Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 10-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #61
RainOfSteel

Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Although the word Clarsach is the ancient Irish word for a harp, in the 3I a Clarsach is a form of Harp Guitar.
Nice. Consider it snagged, although I consider its 3I history to have almost certainly had ups and downs.
RainOfSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #62
RainOfSteel

Zhodane Defeat Mystery

Although the Zhodani lost both the First and Second Frontier Wars to the military skills of Olav hault-Plankwell and then later Arbellatra Alkhalikoi, these two Grand Admirals each, immediately after their victory, stripped the whole Spinward Marches and Deneb Sectors of large numbers of Imperial Naval vessels and took them to Core Sector to do battle for control of the throne.

The Zhodane naval forces, while probably hurting (they did lose), almost certainly outnumbered local Imperial forces after the departure of so many ships headed for the Imperial Core.

It is a widely debated mystery as to why the Zhodani did not exploit this opportunity to avenge themselves for their losses. It is generally believed that if they had, the Zhodani might now today control the Spinward Marches, and more as well.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:32 AM   #63
Pomphis

Alternatively, the zhodani may have been hurt enough that they couldnīt . In which case the admirals could have continued to conquer zhodani worlds.
Did zhodani telepaths influence them to turn around instead ?
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:55 AM   #64
RainOfSteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomphis View Post
Did zhodani telepaths influence them to turn around instead ?
It's a messy and multiply branched conspiracy theory, that's for certain.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #65
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainOfSteel View Post
It's too bad there can't be more of this type of thing.
I'll take that as a compliment, thanks!
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #66
combatmedic
Banned

All the new ideas sound good, guys.

Now I want to play a bard of the spacelanes, travelling from world to world with my handmade clarsach.

The Zhodane Defeat mystery could lead to major debates among historians, as well as weird conspiracy theories.

The Imperial Laureate sounds like a good fit for my vision of the Third Imperium, RoS. With the great cultural diversity among the worlds under the protection of the Imperium, it's likely that past laureate's have come from diverse literary traditions.

RoS's idea of 'Sylean Class' worlds and a Cosmpolitan Main is pretty nifty. I'm not sure if I'd go that far with it, IMTU. I do have some of the same stuff going on, though. Imperial/Sylean culture moved out with settlers and missionaries as well as soliders and administrators.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:28 AM   #67
RainOfSteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
RoS's idea of 'Sylean Class' worlds and a Cosmpolitan Main is pretty nifty.
Thanks. I haven't actually implemented the idea myself. It could be because I may have decided it was too huge a change. Or it may have been too much work.

I think at one point I was waiting for a fan of the game to come out with a new sector mapping tool that would have blown all others away, but then he stopped development and I may have become disillusioned at that point. Who knows now?

It's possible to tone that one way down.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #68
RainOfSteel

Imperial Marhsals

A branch of the MoJ, the Imperial Marshals are one of the most publicly visible forces of the Imperial Government. They guard the Imperial Courts, pursue Imperial Criminals such as pirates or rogue bounty hunters, work on extradition cases, and are the subject of countless media dramas. At least as many young boys and girls dream of growing up to join the Imperial Marshals as ever dream of becoming a heroic Navy sailor or Marine soldier, and it is a well-known fact that knighthood may be granted through this service just as through military service.

Imperial Marshals only work at the Imperial level, and cannot interfere in violations of the law on most worlds. However they are often called in by local world police organizations (via the Local Noble) to assist on difficult cases, both for their high level of training and education, as well as for their access to high tech forensics gear. In these cases, by long standing tradition, they gain full local police powers and jurisdiction in these cases. It then becomes up to the Imperial Marshals (or their superiors), as to how long they remain on the case (but no longer than it takes to solve the case).
Old 10-17-2011, 01:43 PM   #69
jason taylor

Imperial Museum Of The Interstellar Wars

At Capital is a massive complex devoted to storing historical material on the ISW era. The gate is an intricately carved door with a gold panel and the inscription "Once Foes, now friends" in Latin and High Vilani.

The facility contains an immense amount of data as well as models of period equipment including several full sized dreadnoughts kept in permanent orbit. biographies and memoirs of people living at the time. One popular feature is the holosims that keep on record hundreds of different battles with the moves of almost every ship pieced together from study of ship's records, allowing an observer to "refight" each battle from the perspective of any ship in either the Terran or the Vilani fleet.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #70
RainOfSteel

Also snagged. (I will probably be borrowing a bunch from here on.)

I will have mine set up along the Concourse of Monuments* north of Imperial Palace.

* A gigantic concourse over ten kilometers long filled with various monuments and museums dedicated to the history of Charted Space and the Imperium. My Imperial Ministries Plaza is on one end, and the Imperial Services Plaza is on the other. Dulinor's body rested in state here in the largest viewing hall before his body was sent home after he was assassinated.

Last edited by RainOfSteel; 10-17-2011 at 02:42 PM.