initiative and I have the higher DX.

Last edited by JustAnotherJarhead; 09-07-2019 at 12:13 AM.
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:03 AM   #179
hcobb

My most successful character:

Goblin Hero
ST 6, DX 15(11), IQ 11
Dagger, Small Shield, Fine Plate Armor
Goblinish, Knife, Naturalist, Physicker, Shield, Shield Expertise, Weapon Expertise

Use the Physicker bug to recover two hits after encounters where you took no damage and win until the enemy rolls that three eyed snake and does triple damage to you.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:34 PM   #180
andreww

TFT Helper should work under iOS 13, but big upgrades are always scary.

After some research the betting odds are:

99% = TFT Helper works fine
0.9% = TFT Helper won't launch at all
0.1% = TFT Helper runs, but the rolling die animations and some other visual things are off a bit.

If anyone is using iOS 13 please let me know how the app works.