Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 02-12-2022, 04:13 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default GCA5, Defaults, and the art of Riding

Greetings, all!

I decided to try out GCA5 since it's advertised as being faster (speed was a major reason why I never fully moved to GCA in the previous times). So I created a test character, and one of the first things I did was tried to see how quickly it calculates defaults.

I added Animal Handling, raised IQ to 20, raised Animal Handling (Equines) to 30, and added Riding (Equines). And nothing happened. In the sense that Riding is stuck at a low 9. I'm not seeing any sort of checkmark to enable defaulting like GCB had. Am I doing something wrong, or are defaults not working as they should?

Thanks in advance to all who answer!
Old 02-12-2022, 04:57 AM   #2
Farmer

Default Re: GCA5, Defaults, and the art of Riding

I just opened a character I started making earlier this evening, a mage.

I changed IQ to 20 and then added in Animal Handling (Equines) to 30 and the existing Riding (Equines) instantly increased.

Did you ensure you had both Animal Handling (Equines) and Riding (Equines) rather than just, say, Riding?
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 05:44 AM   #3
Imion

That's because Riding in the GURPS Basic Set 4th Ed.--Characters.gdf only defaults to DX and other Riding Specializations as you have to specifiy the Specialization manually.

You can add SK:Animal Handling - 3 or "Animal Handling (Equines)" - 3 (with the quotation marks) to default when you go into the Advanced Edit Traits (Edit/Advanced...).

Last edited by Imion; 02-12-2022 at 05:52 AM.
Imion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 05:51 AM   #4
WingedKagouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imion View Post
That's because Riding in the GURPS Basic Set 4th Ed.--Characters.gdf only defaults to DX and other Riding Specializations as you have to specifiy the Specialization manually.

You can add SK:Animal Handling - 3 or "Animal Handling (Equines)" - 3 (with the quotation marks) to default when you go into the Advanced Edit Traits.
Riding(X) should baseline default to Animal Handling(X) at -3 (per B217) and if it doesn't in the gdf file that's an error.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 06:15 AM   #5
Imion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
Riding(X) should baseline default to Animal Handling(X) at -3 (per B217) and if it doesn't in the gdf file that's an error.
Not sure if there's a way to have GCA automatically check if there are matching Specializations to default from in such a way.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:34 AM   #6
Armin
GCA Prime

There's not any way to match specialization of the skill with things in defaults or whatnot. But there should be. I'll add that to my notes, and see if I can't figure out a way to do that.

We can *at least* add some default Riding specialties to match the Animal Handling ones, and we can change the standard Riding to put the specialty asked for into both the name extension and an Animal Handling default. I think that'll get us a bunch of the way there.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:50 AM   #7
Armin
GCA Prime

Okay, I'll update the Riding skills as I mention, and that change should appear in the next data file update.
Old 02-12-2022, 01:52 PM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
There's not any way to match specialization of the skill with things in defaults or whatnot. But there should be. I'll add that to my notes, and see if I can't figure out a way to do that.

We can *at least* add some default Riding specialties to match the Animal Handling ones, and we can change the standard Riding to put the specialty asked for into both the name extension and an Animal Handling default. I think that'll get us a bunch of the way there.
Thanks for looking into it.
Old 02-13-2022, 01:57 PM   #9
Armin
GCA Prime

I pushed a data update that changes the Riding skill in Basic Set as I suggested above, and includes some preset Riding specialties to match those for Animal Handling.

(I did not deep dive to see if there were Riding skills in other books that need changing, but I probably should at some point.)

Tags
animal handling, defaults, riding