Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-13-2022, 10:01 AM   #81
Anthony

Default Re: (Basic Set; Low Tech) Slinging things

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
As long as you remember that David was using a sling not a slingshot and he was probably as used to it as people in American small towns are used to firearms.
It's possible to have a quite dangerous slingshot, but elastic materials with the right properties aren't particularly available before TL 6.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:08 AM   #82
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It's possible to have a quite dangerous slingshot, but elastic materials with the right properties aren't particularly available before TL 6.
Looking it up in google you are right at least with modern materials. They have sometimes been used by rioters shooting ball bearings. They wouldn't be used for that in the Late Bronze Age/Early Iron Age of course.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:20 AM   #83
Rupert

Quote:
I for a long time wondered if heavy infantry didn't sometimes use slings as small arms. They probably did although an inexpert man couldn't aim a sling (most infantry ranged weapons are fired at To Whom It May Concern anyway). There were few occasions to use them in a shield wall however.
I think the biggest problem with that is that slings take a fair bit of space to use, and heavy infantry needs to be closely spaced. Thus the preference for thrown javelins, axes, and the like.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 11:11 AM   #84
Varyon

Quote:
Looking it up in google you are right at least with modern materials. They have sometimes been used by rioters shooting ball bearings. They wouldn't be used for that in the Late Bronze Age/Early Iron Age of course.
Historically, I don't think there's ever been a Late Bronze Age / Early Iron Age with access to the type of materials needed for slingshots. Indeed, I think the only cultures below TL 5 with access to such materials were Mesoamerican - TL 0, and no slingshots (I believe they did use conventional slings however - ISTR reading some accounts of the performance of the armor of Spanish Conquistadors against the slings of the natives).

For a theoretical TL 1/2 culture that had slingshots, I'd imagine they'd use them with the same projectiles as a conventional sling - modern rioters (and hobbyists for that matter - I don't think Jörg Sprave does a lot of rioting, but I could be mistaken*) use ball bearings not because they are great projectiles (although they are pretty decent) but because they are cheap and readily available. I suspect the materials used to create the elastic bands - basically somewhat-primitive vulcanized natural rubber - wouldn't be useful for much more than hunting small game.

*Cue rioter with sign "Let me show you its features!"

Last edited by Varyon; 06-13-2022 at 12:16 PM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 11:57 AM   #85
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Historically, I don't think there's ever been a Late Bronze Age / Early Iron Age with access to the type of materials needed for slingshots. Indeed, I think the only cultures below TL 5 with access to such materials were Mesoamerican - TL 0, and no slingshots (I believe they did use conventional slings however - ISTR reading some accounts of the performance of the armor of Spanish Conquistadors against the slings of the natives).

For a theoretical TL 1/2 culture that had slingshots, I'd imagine they'd use them with the same projectiles as a conventional sling - modern rioters (and hobbyists for that matter - I don't think Jörg Sprave does a lot of rioting, but I could be mistaken*) use ball bearings not because they are great projectiles (although they are pretty decent) but because they are cheap and readily available. I suspect such materials - basically somewhat-primitive vulcanized natural rubber - wouldn't be useful for much more than hunting small game.

*Cue rioter with sign "Let me show you its features!"
The anecdotes I perused told of using steel balls not rubber.
Old 06-13-2022, 12:00 PM   #86
Anthony

Quote:
The hard part to obtain part of a slingshot is the elastic material (rubber, etc), not the bullet.
Old 06-13-2022, 12:00 PM   #87
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
I think the biggest problem with that is that slings take a fair bit of space to use, and heavy infantry needs to be closely spaced. Thus the preference for thrown javelins, axes, and the like.
Kind of what I said about shield walls. They sound small enough to use just-in-case (kind of for the same reason they still carry knives aside from the fact that they are useful for other things).
Old 06-13-2022, 12:16 PM   #88
Varyon

Quote:
Checking what I wrote, it was... poorly written. The "such materials" I was referencing were the materials for making the slingshot - specifically, the elastic bands it is reliant upon - rather than the materials used for the projectiles. The post has been updated to be a bit more clear.
Old 06-13-2022, 03:54 PM   #89
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
For a theoretical TL 1/2 culture that had slingshots,
Why TL1 with borrowed TL2 specifically?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 05:33 PM   #90
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Why TL1 with borrowed TL2 specifically?
I suspect that they meant something like 'TL1 or TL2.' I do agree that this is one of those areas where GURPS standard TL notation causes issues, though.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sling, training