Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-12-2022, 04:19 PM   #1
Engurrand

Default [MH] Detect Mystic Powers?

My Co-GMs and I have been discussing powers in our Monster Hunters game and an anomaly struck our attention.

For Psi and Magic you can detect the active effects using Psi Sense or Sense Magic rituals. Yet, there doesn't seem to be a similar trait or tool for detecting active Mystic curses or blessings. Is this intentional? An oversight? If intentional, is there a mechanic we're missing that makes having a Detect-based power available unnecessary?

If that's not already clear, consider the following scenario:
Our players are up against a rogue crusader who, through shamanic powers, can force a murder of crows to serve as her spies. The instant the GM mentions a murder of crows in the scene, the players suspect something is up.
  • The Psi uses Psi Sense and detects no psi. (the effect is mystical)
  • The Sage breaks a Sense Magic charm and detects no magic.
  • A Mystic uses Supernatural Sense and detects no supernatural beings (the crows are not supernatural, though they are under a supernatural influence).
  • A different Mystic has Spirit Communication and asks if they can sense any spirits nearby, but there are none.
  • The psi then waves an EWD just to be sure but again it's not psi.
  • The Werewolf asks if they smell anything funny, weird pheromones, unusual stuff that might imply biological tampering with the ravens, but again, they're normal ravens. No Bio-Engineering.
Having tried every power in the book, the PCs conclude the ravens aren't special and move on.

If the Psi had read a crow's mind, then she might have noticed the residue of external influence, but that's an intrusive investigative tactic, usually reserved for after you confirm something is of interest, and at this point, the crows are just one mundane detail of many in an evolving scene. They could have rolled on Theology (Shamanic) or Animal Handling to confirm their suspicion the crows were behaving weirdly, but I'm here to talk about powers.

This may seem niche but it actually comes up a lot. The example is illustrative of a class of 'magical' phenomenon that includes things like noticing that a Mystic is blessed, or noticing that an otherwise unremarkable ring was enchanted by fairy spirits; figuring out whether it's okay to eat an apple in a fairy grove; sorting out which of for hundred goblets is the cup of Christ, and on and on.

So, what power is appropriate for detecting mystic influence and phenomena? Was one of these traits supposed to work? I could see an argument for Meduim. Is there a mechanic we missed that makes the use of superpower unnecessary? Confronting Curses gives mystics two Per rolls to notice a curse, should we have been using those rules re the birds? Or, is it intentional that the only way to detect mystic influence is through mundane skill use analyzing the residue of its passing--some things are just mysterious powers beyond our ken and if you don't call out the exact right skill then you missed it?
Old 08-12-2022, 04:39 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [MH] Detect Mystic Powers?

I'd call it a 10-point Detect.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 05:19 PM   #3
Engurrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I'd call it a 10-point Detect.

No disagreement with you on the scale of the detect rarity. Maybe I should clarify my question. Any of our GMs could build the Detect (Mystic power Use) trait using the rules in Powers, but this is a multi-GM game and when we take recourse to the forums it's because we've gone around a few times about something and don't have a consensus. So, the question is should we add that homebrew?

Do you use that in your games? If so then what convinced you it was necessary?
Or else, if you don't, has it just not come up? Why do you suppose that is? Are we missing some mechanic we should be using?

Last edited by Engurrand; 08-12-2022 at 05:21 PM. Reason: clarity and removing extra spaces
Engurrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 05:33 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engurrand View Post
No disagreement with you on the scale of the detect rarity. Maybe I should clarify my question. Any of our GMs could build the Detect (Mystic power Use) trait using the rules in Powers, but this is a multi-GM game and when we take recourse to the forums it's because we've gone around a few times about something and don't have a consensus. So, the question is should we add that homebrew?

Do you use that in your games? If so then what convinced you it was necessary?
Or else, if you don't, has it just not come up? Why do you suppose that is? Are we missing some mechanic we should be using?
Yes. I do. I've used it to detect holy/cursed objects/places. I've used it to reveal powers from enemy crusaders. I've used it to reveal holy/unholy beings. I didn't consider it necessary, it just seemed like something that should be in the game.

Become a Patron!
Old 08-12-2022, 05:41 PM   #5
Engurrand

You are always very helpful, sir, and I appreciate you.

Mr. Rice's answers carry considerable weight in my circles but if anyone else would also like to chime in an opinion, I'm very interested.
Old 08-12-2022, 05:47 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
You are always very helpful, sir, and I appreciate you.
Thank you. I needed that today. :-)

Become a Patron!
Old 08-12-2022, 06:12 PM   #7
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
So, what power is appropriate for detecting mystic influence and phenomena?
As well as the Detect, an RPM user should be able to come up with a method of detecting mystic influence, via Path of Spirit, once they know that's what's required.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 06:45 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
As well as the Detect, an RPM user should be able to come up with a method of detecting mystic influence, via Path of Spirit, once they know that's what's required.
This follows since Destroy Spirit can create a effect similar to a holy attack to harm creatures who are susceptible to such.

Become a Patron!
Old 08-12-2022, 09:47 PM   #9
KarlKost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Thank you. I needed that today. :-)
Christopher brother, you and many many people that work with our beloved Gurps, you guys are a precious gem, and Im sure there are many people who are grateful to you and the other Gurps writers. We really appreciate all that you do.
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 09:57 PM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKost View Post
Christopher brother, you and many many people that work with our beloved Gurps, you guys are a precious gem, and Im sure there are many people who are grateful to you and the other Gurps writers. We really appreciate all that you do.
Thank you, Karl. :-)

If I'm being honest - we really need to hear it more. Some days it feels like we're just salt miners toiling away in the dark.

Become a Patron!

Tags
detect, monster hunters, mystic hunters