Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-26-2016, 12:16 PM   #1
Jaware

Default quick question about did advantage limit in conjunction with templets

As the title implies oh so covertly I have a quick question about advantage limits and how they work with templets. Namely race templets and occupation templets.

if you need specifics for instance I'm planning on doing a Ranoc game. Or at least trying to. I haven't done any fantasy games and it's not my strong suite. But since pretty much all of everything has been thought out it in (kudoes to the author and company it's well made I like it) so it should be relatively easy for me to at least practice some fantasy stuff.

anyway. If I'm doing a 150, -75 point game, do I count all the disads up from the various places and count them torwards the disads limit of -75?
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:38 PM   #2
corwyn

Default Re: quick question about did advantage limit in conjunction with templets

Yes for occupational templates (those that replace classes in other games) but no to racial templates. The latter are treated as meta-traits. If either of these are positive they are treated as advantages; if negative they are treated as disads.

So if you have a racial template costing -5 this would count against disad limits.

Occupational template disads all count towards the limit. Remember, unlike racial templates, occupational templates aren't really rules, just guidlines to help in character creation.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:55 PM   #3
dfinlay

Default Re: quick question about did advantage limit in conjunction with templets

Another thing of note is that while what corwyn said is officially correct, disadvantage limits are one of the most common places for GMs to have their own rules and guidelines, so if this is for a character you are making for an actual game, I would advise you to check with your GM as to his/her answer to this question.
dfinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:33 PM   #4
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinlay View Post
Another thing of note is that while what corwyn said is officially correct, disadvantage limits are one of the most common places for GMs to have their own rules and guidelines, so if this is for a character you are making for an actual game, I would advise you to check with your GM as to his/her answer to this question.
Hahahahaha, I am the GM. Hahahaha but yea. I haven't had this particular type of game yet. So it's gonna be an adventure.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:35 PM   #5
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Yes for occupational templates (those that replace classes in other games) but no to racial templates. The latter are treated as meta-traits. If either of these are positive they are treated as advantages; if negative they are treated as disads.

So if you have a racial template costing -5 this would count against disad limits.

Occupational template disads all count towards the limit. Remember, unlike racial templates, occupational templates aren't really rules, just guidlines to help in character creation.
Alright thanks. That's what I was thinking. I wasn't sure but I was thinking that's how it works.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:42 PM   #6
Lia Valenth

Um, Basic Set, Page 11, final part of the Disadvantage Limit section,

" ... Disadvantages that are part of your racial makeup (your “racial template”; see p. 260) are also exempt"

You do not include disadvantages that are part of the race to the disadvantage limit.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:38 PM   #7
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia Valenth View Post
Um, Basic Set, Page 11, final part of the Disadvantage Limit section,

" ... Disadvantages that are part of your racial makeup (your “racial template”; see p. 260) are also exempt"

You do not include disadvantages that are part of the race to the disadvantage limit.
Also, from B120: "Mandatory disadvantages assigned by the GM don’t count against [the disadvantage] limit."

And don't forget that things like lowering Will or Perception below IQ do count against the disadvantage limit.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character creation, disadvantage limit, templet