Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #1
korbeau

Default New Power: Provoke

I build a power where Intimidation (Will/Average) would trigger the power. I didn't find anything about becoming an attack magnet on a battlefield so, I decide to build it.

I've read Skills for Everyone (P162) and they talk about using a Power Skill (H) for trigger the advantage with a specific Hard skill.

Should I "upgrade" Intimidation to become a Hard Skill?

Then I read Power Technique and try to determine IF I can use a Intimidation Technique (Intimidation-6 by default) to trigger the power but again, they said I must use the Hard Skill and build a technique with it.

Is my only option is to build the skill or technique required with Attribute-6 (in this case, will-6)?

New Power: Provoke
(like Final fantasy III power and not as Provoke from Social Engineering... another name could be more appropriate)
The target enemy attacking you with a uncontrollable rage.

Affliction (Malediction, Disad: Berserk, Ressisted by Will, Trigger with Intimidation skill/Intimidation Technique)
korbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:38 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: New Power: Provoke

By itself, Berserk would just make somebody AoA your nearest ally; go with Compulsion: Attack [user of the power] on sight.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:39 AM   #3
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by korbeau View Post
I build a power where Intimidation (Will/Average) would trigger the power. I didn't find anything about becoming an attack magnet on a battlefield so, I decide to build it.

I've read Skills for Everyone (P162) and they talk about using a Power Skill (H) for trigger the advantage with a specific Hard skill.

Should I "upgrade" Intimidation to become a Hard Skill?

Then I read Power Technique and try to determine IF I can use a Intimidation Technique (Intimidation-6 by default) to trigger the power but again, they said I must use the Hard Skill and build a technique with it.

Is my only option is to build the skill or technique required with Attribute-6 (in this case, will-6)?

New Power: Provoke
(like Final fantasy III power and not as Provoke from Social Engineering... another name could be more appropriate)
The target enemy attacking you with a uncontrollable rage.

Affliction (Malediction, Disad: Berserk, Ressisted by Will, Trigger with Intimidation skill/Intimidation Technique)
I think instead of Berserk (-10) you'd want Berserk w/Battle Rage (-15). However... you need to remember that there are benefits to berserk which you are giving your opponent (they are immune to stun and shock, their injuries cease to cause penalty to their Move, they make HT checks to remain conscious or alive at +4, and they can continue to attack (sure its wild but that won't matter to you if they score a hit against you) until they reach -5xHP). Just something to keep in mind.
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:47 AM   #4
Phantasm

A better build might be:

Mind Control (Accessibility: Only To Provoke Someone To Attack You, -30%; Requires Influence Skill Roll, -0%).

I took the price of the Accessibility as being equal to the Mind Tricks limitation in Psionic Powers, as you're basically doing a "You want to attack me" deal.

As for the Requires Influence Skill Roll, Intimidation would be most notable, but Sex Appeal or Fast-Talk might also be viable skills to use, depending on the concept.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:48 AM   #5
korbeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
I think instead of Berserk (-10) you'd want Berserk w/Battle Rage (-15). However... you need to remember that there are benefits to berserk which you are giving your opponent (they are immune to stun and shock, their injuries cease to cause penalty to their Move, they make HT checks to remain conscious or alive at +4, and they can continue to attack (sure its wild but that won't matter to you if they score a hit against you) until they reach -5xHP). Just something to keep in mind.
Powered-up the power could become something like the Berserk WITHOUT all the advantage but again, more trouble to build it.

For now, need to know how to launch it with a average skill.
After that, i'll try to remove all advantage Berserk give... If you have suggestions.. :)
Old 01-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #6
Varyon

DF2 has rules for taunting foes with Fast Talk and similar, causing them to attack you instead of your allies. You might be able to justify a Perk to let you use Intimidate instead, no Powers necessary.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:01 AM   #7
FireTigeris

Honestly If I'm using mind control at all (even at those rolls) I'm going to have them attack the one I think is the least liked of the enemies, or the strongest of the enemies based on observation- not myself.
Star: S0D, SS.
Zombie: Z1, Z2, Z3, Z4.
Fantasy: M0D, M7, M8, L1, L2, L3, MP, MgP, KB, SK, PA.
FireTigeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:13 AM   #8
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireTigeris View Post
Honestly If I'm using mind control at all (even at those rolls) I'm going to have them attack the one I think is the least liked of the enemies, or the strongest of the enemies based on observation- not myself.
The way I read it, it seemed close to the idea as being the ability of an MMO "tank" type character with this being a kind of taunt, drawing all the aggro so that the opponent's attention is on you so that others can attack the guy with relative impunity, or to draw him away from someone squishier.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:04 AM   #9
korbeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post

Mind Control (Accessibility: Only To Provoke Someone To Attack You, -30%; Requires Influence Skill Roll, -0%).
I can deal with a 35cp cost. But the "provoke" someone, I supposed i can command him to AoA me.. then i just wipe out all advantage of the Berserk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
I took the price of the Accessibility as being equal to the Mind Tricks limitation in Psionic Powers, as you're basically doing a "You want to attack me" deal.
Good guest. I'll give a look at it.

Just find that Power-Up 8 talk about Requires (Skill) roll. That answer the triggering power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
DF2 has rules for taunting foes with Fast Talk and similar, causing them to attack you instead of your allies. You might be able to justify a Perk to let you use Intimidate instead, no Powers necessary.
I don't want lots of skills for many situation; animal handling, religions, Psychology... The context is a typical advantage for my mercenary in the campaign. Using the taunt rules of DF or Provoke in SE is not enought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireTigeris View Post
True... I need something like the Viking in Final Fantasy 3 - becoming an Attack magnet, like what i said earlier

Last edited by korbeau; 01-26-2015 at 10:11 AM.