Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 12-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #141
robkelk
Untitled

Default Re: Possible "pull quotes" for upcoming Superiors books

(I've done some more WikiQuotes mining... and added one that I spotted on a web forum.)

Christopher

“Over at our place, we're sure of just one thing: everybody in the world was once a child.”
– Walt Disney, 1938

“I do not make films primarily for children. I make them for the child in all of us, whether we be six or sixty. Call the child "innocence". The worst of us is not without innocence, although buried deeply it might be. In my work I try to reach and speak to that innocence, showing it the fun and joy of living; showing it that laughter is healthy; showing it that the human species, although happily ridiculous at times, is still reaching for the stars.”
– Walt Disney

“I have long felt that the way to keep children out of trouble is to keep them interested in things. Lecturing to children is no answer to delinquency. Preaching won't keep youngsters out of trouble, but keeping their minds occupied will.”
– Walt Disney, Deeds Rather Than Words

“Childishness? I think it's the equivalent of never losing your sense of humor. I mean, there's a certain something that you retain. It's the equivalent of not getting so stuffy that you can't laugh at others.”
– Walt Disney, quoted in The Quotable Walt Disney

“That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up. They forget. They don't remember what it's like to be twelve years old. They patronize; they treat children as inferiors. I won't do that.”
– Walt Disney, quoted in The Quotable Walt Disney

Christopher (Backwards)

“It was almost normal for people over thirty to be frightened of their own children. And with good reason, for hardly a week passed in which The Times did not carry a paragraph describing how some eavesdropping little sneak – 'child hero' was the phrase generally used – had overheard some compromising remark and denounced its parents to the Thought Police.”
– George Orwell, 1984

Janus

“'I hate a Roman named Status Quo!' he said to me. 'Stuff your eyes with wonder,' he said, 'live as if you'd drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories. Ask no guarantees, ask for no security, there never was such an animal. And if there were, it would be related to the great sloth which hangs upside down in a tree all day every day, sleeping its life away. To hell with that,' he said, 'shake the tree and knock the great sloth down on his ass.'”
– Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Marc

“Do a good job. You don't have to worry about the money; it will take care of itself. Just do your best work — then try to trump it.”
– Walt Disney, quoted in How to Be Like Walt : Capturing the Magic Every Day of Your Life

“A man should never neglect his family for business.”
– Walt Disney, quoted in How to Be Like Walt : Capturing the Magic Every Day of Your Life

The Archangel of Song

“But then I thought you know, that somewhere in the world, somebody's hiding behind a rock or a tree, or a wall, or something, and somebody else has been shooting at them for quite some time. Somebody's dreaming, somebody's hoping that somewhere, somebody's singing. Somebody's smiling, and laughing, and life is good, and it's fun to be a human being, and it's all right. And I thought man we got to keep that spirit going, you know, and so we got back out on the road. But I think of that every time that we play now. It would be nice to go anywhere in the world to go and do these kind of things and have fun and live right and not be worried about stuff like that. That's my hope, that everywhere in the world that will happen soon.”
– Arlo Guthrie. Live in Sydney

Baal

“The object of waging a war is always to be in a better position in which to wage another war.”
– George Orwell, 1984

Beleth

“There was always a minority afraid of something, and a great majority afraid of the dark, afraid of the future, afraid of the past, afraid of the present, afraid of themselves and shadows of themselves.”
– Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles, "Usher II"

‘"You asked me once," said O'Brien, "what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world."’
– George Orwell, 1984

Belial

“Those who don't build must burn.”

Malphas

“The horrible thing about the Two Minutes Hate was not that one was obliged to act a part, but that it was impossible to avoid joining in.”
– George Orwell, 1984

“If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none.”

"I know perfectly well that the side you support is perfectly rational with a few unforunate fringe groups hanging on while the other side is a bunch of loonys with a few unfortunate dupes"
- "Jinx999", 11 November 2011, on the Drunkard's Walk forums

Saminga

“They're dreadfully fond of beheading people here; the great wonder is, that there's any one left alive!”
– Alice, in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, by Lewis Carroll
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:22 AM   #142
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Janus
"I was goin' 150 miles an hour sideways and 500 feet down at the same time. I knew it was the end. I looked down, I said 'Wow! Some trip.'"
--Arlo Guthrie, Motorcycle Song

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:04 AM   #143
tHEhERETIC

from the TV tropes site. If this doesn't scream Kobal, I don't know what does.

(Quotes: Quotes Looking for an Article)
In every Trooper training class, there is one kid with an impenetrable air of mystery. He doesn't participate in class discussions, and no one can tell what he's thinking. These kids mystify their teachers, and so the thoughtful educators kick them out of school and send them to study under the local Ancient ZenMaster. Invariably, it turns out that these kids are just nearsighted, but by the time anyone finds this out it is too late and they are well on their way to becoming Ninjas.
— BrikWars 2001 Book Three

Another one from my favorite Demon Prince:
Odd that we don't do the same with lesser tragedies. You never hear, "My golf game has gone to prison." Or, "This is an AIDS of a traffic jam."
Max Lucado, on casual use of the word hell

and, with more subtlety, Lucifer:

Bucky: Ferrets are guilty of what is called original sin. Do you know what that is?
Satchel: Yeah, yeah! I've seen that on TV! That's, like, when someone refinishes an old chair and ruins its value, right?
Bucky: I don't think PBS is exposing you to good enough sin.
— Get Fuzzy, Feb. 3 2011

Jordi-- this one I found touching:

Thou who passest on this path,
If haply thou dost mark this monument,
Laugh not, I pray thee, though it is a dog's grave.
Tears fell for me, and the dust was heaped above me
By a master's hand.
—Greek epitaph

Love child of Lilith and Andrealphus:
"You're only a rebel from the waist downwards."
—Winston Smith, Nineteen Eighty-Four

Nybbas, though I could argue this is simply humanity:
"If you say a modern celebrity is an adulterer, a pervert and a drug addict, all it means is that you've read his autobiography."
—P. J. O'Rourke

Oh Michael...
Helix, one day you'll learn that the next best thing to have after a reliable ally is a predictable enemy.
— Sam Starfall, Freefall #1516.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:30 AM   #144
Methariel

I know that Laurence is already out there, but anyway:

"Hurry slowly! A cautious commander is better than a reckless one."
Gaius Octavi(an)us Thurinus, better - and perhaps even more correctly - known as Augustus, quoted after Suetonius, Divus Augustus XXV, 4

(Originally, he spoke those line in ancient Greek, but since my ancient Greek is bad and I don't know how to insert the correct symbols, I present my English translation of the Latin version. - And yes, I think that's the approach that drives Janus mad.)

Asmodeus, I know, already there, too:

"The law may only be broken to seize power, apart from that, it has to be obeyed."
Marcus Tullius Cicero, De officiis III, 82

For a certain Balseraph who managed to Fall as the very first angel:

"People like to believe what they wish to be true."
Gaius Iulius Caesar, De bello Gallico III, 18, 6

And for an alleged Balseraph, Kronos:

"I'm not omniscient, but am aware of much."
Mephistopheles, in Johann Wolfgang von Goethe's Faust I, line 1582

(While he concedes not to know everything, he hides the true extent of his knowledge - keeping his servitors in fear that he might just know this or that detail.)
Old 12-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #145
robkelk
Untitled

Furfur

“But this time our very presence would be an outrage.”
– Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

“When you bring an act into this town, you want to bring it heavy. Don't waste any time with cheap shucks and misdemeanors. Go straight for the jugular. Get right into felonies.”
– Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Old 12-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #146
robkelk
Untitled

(The collected-quotes file is getting a bit big again, so...)

Christopher

“Forgiveness is the answer to the child's dream of a miracle by which what is broken is made whole again, what is soiled is again made clean.”
– Dag Hammarskjöld, Markings

“Maturity: among other things, the unclouded happiness of the child at play, who takes it for granted that he is at one with his play-mates.”

“Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.”
– Margaret Atwood, Cat's Eye

Janus

“The myths have always condemned those who "looked back." Condemned them, whatever the paradise may have been which they were leaving.”

“Never look down to test the ground before taking your next step; only he who keeps his eye fixed on the far horizon will find his right road.”

“The longest journey
Is the journey inwards.
Of him who has chosen his destiny,
Who has started upon his quest
For the source of his being.”

“There is a certain relief in change, even though it be from bad to worse! As I have often found in travelling in a stagecoach, that it is often a comfort to shift one’s position, and be bruised in a new place.”
– Washington Irving, Tales of a Traveler

“While standing on top of Everest, I looked across the valley, towards the other great peak, Makalu, and mentally worked out a route about how it could be climbed… it showed me that, even though I was standing on top of the world, it wasn’t the end of everything for me, by any means. I was still looking beyond to other interesting challenges.”
– attributed to Sir Edmund Hillary, in the foreward to Peak Performance : Business Lessons from the World's Top Sports Organizations

“They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.”
– Dorothy Parker, Sunset Gun

Jean
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.”
“Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts.”
“You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.”
“You’re entitled to your own opinions. You’re not entitled to your own facts.”
– all attributed to Sen. Daniel P. Moynihan; many attributed to James R. Schlesinger

“Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.”
– Bernard Baruch, Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950

“I'm not smart. I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall but Newton was the one who asked why.”
– Bernard Baruch, New York Post, 24 June 1965

“What is a scientist after all? It is a curious man looking through a keyhole, the keyhole of nature, trying to know what’s going on.”
– Jacques-Yves Cousteau, Christian Science Monitor, 21 July 1971

“You can't teach an old dogma new tricks.”
– Dorothy Parker, quoted in The Algonquin Wits

“The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.”
– origin unknown, often attributed to either Dorothy Parker or Ellen Parr

Jordi

“The best way to observe a fish is to become a fish.”
– attributed to Jacques-Yves Cousteau

“All stories are about wolves. All worth repeating, that is. Anything else is sentimental drivel. ... Think about it. There's escaping from the wolves, fighting the wolves, capturing the wolves, taming the wolves. Being thrown to the wolves, or throwing others to the wolves so the wolves will eat them instead of you. Running with the wolf pack. Turning into a wolf. Best of all, turning into the head wolf. No other decent stories exist.”
– Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

Marc

“Now a promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code.”
– Robert Service, The Cremation of Sam McGee

Novalis

“Let us not deceive ourselves: we must elect world peace or world destruction.”
– Bernard Baruch, address to the United Nations Atomic Energy Commission, 14 June 1946

“Our work for peace must begin within the private world of each one of us. To build for man a world without fear, we must be without fear. To build a world of justice, we must be just.”
– Dag Hammarskjöld, UN Press Release SG/360, 22 December 1953

“"To forgive oneself"—? No, that doesn't work: we have to be forgiven. But we can only believe this is possible if we ourselves can forgive.”

“The Eskimo has fifty-two names for snow because it is important to them; there ought to be as many for love.”
– Margaret Atwood, Surfacing

“War is what happens when language fails.”
– Margaret Atwood, The Robber Bride

“What makes loneliness an anguish
Is not that I have no one to share my burden,
But this:

I have only my own burden to bear.”

Oannes

“Under water, man becomes an archangel.”
– Jacques-Yves Cousteau, Time, 28 March 1960

“The sea, once it casts its spell, holds on in its net of wonder forever.”
– attributed to Jacques-Yves Cousteau

the Archangel of Death

“Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment.”

“The sorrow for the dead is the only sorrow from which we refuse to be divorced. Every other wound we seek to heal — every other affliction to forget: but this wound we consider it a duty to keep open — this affliction we cherish and brood over in solitude.”
– Washington Irving, Rural Funerals

“In restaurants we argue
over which of us will pay for your funeral

though the real question is
whether or not I will make you immortal.”

– Margaret Atwood, They eat out

Baal

“In general I might agree with you:
women should not contemplate war,
should not weigh tactics impartially,
or evade the word enemy,
or view both sides and denounce nothing.
Women should march for peace,
or hand out white feathers to arouse bravery,
spit themselves on bayonets
to protect their babies,
whose skulls will be split anyway,
or, having been raped repeatedly,
hang themselves with their own hair.
These are the functions that inspire general comfort.
That, and the knitting of socks for the troops
and a sort of moral cheerleading.”
– Margaret Atwood, The Loneliness of the Military Historian

“But it’s no use asking me for a final statement.
As I say, I deal in tactics.
Also statistics:
for every year of peace there have been four hundred
years of war.”
– Margaret Atwood, The Loneliness of the Military Historian

Beleth

“My solar plexus was tight with fear as I ploughed on. Halfway up I stopped, exhausted. I could look down 10,000 feet between my legs, and I have never felt more insecure.”
– Sir Edmund Hillary, High Adventure : The True Story of the First Ascent of Everest

“Fain would I climb, yet fear I to fall.”
– attributed to Sir Walter Raleigh

Backwards:
“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights.”
– Dag Hammarskjöld, Statement on the 180th anniversary of the Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom, as quoted in Quote, 20 May 1956

Furfur

“When women let their hair down, it means either sexiness or craziness or death, the three by Victorian times having become virtually synonymous.”
– Margaret Atwood, Ophelia Has a Lot to Answer For

Malphas

“Pray that your loneliness may spur you into finding something to live for, great enough to die for.”

“Life's an awfully lonesome affair. You can live close against other people yet your lives never touch.”
– Emily Carr, 16 July 1933, in Hundreds and Thousands: The Journals of Emily Carr

“Scratch a lover, and find a foe.”
– Dorothy Parker, Enough Rope

Saminga

“Thus man passes away; his name perishes from record and recollection; his history is as a tale that is told, and his very monument becomes a ruin.”
– Washington Irving, Westminster Abbey

“The world itself is but a larger prison, out of which some are daily selected for execution.”
– attributed to Sir Walter Raleigh
Old 12-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #147
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post

Oannes

“Under water, man becomes an archangel.”
– Jacques-Yves Cousteau, Time, 28 March 1960
Second time around! (This was the first quote posted in the thread for Oannes, though not with the article citation.)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #148
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Second time around! (This was the first quote posted in the thread for Oannes, though not with the article citation.)
Considering the five different versions of "entitled to your own opinion" in the post, with the only one that had a citation being attributed to someone other than who the other four were, I thought having the citation was reason enough to re-post the quote...
Old 12-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #149
robkelk
Untitled

Beleth

“Who, if I cried out, would hear me among the angels' hierarchies?
And even if one of them pressed me suddenly against his heart:
I would be consumed in that overwhelming existence.
For beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror,
Which we are just able to endure,
And we are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
Every angel is terrifying.”
– Rainer Maria Rilke, Duino Elegies
Old 12-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #150
tHEhERETIC

Found in the FB of a Gothic friend. I'd call it anti-Lilith.

"Freedom is a length of rope, and God wants you to hang yourself with it."
- Castiel of Supernatural

Tags
meta, pop culture, quotes