Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2020, 07:30 PM   #1
DataPacRat

Default [Spaceships] Magnetic Shielding above TL8

I remember once reading that 'cold dense plasma' radiation shielding almost made it into the published version of THS; does anyone have any notes on what sort of stats it would have had? How about the magnetic shield I've heard was in an early draft of Spaceships?

I'm working with a mostly-non-superscience, generally-TL10, somewhat-THS-like, 4e setting, and am looking into options for charged-particle shielding for a space probe. I've hit my limit for simply using mass, and the TL8 version of a Magnetic Shielding field-generator in Vehicles Expansion 1 only goes so far. The best option I can think of so far is to draw on the rules from Vehicles Expansion 2 for an energy-only deflector generator, with a Force Screen Rating of around 3 (9 lbs, 0.45 cf, $4500, 45 kW), but 4e GURPS doesn't really do PD anymore, and it's a bit of a guess for me for how to translate PD into a radiation Protection Factor.

For inspirational reading, I found a 1968 proposal at http://www.minimagnetosphere.rl.ac.u...-29306-386.pdf , and some thoughts from 1975 at https://web.archive.org/web/20081201.../4appendD.html .
"Then again, maybe I'm wrong."
DataPacRat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiation, radiation protection, spaceships, tl10, vehicles