Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-30-2022, 03:50 AM   #1
corwyn

Default Entry level adventure

I'm running some DF noobs in an adventure using Delvers To Grow, probably at the 62 point level. Anyone know of a gurps adv for that level or something I could tweak to that level?

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 06:21 AM   #2
Baldo

Default Re: Entry level adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
I'm running some DF noobs in an adventure using Delvers To Grow, probably at the 62 point level. Anyone know of a gurps adv for that level...
Nope

Quote:
...or something I could tweak to that level?
https://goblinpunch.blogspot.com/202...amb-final.html

The Lair of the Lamb is a good and free adventure for noobs (or a 'normal' group of 62 point level DF adventurers - it's VERY easy to adapt/convert-).
Baldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 03:57 PM   #3
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldo View Post
Nope

https://goblinpunch.blogspot.com/202...amb-final.html

The Lair of the Lamb is a good and free adventure for noobs (or a 'normal' group of 62 point level DF adventurers - it's VERY easy to adapt/convert-).
Malwarebytes says that site has a Trojan.

Old 10-01-2022, 12:00 AM   #4
Baldo

Quote:
Malwarebytes says that site has a Trojan.
?!?

If the blog is compromised, try Google Drive, the author posted the adventure here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w_Z...ny4HP-NK0/view

A fan created and posted the color maps here:
https://imgur.com/a/AzBagSq
Baldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 12:43 AM   #5
corwyn

That's better, thanks. Probably a false positive, but you never know.

Old 10-01-2022, 01:08 AM   #6
sjmdw45

Quote:
I'm running some DF noobs in an adventure using Delvers To Grow, probably at the 62 point level. Anyone know of a gurps adv for that level or something I could tweak to that level?
Crypt of Krysuvik would probably work. You might want to slightly reduce the number of skeletons in the final battle (but keep the main bad guy the same). It's designed for 125 point delvers but 62 point delvers aren't necessarily that much weaker, since DFRPG delvers are deliberately not minmaxed[1]. I think six 62 point delvers could succeed at the adventure, and the adventure has excellent production values, good maps, fun fights, and some interesting legal/cultural concepts that you may decide to steal on a more permanent basis.

[1] It's not like 125 point delvers are built with IQ 11, Magery 1, and Phantom-30; or ST 11, Striking Str +2, Weapon Master (Main Gauche), and Main Gauche-30. The sample 125-point delvers at the back of the adventure are each probably worth in combat as much as two or maybe even three decently-equipped zero-point delvers put together; a 62-point delver is probably worth about one and a half to two zero-point delvers.

Last edited by sjmdw45; 10-01-2022 at 01:22 AM.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 09:52 AM   #7
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45 View Post
The sample 125-point delvers at the back of the adventure are each probably worth in combat as much as two or maybe even three decently-equipped zero-point delvers put together; a 62-point delver is probably worth about one and a half to two zero-point delvers.
My team has been doing fight-tests for the upcoming Nightmare Fuel books involving 62 and 125 point delvers to ensure some threats are viable at lower point levels.

I'm consistently surprised and pleased at how competent and survivable such characters can be.

Where 200-300 point delvers tend to shine is in piling on enough skill or traits that they can do multiple "things" at once:
* Hit several times with rapid strike or extra attack
* Hit once, but in a really favorable hit location
* Ignore a lot of penalties for being wounded while still posing a credible threat

The lower point value characters don't get to say "yes, and..." when they ask "can you do ...?" They say "Yes, but..."

But they still mostly say "yes."
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 11:09 AM   #8
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
My team has been doing fight-tests for the upcoming Nightmare Fuel books involving 62 and 125 point delvers to ensure some threats are viable at lower point levels.

I'm consistently surprised and pleased at how competent and survivable such characters can be.

Where 200-300 point delvers tend to shine is in piling on enough skill or traits that they can do multiple "things" at once:
* Hit several times with rapid strike or extra attack
* Hit once, but in a really favorable hit location
* Ignore a lot of penalties for being wounded while still posing a credible threat

The lower point value characters don't get to say "yes, and..." when they ask "can you do ...?" They say "Yes, but..."

But they still mostly say "yes."
Yeah, and higher-point delvers are also better at dealing with penalties--or imposing penalties on everybody in order to leverage their edge. A 62-point delver on bad footing and inside a Windstorm doing a Move and Attack has a total of -10 to hit and is pretty useless. A 250-point Knight with Polearm-22 (after Weapon Bond) and Extra Attack, however, loves those conditions, because he still hits approximately once a turn, while enemy goblins/minotaurs/puddings/etc. are reduced to effective skill 6--they crit-miss almost as often as they hit! (And then they just get dodged/blocked.) Higher-point delvers are also more likely to be "ensured" against unusual threats via high Will, Mind Shield, high Move, etc. A Mass Sleep that takes out a whole squad of zero-point Will 10 delvers may only take out 1-2 of a squad of heroic 250-point delvers at best, if it isn't nullified entirely via Great Ward.

As you say, the DFRPG/GURPS combat rules are also such that three guys doing one thing each competently (like aiming and firing crossbows, or dodging and retreating) is often as valuable as one guy doing three things at once.

Higher-point delvers are special forces who can succeed under conditions almost nobody else can, but regular troops can still pull their own weight under neutral-to-favorable conditions.

Last edited by sjmdw45; 10-01-2022 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:52 AM   #9
Anders

I think part of the reason is that HP doesn't go up that much. Meaning that monster damage doesn't go up that much because that's not necessary. Makes the progression slower.
Old 10-01-2022, 01:04 PM   #10
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I think part of the reason is that HP doesn't go up that much. Meaning that monster damage doesn't go up that much because that's not necessary. Makes the progression slower.
The fact that the first 10 points of ST/DX/IQ/HT is "free" also helps. If you had to buy them all up from zero, 62-point delvers would be 662-point delvers, and 250-point delvers would be 850-point delvers. They'd look practically identical to each other--on paper.

Obviously that accounting method would vastly understate the differences between regular people and experienced delvers just as the current accounting method overstates them--the truth is somewhere in between, and also nonlinear.

Last edited by sjmdw45; 10-01-2022 at 05:17 PM.