Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-08-2024, 09:20 AM   #51
pawsplay

Default Re: On Demand Hardcovers?

If it's 128 pages or less, realistically I'm going to gravitate toward softcover or PDF. I would definitely buy hardcovers of more substantial tomes, but probably not such a purchase every year.

I divested of my most of my GURPS print a number of years back during a move, and have been living in PDF land, but I would like to rebuild my collection, and hardcover core books and Magic are appealing.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 10:29 AM   #52
Jpot

I would love to see 4e back in Hardcover availability.

I've been systematically getting good copies on Ebay. 4e Hardcovers look amazing and handsome on a shelf. There are a few I do not have though, & prices are going up, good deals harder to find.

I don't think anything replaces the majesty of a new RPG hardcover. PDF is convenient and fast - but to own the physical when it comes to books is a timeless joy.

Also, I don't care to have a bunch of devices at a table. It's distracting as people get alerts, emails and texts etc.There's AP mode of course etc but still...everyone sitting around staring at a screen. Let's use RPGs to get off the screens and into one another's company.

Last edited by Jpot; 02-01-2024 at 04:15 AM.
Jpot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 03:46 AM   #53
namada
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparcipx View Post
Unless, like me, you're colour-blind.
I didn't take that into account...lol, but totally makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I'm not colour-blind, but my colour discrimination is poor enough that the colour chapter borders in GURPS books are confusing rather than helpful.
I've never encountered this before now, but that's understandable that you'd rather B&W over color.
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 03:24 PM   #54
mstart7000

Any update to this subject? I want to get my hands on the Hardcovers and Print on Demand might be the way to go. Please provide an update if you can. Thanks
mstart7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM   #55
namada
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstart7000 View Post
Any update to this subject? I want to get my hands on the Hardcovers and Print on Demand might be the way to go. Please provide an update if you can. Thanks
It was a question, never a promise, so I'd not expect an update until it actually happens, if it ever does. You'd probably be wasting your time waiting around for it to happen.
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 12:13 PM   #56
NocTempre

I would consider it, but only if it were "comprehensive", pulling in the various pyramid articles, errata, and extensions. For example, a "Social Engineering" HC that pulled in Pulling Rank, Back To School, Keeping in Contact and potentially even Boadrooms, Cities, and Realms. The availability of condensing the library might justify keeping a print library again in the first place. As it stands now, even the DFRPG box set barely sees any use compared to the reality of digital play being so much better most of the time.
NocTempre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 10:44 PM   #57
Bud

I like hardcovers and agree that 128pp is the over/under. I also prefer B&W to color interior, but it's a minor point.
I have the bulk of the hardcovers, but I think they'd be well received as PoD.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 12:34 PM   #58
SRoach

I'd love to get hardcovers over paperback, but only if they're properly case bound, with the Smith-sewn individual signatures and backer strip.
Perfect binding...isn't.
Perfect binding makes a good magazine.

Heck, I wouldn't mind Smith-sewn "softcover". I don't care about the boards so much as I do the pages being properly, and reliably, sewn together.

As to the smaller, serial, products, how about saddle-stitched, with an attached set of 3-ring loops? Not 3-hole-punched through the paper, which damages the paper over time, but attached loops protruding from the spine. That would let you build your omnibus, section-by-section, as they were released.
A fabric loop would be better, as it wouldn't interfere as much when trying to open it on a table. Although it would complicate getting it back into the binder. Something like the binder-end of one of those Zip-lock pencil bags you can put in a binder. Attached, and flexible, possibly with grommets.

That said, my budget is perennially tight. I only JUST ordered one of the "core" titles, Martial-Arts, and still have a few "critical", "core" titles to collect yet.
SRoach is offline   Reply With Quote