Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-24-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
Jachra

Default Time-Based Experience

So the rules for this are pretty decent for the most part.
In my game, I intend to, like in Ars Magica, not provide experience for roleplaying or adventures (beyond the hours of experience granted), and, instead, provide other benefits.

My players have some concerns about what this means for initial skills, however - for example, the first point of driving taking 200 hours of practice!

Two suggestions made to me:
1) Move the first point in a skill to 50 hours
2) Change the rate to 100 hours, instead of 200

I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not, or if there's an obvious solution I'm missing (that don't involve giving experience for other things.)
Jachra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Default Re: Time-Based Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jachra View Post
In my game, I intend to, like in Ars Magica, not provide experience for roleplaying or adventures (beyond the hours of experience granted), and, instead, provide other benefits.

My players have some concerns about what this means for initial skills, however - for example, the first point of driving taking 200 hours of practice!

I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not, or if there's an obvious solution I'm missing (that don't involve giving experience for other things.)
You can allow the level below 1 point for 100 hours and the one below that for 50, and give people partial credit for time spent driving mowers and such.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
Jachra

That's potentially doable.

Oh, I totally forgot earlier:
Experience based on AGE
What average aggregate number of points should I give per year? Like in Ars Magica.
What sort of modifiers would this have, reasonably?
Old 12-24-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
That's potentially doable.

Oh, I totally forgot earlier:
Experience based on AGE
What average aggregate number of points should I give per year? Like in Ars Magica.
What sort of modifiers would this have, reasonably?
For no special long term effort at study, a person might accumulate 5 points a year., assuming 2000 hours at a full time job * 1/4 = 2.5 cp for on-the-job training, with a similar amount of time spent in hobbies, if you consider knowledge skills on TV trivia worth tracking. If the job or leisure pursuit involves self- or peer study and research, the multiplier is 1/2, doubling the yield.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard

Last edited by jeff_wilson; 12-25-2011 at 12:07 AM.
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
Dunadin777

Quote:

I have a similar system for my current GURPS Myth campaign--no CP are awarded for anything, instead all advancement comes from time and practice. To help vary advancement, however, I added a simple house-rule. Every 25% of advancement (50 hours for standard learning), the character can make an attribute check for whatever they are trying to improve. On a success, they get a bonus 10% experience, and 25% on a critical success.

This means that certain characters with good luck or natural ability will advance a bit faster, and it helps to keep advancement from feeling like a simple equation. I find that it also helps the players to feel like they have much more attainable thresholds for improving skills at the 2 and 4 point levels, without breaking the system too much.

"I don't think I'm morally obligated to stop this..."
Ten Green Gem Vine--Warrior-poet, bane of highwaymen
Dunadin777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:34 AM   #6
Jachra

That might be good, at least for the first couple.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #7
Gigermann

I experimented with something similar. I left the rules for improvement as they were, but any skills/traits checked against during the session were credited with 10 hours of "intensive training" study time, or 20 for a crit fail/success. Unfortunately, I didn't get a full playtest going, so I couldn't say how well it was working.
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #8
Rastur

use the rules for the Dabbler perk 1/8th of a point equals 25 hours and gives +1 to your default
Rastur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
Captain-Captain

Allow them to Nuke the course when they spend CP to raise a skill one level. "Nuke the course" = 20 hours of study. In theory you can learn two skill in a 40 hour week. Not remotely realistic but does reduce a lot of unavailable time and allows adventuring. Pure study time works well when the setting has harsh crippling winters.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:03 AM   #10
Jachra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain View Post
Allow them to Nuke the course when they spend CP to raise a skill one level. "Nuke the course" = 20 hours of study.
They don't get CP to spend, that's what I implied earlier.

Tags
experience, training