Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-14-2020, 07:06 AM   #11
jason taylor

Default Re: Holyday Archetypes

Bad Scrooge:

Medium Status: Petty Loan Shark
OPH: Hates Christmas

Adva

Wealth

Disadva:

Callous
Greed
Hidebound
Honesty
Miserliness
Misanthropy

Skills:

Accounting
Finance
Merchant
Old 12-14-2020, 07:44 AM   #12
jason taylor

I can't find his write up in Vikings though there is a description.

Slaughtertime and Yule, with obvious relations

Odin:

High Status: King of Asgard
Quirk: Keeps Wolfs and Ravens as pets, Loves heroic humans, enjoys giving hospitality, Likes a good brawl

Advan:

Ally Group: gods and heroes
Claim to Hospitality
Cultural Familiarity (Northern Europe)
Fearlessness
Illuminated
Language Talent
Outdoorsman
Precognition
Rapier Wit
Supernatural Durability

Disad:

CoH (Vikings)
Destiny (Dies at Ragnarok)
Enemy (Jotan, Loki)
Gluttony
One Eye
Secret Itentity (Mysterious Vagrant)
Unusual Background

Skills:

Carrousing
Connoiseur (Mead, Beer, Beef)
Games (riddles, Kings Table)
Hidden Lore
Mage
Occutism
Poetry: Especially Skaldic and Scoptic
Ritual Magic
Savoire-Faire: Teutonic
Shiphandling
Soldier
Spear
Strategy
Symbol Drawing
Tactics (Land, Sea, Guerrilla)

Writing (Runes)

Last edited by jason taylor; 12-15-2020 at 10:14 AM.
jason taylor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:09 AM   #13
RedMattis

Odin definitely has full non-cosmetic shape-shifting. He is most known for intracting with human by taking the form of an old poor wanderer with a long grey beard (hence his nickname longbeard/grey beard); the form that later gave birth to the more Christian-like Santa (and who Coca Cola later made red, jolly and fat :p). Odin did take many other forms though, including animals and humans of both genders. He also has the ability to turn others into strange things (including turning one guy into a dragon)

I don't think I'd call Odin Callous. A bit detached at times perhaps, but he is depicted as testing peoples' worthiness, not being fickle because he doesn't 'care'.

I really don't see Bully. He goes out of his way to protect the world and give gifts to humans he deems worthy/good. He does seem rather pushy though, and can be deceptive, but that is quirks. I don't know if I'd qualify being cruel to giants and supernatural monsters as much of a disadvantage, perhaps a targeted quirk-level sadism. That is otherwise more of a Thor-trait, that guy had to be held back to stop him from killing Skadi f.ex.

I can't recall him being depicted as a warmonger. He certainly waged war, but I don't recall him being depicted as liking the war itself. I'd see it more as him liking a certain ideal of a (fairly just) warrior.

His gift-giving habits seem to come from him promoting some ideal life-philosophy among humans rather than a compulsive behavior. Most of his acts seem to have some moral message e.g. 'the humans were left with an unexpected gift as a reward for their hospitality', or 'due to the humans' pridefulness they were left empty handed', etc.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:19 AM   #14
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
Odin definitely has full non-cosmetic shape-shifting. He is most known for intracting with human by taking the form of an old poor wanderer with a long grey beard (hence his nickname longbeard/grey beard); the form that later gave birth to the more Christian-like Santa (and who Coca Cola later made red, jolly and fat :p). Odin did take many other forms though, including animals and humans of both genders. He also has the ability to turn others into strange things (including turning one guy into a dragon)

I don't think I'd call Odin Callous. A bit detached at times perhaps, but he is depicted as testing peoples' worthiness, not being fickle because he doesn't 'care'.

I really don't see Bully. He goes out of his way to protect the world and give gifts to humans he deems worthy/good. He does seem rather pushy though, and can be deceptive, but that is quirks. I don't know if I'd qualify being cruel to giants and supernatural monsters as much of a disadvantage, perhaps a targeted quirk-level sadism. That is otherwise more of a Thor-trait, that guy had to be held back to stop him from killing Skadi f.ex.

I can't recall him being depicted as a warmonger. He certainly waged war, but I don't recall him being depicted as liking the war itself. I'd see it more as him liking a certain ideal of a (fairly just) warrior.

His gift-giving habits seem to come from him promoting some ideal life-philosophy among humans rather than a compulsive behavior. Most of his acts seem to have some moral message e.g. 'the humans were left with an unexpected gift as a reward for their hospitality', or 'due to the humans' pridefulness they were left empty handed', etc.
Perhaps not Callous or Bully. He is kind of ambiguous and some of his schemes are a little chessmastery. It is hard to picture him not liking war, especially as it was done in Valhalla (which admittedly is kind of like a Cosmic SCA). Liking just warfare seems more in line with what I remember of Tyr.
Old 12-14-2020, 11:04 AM   #15
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Here is a Historical Domain Character that is also an Archetype

For Hannakah:

Judah Maccabee:

Intolerance: Greeks and Hellenizers

Shortsword: Kopis

Note weapons skills are speculative. I really don't know his preference
A few things:
1) Intolerance should be against Hellenizers & Apostate Jews.
The Maccabees had issues with people trying to "mess with" the religion, not Greeks in general.
2) Don't think the Kopis was the shortsword of choice in that time & place.
The Greeks were the successors of Alexander & the prevailing weapon types would probably have been modeled on that.
3) Maccabe means hammer in hebrew. His name translates as Juda the Hammer! IIRC a lot of the stories say it's because he used a hammer as his weapon. (most likely a mace equivalent not a warhammer.)
4) Definitely agree with born war-leader. Lead a successful revolt against a Macedonian successor kingdom.
Not an easy feat!

Last edited by Tinman; 12-14-2020 at 11:13 AM.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:42 PM   #16
RedMattis

Quote:
Perhaps not Callous or Bully. He is kind of ambiguous and some of his schemes are a little chessmastery. It is hard to picture him not liking war, especially as it was done in Valhalla (which admittedly is kind of like a Cosmic SCA). Liking just warfare seems more in line with what I remember of Tyr.
War in Valhalla was more of a wargame, I think. After all everyone was resurrected after the fighting. Anyway, I certainly agree that war is a big part of this character, I'm not sure if it is an involuntary Compulsive Behavior though. I don't exactly see him going "I'm bored! Let's make some previously friendly nations wage war on each other for absolutely no reason.". But I might have missed some depiction of him where he is more foolishly warmongery.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:46 PM   #17
Flyndaran
Untagged

Wasn't the constant battling in Valhalla also preparation for Ragnorok? That seems a bit more important than just after life war gaming.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:56 PM   #18
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Odin:

Disad:
Alcoholism
Alcoholism, really? Sure he drinks alcohol. But is there something in the sagas/myths that says it's out of control (and therefore would probably qualify as Alcoholism)?

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 05:22 PM   #19
Astromancer

Quote:
I can't find his write up in Vikings though there is a description.

Slaughtertime and Yule, with obvious relations

Odin:

High Status: King of Asgard
Quirk: Keeps Wolfs and Ravens as pets, Loves heroic humans, enjoys giving hospitality

Advan:

Ally Group: gods and heroes
Claim to Hospitality
Cultural Familiarity (Northern Europe)
Fearlessness
Illuminated
Language Talent
Outdoorsman
Precognition
Rapier Wit
Supernatural Durability

Disad:

Alcoholism
Bully
Callous
CoH (Vikings)
Compulsive Behavior (likes war)
Compulsive Generosity
Destiny (Dies at Ragnarok)
Enemy (Jotan, Loki)
Gluttony
One Eye
Secret Itentity (Mysterious Vagrant)
Unusual Background

Skills:

Carrousing
Connoiseur (Mead, Beer, Beef)
Games (riddles, Kings Table)
Hidden Lore
Occutism
Poetry: Especially Skaldic and Scoptic
Ritual Magic
Savoire-Faire: Teutonic
Shiphandling
Soldier
Spear
Strategy
Symbol Drawing
Tactics (Land, Sea, Guerrilla)

Writing (Runes)
Where is Magery? Odin was a powerful Wizard/Shaman with a particularly strong gift for illusions and trickery. Also, he travels the Nine Worlds where are the necessary powers to do so?

An additional point, casting spells in Norse Myth required certain actions that mean Odin has to either be bisexual or ready to have sex with men to power his magic. And even the Elder Edda had Odin dress in drag to do magic. It needs to be noted.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 05:47 PM   #20
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
additional point, casting spells in Norse Myth required certain actions that mean Odin has to either be bisexual or ready to have sex with men to power his magic. And even the Elder Edda had Odin dress in drag to do magic. It needs to be noted.
More accurately, AFAICT, casting seidr magic was implied in places to require that, as it was considered an 'unmanly' practice (depending on the source, the implications were more or less specific). Galdr magic was considered manly, and apparently did involves spells (or something like spells). One of the distinctions was that galdr spells were sung, while seidr spells were chanted.

Odin used both galdr and seidr, I think.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character creation, holidays