Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 04-28-2021, 09:10 PM   #31
phiwum

Default Re: Feats!

Oh, I agree with your analysis of the dichotomy, Tippets. So far, I've bought a slew of adventures but have only played the solo ones. I mine the rest for ideas.

Monster collections, on the other hand, are all good to me. They are a source of ideas and an option to toss in when I need one.

Even the adventures, for the most part, fit into many campaigns pretty easily. I could easily play out one of the adventures I've bought, but I've always preferred to do my own.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:42 AM   #32
larsdangly

It' a good insight that published adventures can be a mixed bag, as they are a little like paying someone to fill in your coloring book. I guess I would draw a distinction between adventures that have replay value vs. those that don't. But it is unavoidable that the more you play other people's adventures the less time you spend putting your own creative stamp on your campaigns.

The up side of Legacy Edition, I would say, is that the level of support for at-table play is phenomenal; I can't think of a period in my gaming life when I've felt like I had more useful 'stuff' to mix and match for play sessions, often with minimal or no preparations.

And there is an interesting side to the published adventures that I don't think is true of most other games: most of them come with their own batches of supplies that add to your materials for self-created sessions. The SJG ones include counters and MH tiles that have a lot of replay value as separate components. And, perhaps most importantly, the GB ones now come with NPC and some monster cards - in fact I think the cards associated with
GB adventures might be 1/3 or so of all those now available for the system.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:06 AM   #33
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
The up side of Legacy Edition, I would say, is that the level of support for at-table play is phenomenal; I can't think of a period in my gaming life when I've felt like I had more useful 'stuff' to mix and match for play sessions, often with minimal or no preparations.
No question. The plethora of general purpose game-aids we've been getting is amazing.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:41 AM   #34
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
And, perhaps most importantly, the GB ones now come with NPC and some monster cards - in fact I think the cards associated with
GB adventures might be 1/3 or so of all those now available for the system.
There are about 430 cards now from GB.

Five Perilous Journeys: 63 cards
More Perilous Journeys: 72, 62, and 62 cards: 196
Character Collections: 20, 40, 72, and 40 cards: 172
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:14 AM   #35
larsdangly

That's definitely the majority of all character or monster cards available for the game. I think in ball-park numbers it's 1/3 GB adventure NPCs (and some monsters), 1/3 GB character collections, and 1/3 SJG of various sorts (small fighter cards; wizard cards; monster cards).
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:56 AM   #36
phiwum

Quote:
You've mentioned your use of cards before, Lars, and I've learned a bit from it. I don't usually wing a whole lot when we play. I have a lot planned, but now some of the planning involves drawing some fighter cards and talent cards and seeing what story I can make from them. It's been helpful.

Sadly, I'm cheap, so I have a lot of my components as PDF only. It makes a lot of sense, since I'm playing online anyway, so a PDF viewer with search functionality is always at hand. But thanks to you, I also keep some cards nearby.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feat